Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2002, 07:56 PM   #11
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Saz,

Right on man, you have made a really good point. Gaming IS about fun, so play what brings you joy and to the 7 Hells with what anyone else thinks!

I love RPG games, have been playing them for many years, but my other favorite genre is fighting games (Street Fighter series). I have also played these for many years and what little time I play games lately is divided between the two.

I grew up hanging out in video arcades, so its been interesting seeing how games have developed in recent years. There is so much out there, so much to play!

I also like to play older games on emulation. Modern games are cool, but there are a few "oldies but goodies" that are just works of art and will always be a testament to how good games can really be.

Don't let the trolls get to you my friend, that's how they get their kicks. Play what you like, and just be happy doing it! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best

Scronan

[ 04-08-2002, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Scronan ]
Old 04-08-2002, 09:23 PM   #12
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

You're damn right sazerac! That's why i came to ironworks forum instead of gamespy's and the vault's. I have no desire to read endless flames from ritalin-sniffing L334 kidz.

Oops... i flamed.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:45 PM   #13
MagiK

Wow Saz...Thanks for defining me...Im a META-GAMER [img]smile.gif[/img] hehehe I loved that term.

any way back on topic, I also do not understand this "game bias" thing..if it isn't your cup o tea thats fine but why do you have to trash talk it? I run into a few other "elitist" issues,
I work with people wo look at me and say "Computer Games are for kids" and have this attitude towardme because I admit to playing them....this from people who take Big ass clubs out and smack the hell out of little balls trying to knock them in holes all day long. Why is golf or tennis or any other pursuit more acceptable a form of recreation than computer games? I hike, I bike, I canoe and I play computer games....is that so weird?

Old 04-09-2002, 04:24 PM   #14
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Well, Ill play just about anything myself. A quick scan of my games folder currently reveals:
Syndicate, warzone 2100, Battle Isle 1,2 and 4, XWing Alliance, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Quake III, Armour Alley, Black and White, Doom Legacy, Mechwarrior 3, Jedi Knight and Half-life.

Not to mention BG1 and BG2.
I've played just about every one one of those games, with the exception of BI 1&2, Armour Alley and Doom Legacy.

Only one of them that I didn't care much for was B&W.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:42 PM   #15
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Earlier today, I was on a discussion board (not IW), talking about Dungeon Siege when some hot-shot posts, "Gaaah! Why are you playing THAT? Don't you know that's a DIABLO clone?" (It isn't, but let's let that go for the time being.)

I've actually had someone in the past say to me, "You play THAT? I can't believe that someone of your intelligence would like that game." (This from a person who never played it, but only read a review of it). *Thank you so much.* In the space of two sentences, that person:

1) Pronounced an opinion about a game he had never played,
2) Questioned my intelligence
3) Questioned my *right* to play that game.

Opinions, anyone? Answers?
You left out a little...

That person revealed their ignorance. Something my mother said rings in my ears whenever someone says something that hurts me in any way:

"Consider the Source".

When I think of that - I am reminded that what someone says doesn't have to be how I feel about something. I have a difficult time not taking things to heart... so I figure if they don't know enough to be kind, then that is not someone I need to deal with.

There is enough in this world to bring you down... what we need more of is uplifting people who make you feel good about who you are.

That is my rant... your topic got me on my soapbox too quick! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2002, 08:46 PM   #16
Epona
Zartan

Well I'll be ****ed if I'm gonna let anyone tell me whether I should be enjoying a game or not.

My favorite games are strategy and RPGs - in fact I don't play much else. CIVIII can keep me sleepless all weekend, and Dungeon Siege is currently attempting the same [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2002, 08:50 PM   #17
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Hey, Saz, I just thought up another elitism: "Gaah, you were on a forum that wasn't Ironworks?"
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 04-09-2002, 09:19 PM   #18
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
Hey, Saz, I just thought up another elitism: "Gaah, you were on a forum that wasn't Ironworks?"
I know. I can't imagine what I was thinking. Oh, yeah, I remember...because of IW being down so much, I was trying to find out info. [img]tongue.gif[/img] See what having the server down so much forces us to do???

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 04-09-2002, 09:29 PM   #19
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
You left out a little...

That person revealed their ignorance. Something my mother said rings in my ears whenever someone says something that hurts me in any way:

"Consider the Source".

When I think of that - I am reminded that what someone says doesn't have to be how I feel about something. I have a difficult time not taking things to heart... so I figure if they don't know enough to be kind, then that is not someone I need to deal with.

There is enough in this world to bring you down... what we need more of is uplifting people who make you feel good about who you are.

That is my rant... your topic got me on my soapbox too quick! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Thank you for that, Jo. [img]smile.gif[/img] Sad thing is, up to that point, that was a person whose opinions I respected. I still do to some extent, but for sure I won't be discussing games around them anymore.

I guess everyone has their blind spots.

Something else I thought of. Do you think that a lot of people may judge games not by the games themselves, but for the bulk of the audience that plays them. For instance, if someone perceives that nobody but prepubescent boys on Ritalin (nod to flibulbuth ) play Diablo, do they judge the entire game on that fact without considering anything else about it? Rock bands sometimes have that problem as well; the press will pan them because of the following they attract rather than for anything about their music. It's not really fair, but then, after all, what is?

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 04-09-2002, 10:12 PM   #20
Encard
Quintesson

I have to agree... fortunately, I haven't had many of this kind of experience, but it's quite irritating when it happens... I guess that's what they created DS for. Err... I meant Devour Soul, not Dungeon Siege. Quite a useful little thing...
Gaah! How can you play that game?!
Come to where I am and I'll explain it...
OK. *Stupid Person arrives*
c dev Stupid
You brutally wrench Stupid Person's soul from their body and slam it back in, horribly injuring them but tiring yourself as well. (or whatever the text it)
Your Devour Soul ###CENSORED### Stupid Person!
Your Devour Soul ###CENSORED### Stupid Person!
Stupid Person is DEAD!!
Muahahaha... take that! Err... *whistles inncocently* I'm not insane... really... [img]smile.gif[/img] Hmm... I can't say I have any great or even not-so-great advice on how to deal with it... I guess you just have to figure that out yourself. *shrug* I just try to keep better company, in general... hmm... *shrug* Not sure what else to say.
Oh, and in case you're wondering, the Devour Soul thing is from a MUD called The Mage's Lair... I used to play it, but in my opinion it has (sadly) gotten a lot worse now, so I stopped. *shrug* Good thing Dungeon Siege came out... my mind was starting to go numb from playing too much D2. *shrug* It's a fun game, but it's not something I can keep playing for too long without playing something else too. Hmm... personally, I don't play much other than RPGs. I've tried some RTS games, but I just can't get too much fun out of those kinds of multiplayer games that have no plot or anything, just trying to outsmart/outbuild/etc the enemy... *shrug* I still play them occasionally, though. Don't really like too many other types of games... I play them every so often, but that's only if I can borrow one from a friend or something, and not really that often, either. *shrug* Starting to get pointless, so I'll just enc it here. [img]smile.gif[/img]