Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2004, 08:02 PM   #11
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Well, they aren't ALL paladins... still, good job.

The main reasons that I like the all paladin idea is 1. saving throws and 2. stat bonus's for CS quest.

For the same reasons, i'm thinking of an all-dreadmaster party next. Oh, the evilness! I think it will be a 3-4 person party, though, since I intend to use deep gnomes and drow.

Update: I've beaten all of chapter 2 without a reload. Sherincal was disapointingly easy: After chucking 2 fireballs at Shery and her friends, I rushed them with all six of my characters The decimated group of baddies fell quickly, and I finished off Shery with a Scorcher. It's fun to just sit back and watch your tanks do the work for a change.

Ye party thus far:

Alex- fighter4/paladin5 (large swords, crossbows)
Marty- fighter4/paladin5 (large swords, hammers)
Jared- paladin2/Morninglord7 (axes, greatswords)
Xavier- paladin7/Painbearer2 (axes, maces)
Gwennia- paladin2/sorceress7 (staves)
Rixnor- rogue1/ranger1/mage6 (the drow) (short blades)

The mage is getting annoying, since I am getting many spells of 4th and 5th level that I want to cast. In the long run, however, I am going to be loving this guy. I'll give him his paladin levels in Dragon's Eye.

[ 12-12-2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:24 AM   #12
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

I HAVE COMPLETED THE GAME! WOOHOO! I died many a time.

Now instead of doing the archer team i said i would do, i'm doing an evil team...except i'm trying to get one of the characters into an unstoppable fighting wizard...

During the last battle, there were only two people left facing Is**r and *ad*e, they were my monk and paladin! Shame there isn't any class for an evil paladin eh?
Old 12-13-2004, 09:31 AM   #13
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

An evil paladin would have so much room for abuse... Think paladin2/ranger1/monk1/dreadmasterx. A total of +2 STR and +6 WIS! I think Ill see if Dalekeeper can do that, but it is going to be cheap.

Update: Limha was dissapointingly easy. My four tanks took a troll each, and my mage and sorceress shot Limha full of Vitrolic Spheres and Fire Arrows. She only got off maybe 2-3 spells, and they were basic. I was very excited about her scroll case! Very nice summoning stuff.

total reload count:4

Note: Vitrolic Sphere is Melf's Acid Arrow on steroids! Jeez! I never really used it much until this game.

[ 12-13-2004, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Old 12-13-2004, 02:32 PM   #14
Vassago
Manshoon

Weimer has a mod that allows you to ignore alignment when creating characters.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:35 PM   #15
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks... I may try it with my next party.

Update: Beastlord

Ridiculously easy! I actually didn't get my buffs up before I accidently saw the first bear. I quickly used emotion:hope (awesome spell, by the way) and some minor buffs. My mages immidiately chucked 4 fireballs at the archers and mages, while the tanks held off the war bears. The beastlord sure ain't high on health, and fell quickly. The only damage I took was one of my tanks getting too close to the fireballs
Old 12-14-2004, 04:27 AM   #16
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

Marty-

Did you find the battle squares easy? It seems that your party do well all together, but what about when one of them is being a lone ranger?

Are your mages sorcerors, or wizards?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #17
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

You got it right, shadowolf. I struggle through the battle squares, since my party is at best a level behind a human in a 6 person party at that point in the game. I intend on returning after clearing out the underdark.

1 mage, 1 sorceress.

On an interesting note, my drow mage has the highest armor class of all of my guys! Unbuffed, too. Of course, he's using Sulo's Hook, expertise lvl 5, and some bracers.

Update: money woes

No boss this time. I can't believe it, but I'm almost out of money after purchasing How To Be An Adventurer. I thought it would be an invaluable assistance to by Drow (and it has been), but I needed to cast Eagle's Splendor to get it whithin my price range! I guess buying Ossy's armor for 4 tanks, the best weapons in each town, and any scroll that I have not yet learned is a tad pricey, even for paladins.

Fortunately I plan on making some cash very soon. Some underdark merchants are going to be very sorry that I ever left Targos [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 12-14-2004, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Old 12-15-2004, 03:59 PM   #18
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Ooh! Though it is VERY un-roleplaying as an all pally party, I did something that I've never done before, and I don't think it ruins the story or anything.

Ahem.

Update: siege of Malavon's Citadel
Yep, I got them. I decided that I wouldn't prebuff to give the drow a fighting chance. I got a first strike in with 2 fireballs courtesy of the sorceress and mage to either side of the citadel, decimating the ranks of goblin fodder. As the elite drow gaurds started pouring through the gate, I held my ground with my 4 tanks while my mages chucked fireball after fireball into the chokepoint. When the melee heated up, I cast emotion:hope and pushed through to the gate. Mally's 2 friends were holding off pretty well, and a fighter and cleric actually had to retreat due to extensive flamestrike wounds. Mally meanwhile could match my mages spell for spell. However, I had my remaining cleric whip out Winged Blight and poke the hell out of Mally [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] to end the spell-off, and my tanks cleaned up the 2 liutenants.

The loot that I didn't find use for got me 70000 gold from the underdark merchants (with the help of a high CHA sorceress and Eagle's Splendor), which I then used to get some better weapons. Course, I then killed the merchants and took their nice items and all the stuff in the chests. A fine day's work, if I do say so myself.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #19
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Update: Hiepherus

EASY! This is just.. too... EASY! The swarms of undead were cake. I cast Emotion:hope and had 2 groups of 3 guys melee rush every enemy in the area. Once I brought the fight to Hephy's door, I used repeated fireballs followed by a sword rush lead by my lead paladin to break through the orog lines and take out the cleric. I then turned my attention to the shades, and they fell quickly. I think I'll level squat a bit now, my guys are just too good (also, time for my paladin levels with my mage)
Old 12-19-2004, 09:47 AM   #20
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Am I posting to myself here, or are all of you getting ready for the holiday season?

Update 1: Thorasskus

The Efreetis were a tad difficult, but with Ice storm and Acid rain they fell quickly. Big T was no harder than a yuan-ti priest with the hp of a iron golem, and he fell quickly. Due to level squating, he was worth 10800 xp!

Update 2: Lost Followers

In depth fight spoilers!

Being rediculously overpowered, I took on the Lost Followers a tad earlier than I normally do. This was probably the toughest fight so far in the game: I actually had to reload ! On my second time around I cast a few buffs and initiated the fight.

step 1: paladin A runs to grab the Cera Sumat, clerics rush the mage and monk, sorceress and mage shred the summoner with spells, warhammer paladin rushes duergar.

step 2: duergar rushes my cleric (annoyingly) so my cleric leads him on a chase. The other cleric chunks the top mage and moves on to the archer. The CS wielding paladin attacks the barbarian. The summoner gets off 2 drowned ones, then dies.

Step 3: CS wielder kills barbarian, fights the monk. The 2nd cleric chunks the archer, then tries unsuccesfully to get the duergars attention. The mages start blasting the duergar and my warhammer wielder fights the drowned ones.

Step 4: CS wielder chunks the monk and helps the other paladin take down the drowned ones. The mages finish off the duergar.

+1 STR, +1 WIS to ALL! Congrats to me!

You know, I seriously am considering taking this party to HoF immidiately. The only reason I am staying is for the items (drakkas chain, that nice +5 staff, iyatchu's scimmy, etc). After the lost followers, I don't think anything will give me a challenge for the rest of the game.