Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2002, 10:40 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I wanted to share with you all the terrible fate that I had after I updated my OS and Motherboard last week, thus finding myself unable to access IW from home. It is not a tale for the weak or young. You have been warned...

After trying all my old tricks like clearing out the cache and deleting cookies, then rebooting, I still could not log on. Cyril Darkcloud e-mailed me an excerpt from a post that Lennon made a few days ago taht mentioned problems that occur from the DNS and ICP/IP stuff. None of that I understood. Wel, Memnoch confirmed that for me, and taught me how to go into my DOS Command Prompt and ping the IP address, and that proved that I could successfully ping it. I sent info and recieved info without error. So, his next suggestion was for me to call my ISP and talk with them. I did, and they were not any help. I asked for one of their special techs and he walked me through many steps that involved deleting ICP/IP from my system...including deleting the WINS and WINS2 from my registry. I did all this at his proposal, and after all of that work, I was still unable to connect to Ironworks. I was almost ready to as Ziroc to remove me from Moderatorship.
Yet, this morning when I came into work, I asked Thomas, our System Administrator if he liked solving puzzles that no man could ever solve. I layed it on him. He shook his head and cursed the fool at RoadRunner support for his lack of understanding. Thomas asked me if I could successfully ping IW in the DOS prompt, and I said yes. He said, well since the URL of ironworksforum.com only points to the IP address of IW...then why not skip the URL command and just type in http (colon) (forward slash forward slash) (insert IW IP address here), and that should connect you. You would just be bypassing the URL command that appears to be corrupted.

HE WAS RIGHT! I tried it and it worked. Now, I can connect to Ironworks by using the IP address instead of the URL.

NOW>>>>What can I do to be able to type in Ironworksforum.com and get the page? Is it important enough to care about? Will IW's IP address change, meaning is it a static address or not?

[ 07-30-2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 07-29-2002, 10:53 AM   #2
TheGrandSlayer
Red Wizard of Thay

[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] thats the most touching story I've ever heard...
Old 07-29-2002, 11:00 AM   #3
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I...I...I don't know what to say.That was a touching story.I'm sure that you could make a book about it and send it to the sad book company and make millions!
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 07-29-2002, 11:04 AM   #4
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

congrats!

*hates DOS but knows what you are talking about*
Old 07-29-2002, 01:01 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

OK, sounds like your DNS server is crap. Thats three this week. One in norway, one in america, and one wherever dreamer is. Why are these things all losing IW?

Now, last I checked accessing IW from a machine without DNS (by using the IP directly) didnt work because all the links use the URL. Seems to be working for you though. I dunno. To answer the questions:

1) WHat I'd do is find the post where megabot coudnt get in and follow my advice in there. Of course your further away from the UK servers I gave him, so you might want to look up american equivalents. But if it aint broke (ie you can browse, post and all without any trouble) dont fix it.

2)Its important only in that it prevents you getting to IW easily.

3)IWs IP is static, cos Z owns it.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:05 PM   #6
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hey Andrewas why is this problem only here in the Ironworks Gaming? i have NEWER had any problem at all to log in to any webpages or Web Boards that i can remember for the 15 years i have been on the net so can it bee something wrong with Ziroc`s ISP or servers or maby the Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.2.1.1 that not can handle the trafic here?

[ 07-29-2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-29-2002, 03:19 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
Hey Andrewas why is this problem only here in the Ironworks Gaming? i have NEWER had any problem at all to log in to any webpages or Web Boards that i can remember for the 15 years i have been on the net so can it bee something wrong with Ziroc`s ISP or servers or maby the Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.2.1.1 that not can handle the trafic here?
Good question. The obvious answer would seem to be that Zirocs friends ISP isnt up to scratch - but for the minor fact that the problem is exclusively with other ISPs. I have no idea why DNS servers have this tendency to lose IW.

The server cant handle all the traffic it gets either, but thats only an issue at peak times and is more to do with bandwidth than anything else.

I havent knowingly experienced this myself anywhere - but there have been hunderds of sites over the years that havent worked. I always assume the sites dead - but possibly some of them were just DNS invisible.
Old 07-30-2002, 05:42 AM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

This does NOT sound like a DNS problem... it is a failure to execute the URL command. This is proven by the fact that links work- they all call on the full URL, not the IP.
As mentioned, the IW IP is static, as Z owns the IP 24.26.79.61 aswell as a couple of others.

To fix this,
1. Make sure you have the latest version of whatever browser you use.
2. NEVER call your ISP- if it isn`t a microsoft problem, it`s something you`ve done if you ask them.
3. Other than that, just wait. Get all the new browser versions, and keep trying every now and again. Eventually, it will fix itself; until then, you will still be able to use the IP... if you end up at a stage where you can`t use the links, email me ( maguswizardo@email.com ) and I`ll give you the most basic instructions I can muster to fix it
Old 07-30-2002, 07:06 AM   #9
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGrandSlayer:
[img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img] thats the most touching story I've ever heard...
Isn't it though *crys*
Old 07-30-2002, 08:32 AM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey, guys...Larry from work here. Seems that I still have problems. I could only access the home page of the forums last night. When I clicked on a forum to enter, it would not go. If I typed in the IP + Gen. Con.'s area name...I could access GenCon, but not enter any threads nor see any pictures because all of those have different area names after the IP address. So, to read a thread I would have to type in the IP address of IW, + the forum's name + the thread name.

So...I was talking to somebody last night that was telling me that WindowsXP has some neat networking configuration options that if he helped me timker with...would fill in the void that I am now experienceing.

What do you all think? He says that since my ISP is not running on a DNS, but is substituting for the lack thereof with another option...he said that he could get me running with XP, since XP lets you configure some neat stuff in that area.