Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
PraZz
Welcomed New User

Was asking myself this the other day, bored at work

A damage monk or a tank monk?

For the group I am playing now (my first time through the game also) I created a Half orc Monk. I put all points into Strength, So I could go for high damage over high armor (Kill before being killed as it were hehe).

So for fun I create a deep gnome monk and put his points into wisdom and dexerity. And I was amazed at the how high his AC was "25" and as a deep gnome he had few fun and useful racial abilitys that also helped him tank.

So was wondering what types of monk you prefer in your adventures.

More damage more or high evasion.

PraZz

-Excuse mistakes we all makem-
PraZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:08 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I always max Dex and Str, but eventually I plan to try a Dex/Wis Monk/Priest.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:07 AM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I tried that mix(Monk/Priest). Awesome indeed.
I prefer Dex and Wis, his damage is high enough by level, so I only have a 14 str or so.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:49 AM   #4
RedballUK
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Have decided to go with a Monk on my latest attempt at the game (Keep getting bored/fed up with party half way and start re-rolling a new party!!)

Like the idea of the Deep Gnome though. Sounds a good choice for a power/challenge party.

Not going to take a pure Rogue this time, but decided to spread the load across a Monk/Rogue, Bard/Rogue and Ranger/Rogue.

The Monks stats are 16 20 10 12 14 4.

Want him to take the Rogue levels to boost Hide, MS and Open Locks as well as lower level Rogue benefits. Not sure how the Sneak Attack bonus will work. Still have it in my head that this is a 'backstab' which will be difficult unarmed (unless he leaves his nails long!).

On the feats front, is it worth getting Ambidexterity, Two weapon figthing and/or Weapon Finesse. Do they affect unarmed combat??

The Redball
RedballUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Celdemar Gold
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Deep Gnome monk

St 10, dex 20, con 10 int 13, wis 20, chr 1

use ease of use weidu mod and get the monks fist weapon finesse ability.... so +5 attack

choose dodge and expertise....

you looking at starting ac of 25 with dodge, and as expertise goes up... oooo...

using rings etc that increase wisdom, and catsgace, you've got one hard fighting machine

perhaps things have changed with patches etc, but the monks magic resistance stacks with the deep gnomes natural resistance...
coupled with improved evasion, mega saves (of monk and gnomes), you've got yourself one hell of a dude...

this of coure is made possible by weimues ease of use mod.... monks fists based on dex.... brilliant..

finally, change dex as level progreesse... your attacks and ac then increase!

Celdemar.....

ps... who needs a strength bonus when you have loads of 1d20 attack damage rolls at high levels! (use bull's strength, always a good one)