Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
Dayhawk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

anyone have some solo tips? i'm just starting the game again and thought solo would make it interesting. i made a thief then before i gained any exp at all i dualed to a mage. just to keep my trap skills and such and make it a bit easier for my first time playing solo. anyways....it took me 2 game WEEKS played to get past the first level of the first dungeon, as opposed to my normal 2 hours and no resting. does anyone have some tips for solo play that may help, or a link to such? not looking for cheese or cheats or anything, just a few helpful pieces of advice.

thanks much
Dayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:20 PM   #2
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Don't die [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
Dayhawk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks, i think. i haven't yet

small spoiler
came very close to it when going into irenicus's lover's room at the poison trap. that damn thing is so effective you can't even get off a slow poison spell cuz it hits so fast.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:41 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Mad

I just ran through Irenicus's Plateau with a level 8 Wizard Slayer (solo). I had 'always toughest spawns' installed as well, so when a fallen solar was summoned...I was toast! I had to use control +Y on it, and really, it's my own loss since they're worth 25,000 xp. But how was I supposed to take one of those out with a level 8 Wizard Slayer using a Long Sword +1? I'm pretty sure my weapon wouldn't have any effect, either.

You should always keep potions on hand, hold on to as many containers (bag of holding, scroll case, gem bag) as possible. Your biggest problem will probably be inventory space, so you'll need those. Try to take on fights one at a time instead of 1 vs. 10, it's much harder that way.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #5
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I would just get the mod that allows you to skip the dungeon with the XP and items and stuff, I mean if you'v played the game before your not really missing much, just some dumb dryads and a couple of Shadow Thieves. BTW for regular tips, get bags and scroll cases and all that stuff, like Lord said. Kensai-mage is a better character mix, try that. Good Luck!
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #6
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Describing more specifically what you had trouble with would make it easier to help you Dayhawk. But I assume that you actually went through the first dungeon as a lvl 1 mage with a few thief abilities then? The dungeon is designed to be fairly easy with a lvl 7-8 party, meaning it'll be hell for a lvl 1 soloist.

Well my advise would be to try to gain as much as experience as possible while doing as little fighting as possible. The reason for your extremely slow beginning was probably that you chose to dual at the start. Mages are weak enough at low levels, but at lvl 1 they are barely capable of beating a diseased gibberling. Just keep on going and you'll most likely find things a lot easier once you gain a few more levels, scribing any scroll you find will give you great XP boosts.

Otherwise, your greatest assets in the beginning are wands and summoning items, make good use of them.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #7
Dayhawk
Elite Waterdeep Guard

that makes more sense. i didn't realize relative level was different. i assumed that a mage proficient in a staff would melee the same at lvl 1 then lvl 7, assuming the same staff and same level of proiciency. much to my dissapointment, you were right. i meleed things to death about the same level which i cast spells. pretty horribly. thank god i got vampiric touch as an innate ability. the quest in the dungeon and the spell scrolls i have brought me up to level 8, so the next time i level my thief skills become active again. i'm hoping it gets a heckuva lot easier from there, and it should theoretically.

Edit: i actually started life as a level one mage with NO thief skills at all, they being inactive until i reach level 9, cuz my thief started at level 8. i guess 16 days sounds pretty reasonable, all things given.

what troubled me were any fight with more than 2 things...i'll be more careful and try to fight 1-2 at a time from now on.

[ 01-13-2004, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Dayhawk ]
Old 01-14-2004, 01:42 AM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
I just ran through Irenicus's Plateau with a level 8 Wizard Slayer (solo). I had 'always toughest spawns' installed as well, so when a fallen solar was summoned...I was toast!
Uhhh....I have trouble believing even Weimer (or Ishan, as he's the one who actually wrote that component) would stretch the "Random Spawn" creature-list for Jon's pad all the way up to Fallen Solar. Are you absolutely sure you're not simply confusing it with the Fallen Devas that come via Improved Ilyich?
Old 01-14-2004, 03:26 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Good catch, SixOfSpades. I did not notice it just now. Thought he was just confused between Always Toughest Spawn and Improved Ilyich.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 01:18 AM   #10
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
Dayhawk,

I guess it's too late for this advice now, but if you're going to solo with a dual-class character, most people keep their first class until they clear the dungeon, and then dual-class sometime after they get out. This is much easier because if you choose your quests carefully, you can gain quite a few levels in the city with minimal fighting.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote