Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2002, 08:11 AM   #1
Gromnir
Dungeon Master

Hi, I'm starting a new game on SoA and was wondering what class to be. I tend to be thieves or Paladins but I want a little change. Thanks!
Thinking of death while living,<br />This is the warrior\'s way<br />thinking of pain when in pleasure.<br />keeps you alive from day to day<br /><br />Time is a great teacher, and then kills all it\'s students.<br /><br />DJG\'s first official helper and second in command. <br /><br />
Gromnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:14 AM   #2
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

Try out a sorcerer, if you are familiar with the spell system so you can pick out the spells you'll need correctly. Otherwise, choose a Generalist Mage. That is my advice. I played a mage, and found it to be very enjoyable, and now I am soloing a sorcerer, and it is trully wonderful! Control no warrior class can give [img]smile.gif[/img]

And try to go solo! A wonderful experience!

[ 09-27-2002, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: TaSSaDaR ]
Old 09-27-2002, 09:43 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I suggest the Sorcerer. Very fun to play with, indeed, and the spell-system is just wonderful (IMO)! But a low-level Sorcerer can often be taken out easily with a party of warriors, so it is smart to memorise Summoning- and Defensive spells.
But believe me, there is nothing like a high-level Sorcerer, atleast not if you have ToB!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:48 AM   #4
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

High level mage kicks a$$es too! My mage did ch[5-7] with little or no effort at all!

In general, playing a spellcasting class will require a lot of thinking, but it is more fun. And, I repeat my suggestion (no assault, but man! you have to try this out!): go solo! My solo mage hit XP cap in ch3 even before going out for Firkaag!!
Old 09-27-2002, 10:19 AM   #5
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

I also agree a sorcerer is a good idea but if you don't like spellcasters try a beserker they are a very powerful class. My dwarf beserker really kicks ass!
Old 09-27-2002, 03:37 PM   #6
Kaltia
Jack Burton

or a general ranger, they rule. An Archer for the slightly more experienced.
I like wild mages, just so much fun to play!

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 04:03 PM   #7
Terl
Dungeon Master

Normally I would suggest a Ranger/Cleric or a Ranger/Mage if demi-human, and and starting out as a Ranger if Human and dualing after 11th level.
But, with the new classes available, it would be short-sighted not to go with a new class. Again, I would start with ont that gets decent HPs.
Don't get me wrong, I love mages, but not at low level. I also can't stand being at 14th level and only having 50-60 HPs. (One fireball or lightning bolt)
The next time out, I will take the Inquisitor for a drive, though I think I would be required to go the distance as I don't believe they can change classes.
Terl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 11:17 PM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

A mage is a fairly good choice; choose a Sorcerer ONLY if you are familiar with the spell system, because you can`t change memorised spells: once you`ve got it, you`ve got it, nothing you can do about it (except cheat).
A Mage on the other hand, you *can* change what spells you have memorised: they aren`t quite as powerful as the Sorc, but they are far easier to play if you`re not used to magic.

Rangers, Druids and Clerics can also be quite powerful, but if you want the most change from a Theif or Paladin out of these three, go for the Druid; Rangers have the thieves stealth ability, clerics have the exact same spells as a Paladin(unless you usually use an Inquisitor).

EDIT:And ofcourse, the Bard.
Bards are actually quite powerful, but alot of people don`t seem to think so. Mainly because the NPC bards in BG and BG2 have hopeless stats, they`d make decent mages, but terrible bards. And the bard is quite a change from anything else, especially with the Bard song. As for kits, I personally like the Jester. However, the most powerful is the Skald in SOA, and the Blade if you go on to ToB (or that might be the other way round...)

[ 09-27-2002, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:45 AM   #9
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
or a general ranger, they rule. An Archer for the slightly more experienced.
I like wild mages, just so much fun to play!
Yay! Another Wild Mage fan!
Old 09-29-2002, 12:21 PM   #10
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

If you want a challenge then do a wizard slayer. During the first chapter they are really hard becuase the only thing magical that they can use are weapons and armour. So that means potions and rings necklaces ect. cant be used. but one of the good things is that he has a bunch of magic resistance and not everyone does that class. just a suggestion. but i have a dwarf wizard slayer named Dolgan who kicks ass i love him.

[ 09-29-2002, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: Lady Blue03 ]