Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2002, 03:30 AM   #1
Cerberus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had to replace my old install of Win98 with WinXP and now IWD won't run! Is this game not copatible with XP?

- Cerberus
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 07:55 AM   #2
SubEffect
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Works fine for me. I recently re-installed so I could play the Trials add-on before IWD2 comes out.

The key to getting games to work on XP is getting the latest video drivers. Go to Windows Update and check out what MS has listed, and if they don't have anything, go to the vendor of your vid card's site.

I solved a nasty blue screen error by getting the latest nVidia drivers and I've never seen a blue screen again. XP is very stable and very compatible with any DX6 + game, you just need to make sure the drivers are.

I can't tell you how many people have "solved" their XP problems by getting updated drivers. In one instance, updated drivers has caused a problem, only to be fixed later with another update, so it's not always 100%...
SubEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 01:10 PM   #3
Tanoch Thas'ala
Banned User

Yea, all three work for me. I have a Radeon, was getting wierd graphics and things, then I updated the drivers and works fine now...
Tanoch Thas'ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 02:45 PM   #4
Cerberus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I suspect that the problem stems from installing WinXP *after* HoW. I'm hoping that a reinstall of IWD/HoW will resolve the issue but i will be looking for the latest drivers as well!

- Cerberus
Old 04-22-2002, 02:46 PM   #5
canadianvixen
Baaz Draconian

Hi There,

Unfortunately the above doesn't always work. I have the latest pc with all the bells and whistles (yes drivers too) and had so many problems with xp and older games that I finally went with a dual boot. There was quite a lengthy thread about this a few weeks back that you may find useful. It has several url's to help you with your xp headaches.

The thread is called "XP?" and was started by rabbit_ate_trix. I believe it's on page 3 or 4 now.

I hope this helps you.
Happy Hunting,
Vixen
Old 04-23-2002, 03:08 PM   #6
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Have you tried running in Windows compatibility mode? You can right click the short-cut that you normally run with, and goto the compatibility mode tab. Then you can try selecting the listed OS's.

(Credit to this clever little gem goes to a chap by the name of wtatashi from the BIS forums)

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 06:13 PM   #7
Cerberus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the input folks!

Uninstalling ID/How and reinstalling it sovled the problem. When I installed WinXP I added a hard drive and the drive letters got swapped around. That was probably the real culprit. In any case I'm back to battling the Verbeeg!

- Cerberus
Old 04-23-2002, 06:27 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

LOL ... sometimes the simplest solution is the best one. Glad it worked out!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote