Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2003, 11:40 PM   #71
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Fake ass gangsters and fools like 50 cent who brag about being shot and selling crack aren't true hip-hop and never will be.
Sorry Chewbacca, a slight correction - 50 Cent was shot in 2000
Cheers.

*edit* Rereading your post - I see you don't say he wasn't shot. I think he has lived through some of what he raps about though...

[ 06-08-2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 06-09-2003, 01:15 AM   #72
Chewbacca
Zartan

Yeah Leonis,

I didnt mean to imply that $.50 was a fake gangster. The dude did manage to get shot nine times. I did mean to imply he is a fool to glorify violence and reinforce the image that dope-slanging, gun toting ignorance is a legititmate way to live and get out of the Ghetto.

His music ain't half-bad and he's got vocal skillz but the "he said-she said, east-vs-west" shit he's frontin is old stench. Ask 2-Pac and Biggie, or D.J. Scott La Rock, or any fallen rapper, or any fool with a gun getting killed by another fool with a gun.

Of course I am Jaded....I have spent the last four years in the inner-city enviroment having little punks and gangsters arrested for stealing. There is a reason why the highest category for shoplifted CD's is Rap music...

...and it has nothing to due with skin color but the "F@#$ you! What ever what ever I'll do what I want" additude that comes from having egotistical materialistic rolemodels.

I love Hip- Hop... I have since I was 11 years old and they playyed "You Talk Too Much" by the Fat Boys 3 times a day on the radio...It pisses me off that some of it has been Hijacked by the kind of people it has....

[ 06-09-2003, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 06-09-2003, 01:48 AM   #73
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Rap= Retards Attempting Poetry. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yeah you have probably heard it before, deal with it.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 06-09-2003, 10:28 AM   #74
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Chewie, I personally like some of the gangsta rap. And, it's been a big part of rap for a long time. Plus, it's a broad category that includes $.50, who I dislike (though I know Eminem finds him brilliant ), and Eminem, who is not really "gangsta" IMO. Sure, he gets a lot of hate into his music, but that's where he lets it out -- he uses his music as his personal therapy session. And, while he's got the "drive up in the car that they shot PAC in" and other gangsta things in his music, it is certainly much more trailer trash rap and Maurey Pauvich humor and bile than it really is "gangsta."

And, while the Fat Boys were fine to listen to, I was personally more of an NWA fan. Dopeman will be one of rap's best songs always. I guess what I'm saying is that while there are different ways to argue rap became and different things to argue it is "about," gangsta rap *is* part of the genre, a huge part, and has been for 20 years.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #75
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Yeah Leonis,

I didnt mean to imply that $.50 was a fake gangster. The dude did manage to get shot nine times. I did mean to imply he is a fool to glorify violence and reinforce the image that dope-slanging, gun toting ignorance is a legititmate way to live and get out of the Ghetto.

His music ain't half-bad and he's got vocal skillz but the "he said-she said, east-vs-west" shit he's frontin is old stench. Ask 2-Pac and Biggie, or D.J. Scott La Rock, or any fallen rapper, or any fool with a gun getting killed by another fool with a gun.

Of course I am Jaded....I have spent the last four years in the inner-city enviroment having little punks and gangsters arrested for stealing. There is a reason why the highest category for shoplifted CD's is Rap music...

...and it has nothing to due with skin color but the "F@#$ you! What ever what ever I'll do what I want" additude that comes from having egotistical materialistic rolemodels.

I love Hip- Hop... I have since I was 11 years old and they playyed "You Talk Too Much" by the Fat Boys 3 times a day on the radio...It pisses me off that some of it has been Hijacked by the kind of people it has....
I don't think you're jaded man. I find their glorification of violence appaling and their attitudes towards women by and large, obscene.
Some other genres hijacked by similar minds - rock, country, dance, jazz, pop, metal etc... Shamefully, there are damaging morons on every street...

And
Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:

Rap= Retards Attempting Poetry. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Yeah you have probably heard it before, deal with it.
Glad you could contribute so thoughtfully to the conversation, while in the same breath, manage to display such deep compassion for retarded people. My Aunt is retarded. She probably couldn't ever hope to match your scintilating wit. Be proud of yourself! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 10:31 AM   #76
Lovisa
Manshoon

50 cent, Eminem and Fattaru [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 10:33 AM   #77
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Naz, Tupac in no order. They are my faves I guess.
Then you gotta like thugz mansion acustic version.

"A place to spend my quite nights,
time to un wind,
so mch pressure in this life of mine,
i cry at times i once contaplated suicied,
n woulda tried,
but when i held that nine all i could see was my momma eyes."

[ 06-09-2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Dar'tanian ]
Old 06-09-2003, 03:41 PM   #78
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Chewie, I personally like some of the gangsta rap. And, it's been a big part of rap for a long time. Plus, it's a broad category that includes $.50, who I dislike (though I know Eminem finds him brilliant ), and Eminem, who is not really "gangsta" IMO. Sure, he gets a lot of hate into his music, but that's where he lets it out -- he uses his music as his personal therapy session. And, while he's got the "drive up in the car that they shot PAC in" and other gangsta things in his music, it is certainly much more trailer trash rap and Maurey Pauvich humor and bile than it really is "gangsta."

And, while the Fat Boys were fine to listen to, I was personally more of an NWA fan. Dopeman will be one of rap's best songs always. I guess what I'm saying is that while there are different ways to argue rap became and different things to argue it is "about," gangsta rap *is* part of the genre, a huge part, and has been for 20 years.
I really can't discredit "Gangsta Rap" per se. I have always seen gangsta rap as the west coast's version of Public Enemy if you can appreciate the metaphor .

I love Ice-T and Cypress Hill for example. And although I am hard-pressed to believe that all the members of NWA were gangsta before NWA, I like their work for what it is and in relation to the time it came out. Also, Ice-Cube and alot of Dr. Dre's solo and production work is tight.

I really loved Easy-E when I was like 13 or 14, but looking back, he's just:

a homophobe who rhymes
of crimes,
slingin dimes,
but never put in the time. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2003, 04:03 PM   #79
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Nellie, she is so tall ... and handsome and her lyrics are so ... thought-provoking!
So long !<br /><br />R³ aka \"The Ramonster\"(thanks Sir Tainly) - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks - equally proud to be Moiraine\'s \"permanent advocate\" ! - relaunched edition -
Old 06-09-2003, 07:08 PM   #80
Charean
Hathor

Light Bulb

I am old school.

I miss Kool Moe Dee.

I enjoy Will Smith, what can I say?

Tried to listen to Eminem, but I can't hang with those sentiments.