Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I started playing this game again after a long time of not-playing it (I found some demos lying around my house. I love demos. [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and I have dual-classed a level 7 fighter to a mage. I am in dragon's eye

1) Was this a good idea? or should I have dualed earlier or later?
2) Will she be able to use armour and weapons atht fighters can? (If it is aything like BG, shouldn't it be at about lv 7?
3) Will she get her attacks back? She used to have 2 or 3, now only has 1.

Cheers.
DS

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

1) Yes, it was a decent idea. Dual classing at level 7 is a good compromise between power and convenience. You get an extra 1/2 attack per round as a lvl 7 fighter. Lots of people prefer to dual at lvl 9 for the extra WP, maximized HP, and better Thac0. But you can dual at lvl 7 for a very affordable price (64 000 iirc), while the lvl 9 xp cost is quite a bit steeper at 250 000.

2) Yes, you will be able to use your fighter skills when your mage level exceeds your fighter level. However, you will not be able to cast spells while wearing armour - unless you find some elven chain mail.

3) Yes, you will get your attacks and weapon proficiencies back.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
NobleNick
Quintesson

Dragonshadow,

Well said by Aerich. (And he did get the XP numbers right.)

If you are only playing IWD (not going on to HoW) then clvl 7 was probably THE best time to DC. If you were going on to HoW and maybe TotLM then I would have waited to CLVL 9 to get the extra PP (which, BTW, you should be stacking) and HP.

I would point out that even though it takes 250K to get to F(9), it takes ANOTHER 250K (500K total) to get to F(10); whereas it only takes 250K to get to M(10). So, for an extra 250K you can turn your F(9) into a F(10) or into a DC F(9)/M(10).

In any case, your Mage is no pushover. This is an exceptional build for IWD, and certainly a good build, at the very least, for IWD/HoW.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 06-30-2005, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Thanks guys. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yes, I was going to go onto HoW, maybe TotL, but I thought taht 97 HP when she Dced was probably enough.
Note: You can get elven chain in this? I only remeber one suit of anything vaguly like it, and I didn't know you could cast in it?

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yes. The elven chain is random treasure in the Severed Hand. I think there are three possible suits you can get.

If you want, you can save before you enter an area, check for chainmail, and reload until you get it. This can be laborious, but worth it.

I know that there's a chance Kaylessa drops chainmail. You could:

1) save before you enter her tower
2) save right after entering her tower
3) kill her right away and check for chainmail
a) if chainmail is there, reload your game at step 2
b) if chainmail is not there, reload your game at step 1
4) repeat as necessary

Otoh, you don't really need elven chain for your spellcaster in this game. The advantage is that elven chain gives your F/M very good AC in the early-mid game. There are good mage robes around, and they are compatible with a Ring of Protection, whereas magical armour is not, but the robes tend to show up a bit later in the game. I'm playing a d/c F/M right now (clvl 13/17) in TotL on insane, and he hasn't worn armour since Dorn's Deep. Stoneskin and Mirror Image make my F/M the best armoured of all my characters anyway.