Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Havock
Dungeon Master

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/loca...?storyid=46159

Teen accidentally shoots self in face

New Port Richey, Florida — A teenager has been hospitalized with facial injuries caused when a bullet he found fired while held in a vice, the Pasco County Sheriff's Office reported Wednesday.

The victim, Alex Carman, 15, was taken to Bayfront Medical Center with injuries to the right upper cheek.

Investigators say the Riverridge H.S. student found a 380 bullet on the side of a road, brought it home and put it into a vice. He apparently struck the the primer end of the bullet with a metal screw, causing it to fire.

They say a 22-caliber bullet pierced with a screw was also found near the vice. On the ground was a hammer and a small pool of blood.

Investigators say it "appears Alex placed the bullet in the vice, hammered a screw into the primer causing the bullet to explode."

They say it appears to be an accidental injury. There were no charges.

This is more proof that sometimes natural selection still works.

http://www.myspace.com/measuredingrey
Havock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Idiot.
But alas, he survived and is still capable of reproduction(facial scars nonwithstanding), so he doesn't qualify for a Darwin...
Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Stupid... and perhaps stupider yet!

See, if he hit the primer side of the bullet, odds are he was standing on that side, and the bullet would go the other direction.

But depending on how he put the bullet in the vise, that would only have been possible if the casing were in the vise and the bullet itself was not.

If the bullet were clamped down, it probably would have stayed, and the casing would have fired off like a bullet. That could certainly hit his face.

If he clamped the bullet in sideways, then the casing probably would have exploded, and shrapnel could have said hello to his face.

Yet the story says that a bullet with a screw in it was found. I really don't see how putting a screw in a bullet (not the casing) would do anything that would cause it to fire.

Even putting a screw into the casing where the primer is would be suspect. Some sort of impact is required.... perhaps he slipped with the screwdriver, but again, he'd be behind the bullet, and vise position becomes important again.

Okay, so it's the last working day of the year, I'm rather bored, and this is way too much detail for someone's stupidity...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Reporter's mis-interpretation of knowledge always impresses me!

So Dufus finds a bullet. Big deal. Really, Dufus finds a cartridge, a .380 caliber cartridge at that. For our European audience a .380 is a 9mm short, (kurz).

They found a .22 caliber bullet with a screw in it. Now is this a true bullet, or is this another cartridge? What does a screw embedded .22 caliber bullet have to do with a .380 cartridge? Nothing! However, it lends to the story that Dufus has a history of palying with bullets, or is it cartridges? There was also a pool of blood. Outstanding! So he did in fact induce pain and injury. But to whom? Where did the blood come from? Whose blood is it?

Reporter says that Dufus caused the bullet to fire. However, the investigators say it exploded. Well duh! A bullet CANNOT fire. ~ Period. All stupidity should stop right there! A bullet is a projectile. A bullet is what leaves the barrel and enters the target medium. A cartridge cannot fire without a BARREL! Any ground squirrel knows that! However, under the right circumstances, a cartridge will explode without a barrel! Say for instance it was held in a vice and the primer was smacked by a screw from a hammer!

The last sentence really worries me. It is still under quote, but I'm hoping and praying that the reporter blotched this pretty bad. If the bullet did in fact explode, Florida has an issue far greater that stupid reporters and folks incapable of placing a correct vote ballot. To my knowledge, only the Federal Government is authorized exploding bullets. DOD, FBI, CIA. No state is authorized, nor is local police, or even the Guard while not on active status. However, there are no agencies that I'm aware of that uses such a diminutive caliber. Therefore, I'm thinking this is blotched reporting and not factual evidence. However, if this is in fact an exploding bullet, it must be the biggest topic at the moment. For even such a small bullet as a .380, if it is in fact packing an explosive charge, it could more than likely breach current SWAT team body armor, and would make 'swiss cheese' of regular street cop armor! This IS a big deal!

Whose blood was found at the site?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Zebodog

No conspiracy here Felix, simply a reporter oversimplyfing the matter for the common civiliian.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

...and himself.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

That's... rediculous. Facing the business end of a bullet when hammering it isn't the best of ideas...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmmm.... the only way you could *really* face the business end would be to hold it between your knees or something like that...

... in which case, it probably would have damaged something besides his *ahem* face, and he may indeed have removed his ability to reproduce...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I love how sloppy usage of firearm vocabulary always sends Felix into a mini-rant. [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 PM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

And now for my rant .....

This can not be a Darwin award nominee, he has not removed himself from the gene pool [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote