Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2001, 03:08 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I just cleared the first level of chapter 2 and I am now starting to find some interesting weapons and some armor. Obviously there is more here than you need. In your humble opinion, what weapons and armor do you think are indispensible for each type of class? In other words, what would you keep!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 04:58 PM   #2
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

keep everything in a chest in kuldahur. don;t sell those +1 weapons yet (i save ALL items to sell until after Wyrm's tooth). unless you absolutly need that cash to get a potion of scroll.. or saving up for that nifty magic item; save the stuff to sell later (or, sell items in lots of 16 at a time)
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 09:18 PM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

The thing I was trying to get to in my original post is that now that I am coming to some good magical weapons it gets hard to choose what ones to carry and use and what ones to store as you suggest, Leafy. So much to choose from and so little space to carry. So I was wondering what are some of the best weapons for each class. Am I clear here? It wouldn't surprise me if I am not!
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 02:18 PM   #4
Axterix
Manshoon

Well, best will vary by your playing style. Assuming you have HoW...

My own choices:

I like a fighter with an axe. Pure fighter, grandmaster.

For my clerics, I like slings and either morningstars or maces (both mace category). Basically, I'm looking for weapons of defense, to lower my single cleric's AC even more.

I also like to have a tank that is good with flails. The Flail of Mae is my favorite weapon in the game. Sure, 5% isn't that high of a chance, but you swing it enough, you'll stone plenty of critters.

If you have a paladin, maces are nice as the weapon category includes both morningstars and maces. Between those 2 weapon types, there are quite a few nice weapons, including quite a few with special purposes. And there are nice ones for non-good ones too. The Giving Star which you can buy in the shop, for instance...

Long swords are also nice. Bastard Swords are also quite nice, offering some very useful swords, like Trollsbane (does fire damage every hit, great for putting down trolls and revenants). Overall, I prefer bastard swords over long swords... but that's a personal preference and most of the good bastard swords were added in HoW.

Ranged Weapons: Messenger of Seth and a few other bows are very nice. However, don't neglect crossbows. The Repeating Light Crossbow is the second best ranged weapon in the game... if you get lucky and get it. Overall, I don't care for most crossbows, but still, it is worthwhile to have one character in the party to be good with crossbows instead of bows. Slings are also nice for clerics, druids, mages. Lets them stay out of reach while continueing to use their shields and have a melee weapon in hand.

Special case weapons: Besides Trollsbane (or is it trollslayer?, well, close enough either way), I like the Breathe of Auril. 100% CR is a great weapon to give to a single tank to face frost salamanders and winter wolves while the rest of the party attacks at ranged. Just have a remove curse spell handy. A few fire weapons for the rest of the party is nice to have. Makes putting trolls down much easier. And weapons with resists, typically cold and fire.

Most people don't bother with short swords or clubs... however, there are a few nice ones out there. So it never hurts to have a thief with the ability to use them.

For Armor:
Well, low AC is best, but again, it is useful to stock up on some CR and FR. If you have a fighter/thief, full plate +1 is great, it lets you disarm traps while having plate AC. For rings, I prefer ones that grant AC, saves, or extra attacks/stats for tanks. For casters, ones that grant extra spells. With cloaks, well, take what you can get, as most cloaks will clash with magical armor. Same goes for neck pieces and rings of protection. Elven Chainmail is another nice piece of armor, especially if you have a dual/multiclass mage or a bard.

Things I don't care for:
Anything 2 handed besides bows and crossbows. I like shields. +3 or 4 ac is 15 to 20% chance more of not getting hit, plus whatever else the shield offers. The bit of extra damage just isn't worth it the loss of AC.

Weapons that 'give' extra spells to memorize (sanctified for clerics, mage daggers). These weapons would be nice... except you have to keep them selected. Can't switch to a sling for even a second. Basically, the design of the game makes them worthless. Stupid, they should have given the benefit as long as it was in a ready spot.

*grin*

Of course, I'm still a bit of a packrat. I carry quite a few weapons for different circumstances, and, well, to be honest, rarely use them. The ones that get used are life giving ones, ones with fire damage, and then each gal's main melee weapon.

Anyway, overall, my advice would be to experiment with what you find and draw your own conclusions... you'll learn what you like and what you don't. Keep the best of each for whatever categories of your guys can use it. Try and make sure that every guy has a blunt weapon for undead smashing (or an anti-undead non-blunt weapon... several of those exist). Sometimes you'll have to make some hard choices, but you'll figure it out. Just one more bit of advice though... if it can do fire damage, keep it=)

Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 02:20 PM   #5
Axterix
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
The thing I was trying to get to in my original post is that now that I am coming to some good magical weapons it gets hard to choose what ones to carry and use and what ones to store as you suggest, Leafy. So much to choose from and so little space to carry. So I was wondering what are some of the best weapons for each class. Am I clear here? It wouldn't surprise me if I am not!
Hehe, it isn't a matter of not being clear. Many of us here could rattle of weapon stats and all that, where to find them... but, well, coming across things the first time is part of the thrill of the game. That's why my advice is pretty general, mentioning a few names... but no real stats

Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote