Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I know some of you out there have played this game and I'm quite impressed by it, but the manual is..well, it'd make a good liner for a hamster cage! LOL It really hasn't got much info.

Can someone tell me how one pick pockets? Do you need a special skill? I'm beginning to think so and I have a Mage for a character. And how do you USE the wizard sight (not sure of the name just now, but it's supposed to let you see an area of the map that's dark). I mean how does one actually make it work? I've tried variations of pointing/clicking and think I'm missing something!

Is the physical or magic shield worth expending mana on? I've not figure out yet if it makes a difference in fights. Should I put more into lightening or spikes or summons etc? I've been using my meteor strike and summoning almost exclusively with the spikes coming in handy for swarms of enemies and.. LOL....mosquitoes! HAHAHAHA... easier to do one 'spike' spell when they're all around than to target each with a sword!
Old 01-03-2004, 05:10 PM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

When I ran a mage, I considered the physical and magic shields to be well worth having. I grabbed them as soon as I could. My main spell was the meteorstrike and the freeze (love that freeze). Hellspikes are also good, especially late in the game.

I never did do the pickpocket bit, even with the thief character, so can't help with that. Ditto for the wizard sight spell, which I don't think I ever used.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh yes! FREEZE is great. I forgot I use that alot, on critters like lizard-men and humans! Doesn't do much good with trolls and undead! LOL

Did you find a mage as competent to finish a game as a survivor/fighter would be? Did you finish all the quests or were some just not possible to finish?

I couldn't get in to kill that vampire for ages! Finally did pick the lock but I wonder if it was a waste of a skill to make lockpicking possible?!
Old 01-03-2004, 09:03 PM   #4
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Now the game is coming back to me again (I've been playing Wiz 8 again and the DD details faded).

What I did with all my characters was to take no more than a point in PP or LP and use items and the thieves guild to build up the points. Pickpocket is useful in only one instance, and that's optional (but worth doing).

My preferred character was a fighter with a few spells, but I did finish the game with a mage, who did complete almost all the quests (there were a couple I missed, but they weren't critical). So yes, the mage is a viable character.

Note: merchant inventories are randomized. The items for sale are chosen the moment you talk to the merchant. I always saved first, because (after I knew the game), I had a good idea of what I wanted. Stocks turn over at different rates for different merchants, with a minimum of 24 hours since your last visit. Most are longer than that.

You need either lockpick 3 or telekinesis 3 to get the door open (TK will move the lever on the wall). Just so you know for the future

Nightowl2
Old 01-04-2004, 02:06 AM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Aha! Thanks for the helpful hints, Nightowl!!! TK will work on such things... now that's one I'd never have guessed!

I'm in Verdistis but haven't done the gardens in Rivertown (Blake, the merchant, hasn't offered me the key yet, apparently doesn't like me enough!) and haven't done Stormfist castle yet....not sure I didn't miss something in the sewers of the town either, as I got up into a few rooms but could see treasure and not get into the rooms, wondered if it was a back way into the castle.

Any suggestions what to finish first?
Old 01-04-2004, 05:52 AM   #6
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi Cloudy i would do the Stormfist castle as late as possible because your teleporterstones will be stolen and you will not get them back before wery late in the game. I would do the thief quests first, then save the boy in the Dark Cave, next clean out the Trolls in the cave at the bridge, then clean out the Church quest this way you get tons of exp hehe
And a hint wery cool to get WERY much exp is to learn "Deadly Gift" spell the get so many "scorpion traps" cages you can get they can be purchased by the "thief" or what it is in the Mercant area on the right side of the "smith" who sale wapons...then when you have many of those go to the Dark Forrest and find the Mountain Trolls then release 2 or 3 spiders they kill the Trolls in no time be sure you have invisible spell on your self because the Trolls kill you in one blow and i think you get 13000 exp for each Troll you kill....

Spoiler
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+

Hint get the portable bed in the abdoned house north of the Abbey it looks like an normale bed but you can take it and put it into your invetory then you can use this to sleep wherever you are. The key to the door is in front of the house only use the "alt" key then you will find it.

[ 01-05-2004, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, the scorpion traps are almost like cheating

I agree, put off going to the castle as long as you can. It's going to turn nasty and you need a fairly strong character to make it through. My first time in the game I went much too early and finally had to restore an earlier save.

Blake won't give you the key until you build up your rep and do something spectacular, such as the orc quests from the captain or saving the boy from the vampire.

The Verdistis sewers are mainly optional; they're meant for gaining experience and treasure. They have nothing to do with the plot itself.

Nightowl2
Old 01-04-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ack, how do you use those traps!? I never have, just sell them because I didn't know what to do with them!

Ok, I kind of figured the sewers added xp and I'm going to do them for that reason, soon as I find a way in! I just did the Cirgon thing (he'd scarred a guys face, turns out the guy slept with his wife, but Cirgon also beat her...etc)...what I wasn't sure about is would it be better to let Cirgon live or to challenge him... I tried letting him go and didn't see if I got any xp.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:44 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Help! I cannot figure out the system for charming items! So far I have only ever been able to add ONE charm to anything, even things with 4 slots! What do I need to do?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:44 PM   #10
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The two of them are a lovely pair, huh? I always let the guy live, and yes, you do get experience for the quest (even tho marked as failed in the journal) when you report back to whatshisname who gave you the job.

As I vaguely recall now, setting traps works something like making the traps skill the current one, then cycling through the trap types until scorpion comes up. Then you click (don't remember if that's left or right click, sorry) where you want the trap placed and there it is, alive and kicking. You would normally do this when an enemy or ten are nearby. I suggest saving the game and playing around with that to get the details set. Then you'll know what to do when a fight really starts.

Nightowl2