Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2003, 05:33 AM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

I am thinking about a new party because I got fed up with the old one.
I would like to have a 5 person party for faster level ups. I've already got four slots filled up but I can't decide what to use in the fifth one. The four I already have are: lizard fighter, drakon ranger, 2 female hobbits (for lockets) (gadgeteer, bard). For the last character I want an elf, but I can't decide whether to use bishop or priest. Which one would be the better?

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 05:49 AM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

That's a tough one. I would probably go with the pure Caster with that type of party. You can work on the Ranger's magic skills if want when he gets it. The Bishop takes longer to develop and his skills would be spread a bit thin; but that's just me.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:55 AM   #3
sultan

i will preface my response by saying that, personally, i prefer the bishop, hands down, for the majority of party types. the slower levelling is easily offset by the spell variety; you are never caught out without an attacking spell of the right type (single, area, cone, group) and college (fire, earth, etc.).

for this party, the bard/gadg will provide a nice variety of supplementary spells, including magic screen and armorplate, two of the priest-only buffs in the game. therefore, i feel that having a priest as a pure spell caster would overlap too much (although, there are benefits to this as well - as you have multiple people covering off party needs). so, from the multiple choice, i'd say the bishop would offer more to the party.

having said all that, if you are really interested in faster levelling, the bishop will lag behind a bit. since the ranger will cover off alchemy (including mixing for dollars), and the gard/badg combo will cover some priest/psionic buffs, i'd consider going elf mage for the 5th team member. not only do they have a nice range of attacking spells (imo, second in breadth only to the alchemst) but they'll add the enchanted blade and missile shield buffs to your party, which will help survivability.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:12 AM   #4
Halsey
Dungeon Master

dplax:
Sultan gives good advice. The only reason I would chose the Priest over the Bishop would be due to the fact that he/she would be a pure spell caster. This means that you'll get the spell portal much sooner than with your Bishop. In a long game, it means a lot more flexibility. I prefer Bishops is parties of four or under...where the xp's aren't spread around so much.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:43 AM   #5
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Another vote for bishop.

You don't have another character with access to mage spells. And IMO missile shield is one of the most important spells in the game.
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:46 PM   #6
EEWorzelle
Manshoon

The Priest is a wonderful character, and very powerful in many parties. He or she only gets one school of mastery, however.

Another vote for the Bishop.

Sounds like a cool party!
EEWorzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:55 PM   #7
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

I generally don't play with bishops, since they are hard to develop. But then, I also play with full parties. In a smaller party, a bishop is better, as he'll get more experience to learn spells.
HolyWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:00 PM   #8
liz76love
Dungeon Master

I play with a bishop. Even tough I level up slow I think its worth it to be able to pick from the wider variety of spells offered.
liz76love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:43 PM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

...does that help you any...?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:51 PM   #10
bowman_is_god
Dungeon Master

Ive said it before, and ill say it again. Bishops are not worth developing in anything above a 4 person party. Go with the priest.