Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 11:22 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

The past few days, I've experienced constant static while in Windows, for as long as my boxes are turned on. The only major change I've made this week, is installing DirectX 9.0, but the problems didn't start until the next day, when I installed a new game (Haegemonia).
Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?
Old 11-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Maybe the volume's too high on your speakers or your speakers have decided to get old? Another possible source is if you have the microphone feeding through to the speakers and the mic volume's up. Go to volume control and make sure the mic volume in playback properties is on mute.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-12-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Maybe the volume's too high on your speakers or your speakers have decided to get old? Another possible source is if you have the microphone feeding through to the speakers and the mic volume's up. Go to volume control and make sure the mic volume in playback properties is on mute.
Good thinking [img]smile.gif[/img] Unfortunately, the Mic. volume is on mute, the speakers are brandnew and the volume is fine Maybe its a driver issue?
Old 11-12-2003, 11:44 AM   #4
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I'm not sure about it being a driver issue. Don't know enough about sound-cards but I can't really imagine drivers causing static - drivers are just the "interface" between applications and the sound card hardware. We don't even know if the static is coming from the sound card or the speakers. Try using some different speakers or headphones plugged directly into the sound card speaker out socket to see if there's still static. Then we'll know what's causing it and then maybe I can give more advice...
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-12-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Buy the Audigy 2

It's under $100. I am not referring to the Platinum version.

I love mine. It works better than I could have imagined, with the only bug being that NWN makes the speakers resort to 2.1...and I have to manually turn the 5.1 back on when I am through playing.
Old 11-12-2003, 12:57 PM   #6
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Sometimes the key to finding and solving problems is to remove the possibilities one by one. Try the following:

1. Check the power supply to the speaker.

2. Check the cables from the sound card to the speakers.

3. Remove speakers and attach headset directly, check if the problem is eliminated.

4. Turn the volume on the speakers up and down, sometimes "dry join" from the volume control might be the cause of the interference.

5. Switch off the PC and check if the sound card is firmly attached in the slot.

6. Switch off the PC, open up the chasis and more the sound card away from the other cards (if the slots are not fully uitlized).

7. Move other electrical devices away from the speakers or from the CPU. Devices like cell phones do generate interference with the speakers from time to time, especially true for GSM mobile phones.

8. Last but not least, download and reinstall the SB drivers.

I hope the above tips would be any help to you.

[ 11-12-2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 11-12-2003, 03:25 PM   #7
Zero Alpha

i think the most likely cause is you have a power cable near the sound signal cable. best way to get static on your speakers
Old 11-13-2003, 12:40 AM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

This card is buggy with many games. If I remember right Larry had one and I suggested he buy a new one to play NWN's properly. Before you do anything rash uninstall this new game you put in and see if the problems fix. If so, you can remain without this game or upgrade your card.

[ 11-13-2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 11-14-2003, 09:30 AM   #9
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Buy the Audigy 2

It's under $100. I am not referring to the Platinum version.

I love mine. It works better than I could have imagined, with the only bug being that NWN makes the speakers resort to 2.1...and I have to manually turn the 5.1 back on when I am through playing.
Best advice anyone can giev you. Anything under an Audigy will not even work with XP to begin with should you ever upgrade (at least not to it's full capability)

I recently bought a SB Live 5.1 with the Live Drive and considering I'm running XP, I went through hell with it. I did manage to get it to work with third party drivers but the card wasn't doing all it was supposed to, or at least it didn't seem like it.
I upgraded to an Audigy 2 which the Live Drive happily attached to and it was the best money I'd ever spent. Although if you're not running XP, you'll probably only encounter minor bugs here and there, I'd still recommend the Audigy 2 (heck even the Audigy) if you could fork out the extra cash.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:07 AM   #10
Skunk
Banned User

Strange - I have *never* had any problems with my SB Live card, not with the upgrade to Windows XP, or with the drivers from the manufacturer's site and have yet to come across a game where I experienced sound problems.

That card was probably the best investment I ever made - at four years old, it's the oldest item of hardware in my system, and I've never seen a need to replace it.. [img]smile.gif[/img]