Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2002, 01:32 PM   #1
dale
Manshoon

I'm wondering how much trap/lock skill is really needed.

I know that there are other ways to deal with locks and traps, but would like to hear from others as to how much they have and what was really needed.

I spend a moderate amount of time training on each chest (inspect/inspect/inspect/....).

My bard has a Trap/lock skill of 85 now. I've done the various wilderness areas and the retro-dungeons. One of them had a 10 tumbler lock that she managed to pick (after several trys).

Its been a long time since I saw a chest that I could not have opened easily.

Am I going to run into some more difficult locks/chests as I finish the Umpani/T'Rang quests? Have not been to the sea caves nor Assension Peak yet -- but that is probably about all I have not done.

What is the lowest Trap/lock skill that people have finished with? (without needing much Knock-Knock spell or force or bash/grin & bear it).
Old 03-03-2002, 01:39 PM   #2
Pyrates
Drow Warrior

Hmm, my Trap&Locks skill is fairly high, too, but if you're willing to by one or the other Lockpick or have someone with Knock-Knock, then I think about 60 suffices, but you'll only need that stuff for the locks with 10 tumblers. All trapped chests I found up to now (near to the very end) were fairly easy to open, I guess 60 is a good amount of skill points for that...

Never forget your towel, cheers
Philipp
Old 03-03-2002, 01:54 PM   #3
Annheiser
Manshoon

Remember you can get a Thieves Buckler fairly easily for a +10 in Lock/Traps. Lke Pyrates said though, if you have someone to cast Knock Knock, and Divine Traps, or you have some Knock Knock wands (there are plenty out there on to pick up), you really don't need that high of a score.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:21 PM   #4
V^^^^V
Elite Waterdeep Guard

On the risk of appearing totaly ignorant, what does Divine traps actually do? I've used it but never actully noticed it doing anything...maybe I need to read the description again..
V^^^^V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 05:25 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Divine Trap gives a boost to the traps skill for examining and disarming the particular chest. The detrapper has a better chance of figuring out the trap and making it harmless. If you have no one with detrapping, the spell is useless.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 05:30 PM   #6
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Personally I let my Bishop and Ranger open locks with knock-knock spells, training earth magic with that spell on a vault is way faster than raising the locks skill and more useful. Have never spent a minute practicing on locks or devoted one level-up point to that skill. I have a Gadgeteer who doesn't do windows or locks
Old 03-03-2002, 08:33 PM   #7
ice3
Drow Warrior

Yes as most say in the 60 is way enough. With the thiefs bucker you can open the 10 locks slots. Of course having maxed INT and DEX will help. If you are to lazy to stay 5 minuts in fornt of the lonk cast a knock-knock or Divine Trap. It never fails.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:57 PM   #8
Nix
The Magister

Well, I have 2 bishops with divine traps/knock-knock and a bard with 16 lock/traps skill plus the thieves buckler. We can open anything.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote