Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 10:39 PM   #91
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Why are you assuming LofA needs to change himself...it is these very generalizations that are getting you into deeper and deeper water!

you make it sound like I am going to drawn

SSJ4Sephiroth

I told LoA to change because that is one thing I can do other than throwing insults his way, fair? I dont have time and energy for ... people like that

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 09-06-2001).]
Old 09-06-2001, 10:40 PM   #92
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
250, it seems as if you are thanking people who only agree with your opinion. are you saying that only these people are right? do you not respect the opinions of those who dont agree with you, despite the fact that they're legion here? we're not going to change just because of some post you made, because we are who we are, and we're as good as we want to be. some of us dont WANT to be strong, or super-successful. strenght isnt for everybody, and some people are afraid of success.

I don't necessarily agree with all of 250's opinions.
I just think this thread having resorted to ideal bashing and name calling has gone on far enough.
Some people are being diplomatic while others are showing their asses and it has become something ugly based on using your intelligence to better yourself and your life.

All of should keep in mind that one person's mindset does not have to be our own (this includes 250) and that what works for some is not necessarily the solution for others.

Am I rich? Hell no! I don't have a dime that I can call my own! Will I retire with a significant amount of savings and investments to provide for me before I die?
Well if I live to retirement age, I am hoping that by that time I can say yes I will, but nothing is sure except death and taxes so who is to say that what I choose to save and invest will in the end be enough? I'm not worried about it. I am happy. If I die happy, all the more power to me.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-06-2001, 10:42 PM   #93
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Well if I live to retirement age, I am hoping that by that time I can say yes I will, but nothing is sure except death and taxes so who is to say that what I choose to save and invest will in the end be enough? I'm not worried about it. I am happy. If I die happy, all the more power to me.

regardless all posts before this. these words alone held my deepest respect for you
Old 09-06-2001, 10:49 PM   #94
Moni

Thank you 250
I love ya man!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-06-2001, 11:12 PM   #95
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
no shit, I will not end up working for someone

and it is "we cannot do this" & "we cannot do that" makes you less than satisfied in your life.

the best salesman talks about "how to sell what others cannot sell"

the best investor talks about "how to predict something others cannot predict"

the best scientist talks about "how to find a solution to problems that others think no solutions"

the best revolutionist talks about "how to change a society and people's well being when most people are suffering, and it seems to have no hope"

the best lawyer talks about "winning a case that is impossible to win"

the best you can do is to stop thinking about what you cannot do

the least you can do is start looking for ways to acheieve financial independence
250, I've not read the entire thread yet, just the beginning and ending and well, eef, dear! You seem to be tossing about ideas that are good for you but a might insulting to lots of folk! Now, nothing wrong with a good debate and making people think! Far from it, but it's always a better idea to discuss and not insult. I have had a few good conversations with you- heck I was very impressed by your 'love' thread and over the time you've been here, I've noticed a big change in your posts. I like what I've seen til now. This one..well, it does disturb me insofar as it seems like you are upset and lashing out at people. Is there a specific reason? Or are you just in one of those moods? (I know about those too, done it a few times, myself! )

that said, well, to answer you in some way:

I don't have a high paying job with high prestige- do you consider me less than intelligent? I don't. I use my intelligence for many things,but somehow strict personal gain never came into the mix. I'd like to add that fate/luck whatever you'd call it can make even the best plans fall apart for even the most intelligent person. hehe.. Love can do that too

Ok- I'm not really sure I grasp all your meaning here but I'll try and answer-

working for someone else- why is that so bad? I know for some it's a matter of pride, but I don't classify pride with intelligence- they are not necessarily mutually inclusive! (nor exclusive)

cannot do this.. etc - well, we can't always have/do what we'd like. Sorry fact of life but that IS how things are for the majority of us. Even if we have lots of money or our dream jobs, there will always be something we lack or we can't have/do. Yet there ARE many things we can have and many we can do that we want to achieve. So, I take my balance and agree to live with the way it is.

The rest of your points seem to be pep rally themes! That is, odes to confidence in oneself and that's ok, we all need to perk up our self-confidence at times! I personally believe in optimism, it's a much nicer way to deal with life than pessimism.

I don't know what started all this, but I do know this much- I hate seeing misunderstandings lead to angry words and dislike/distrust/disrespect. I hope everyone can cool down and resume in a respectful manner or say byebye to this topic for now.

Melusine- I cannot begin to say how inspiring you are as a human being. And you have a kind, gentle, warm disposition while being intellectually challenging to boot! Don't take this thread to heart, Sarah... it's an excercise in futility and you know better than that!

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-06-2001, 11:20 PM   #96
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Robert Kiyasoki is right

we can never make some people understand certain things. this is not an insulte, it is just a fact. no matter how hard we try, some people just won't understand.

well, I accept the fact. and to Cloudbringer: your words are nice. if you say "byebye" to the topic, so "byebye" it shall be

well, that is just the volcano side of me, and yes, I felt like bashing people when I posted this, but it is all good now. thanks for being so caring.

Old 09-06-2001, 11:24 PM   #97
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
my point is: you are not so much smarter than anyone else!
I am not, you are not, Yorick is not, Cloudbringer is not, Memnoch is not ...

the things that count are your discipline, mental stength, and desire to acheive something (and faith and curiousity, in Yorick's)

that is what make those people so wonderful
Ahh.. now this I can agree with. But not so much that nobody is smarter than anyone else, because you know what? There is always someone better than me and worse than me in any category I care to name. I try very hard to remember humility... because when I see where I am in the scheme of things I am ever so grateful to God for everything I have. 250, I think I know what is going on in that very busy brain of yours, or at least I've seen a flash of light from it.. *grin*. There are so many things that go into life and no, intelligence is not the biggest! I for one, feel that those qualities you mention, faith, mental strength, desire to achieve, curiosity.. etc are very important parts of living. As are LOVE for others, no matter if you LIKE them or not and love for God... but that's a religious idea so I'll move on .

Love, laughter, the ability to love oneself and others and laugh with others and at oneself. These are so very important in life! Wisdom, well, that sure counts for a lot in my book! Sometimes wish I had a wee bit more of it than I do!
Diplomacy, whoa! 250, this is one skill I firmly believe most people need to learn and use, it can take one very far in life. And before I get the flames.. being diplomatic does NOT mean giving up your own beliefs and/or principles. It means listening to others carefully and attempting to make your points without unduly insulting or offending them. Granted it's not always possible, but I sure like to try! *goes looking for Yorick and Memsy, her mentors in that dept.*

CB

------------------

Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
Old 09-07-2001, 12:04 AM   #98
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Robert Kiyasoki is right

we can never make some people understand certain things. this is not an insulte, it is just a fact. no matter how hard we try, some people just won't understand.

well, I accept the fact. and to Cloudbringer: your words are nice. if you say "byebye" to the topic, so "byebye" it shall be

well, that is just the volcano side of me, and yes, I felt like bashing people when I posted this, but it is all good now. thanks for being so caring.

Aww... you know.. you are a real sweetie when you want to be, 250!

Yup, I care... plain and simple. I don't like to see anyone feeling hurt or inferior if I can help it. You either, buddy! Oh and you know.. if I were a mod... hehe... well, I'd be much nicer than that Genie fella.. you know.. *snicker* (ok, so I HAVE to razz him sometime....it's my calling )

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
Old 09-07-2001, 03:54 AM   #99
Vampire

250, didn't you post the wise post on love. Where has the wisdom gone?

------------------
Old 09-07-2001, 05:24 AM   #100
Vampire

After a quick reconsideration in the shower, I think I WILL join 250 to a certain degree in this topic. Therefore my previous posts are not AS valid. Previously I said:

“ I am only 18. I am planning on getting rich in the future” As true as that maybe, it is of little consequences because 250 refers to now, neither the past nor the future.

So my 1st post and Kaz’s post are not so valid in this debate. This brings me to my main point.

Sure everyone here is not the crème de la crème of society. But so what 250? In the depth of heart we all know and agree with you. We are not super smart and is not at the moment rich nor “successful” by all means. We can initiate a huge debate on the meaning of success, content and hedonism. However, that is neither here nor there in my argument.

My point is:

“ Sure we are not the crème de la crème, but what is the point of pointing this out so very bluntly 250?? After all we all know this to a degree. So quit calling everyone losers since we all have different standards. I think this is out of your character? But I have my moments of wisdom and madness and so should everyone.”

Remember when I posted “IWD is the worst RPG ever” a couple days ago? Epona and Gyruss flamed me heavily for that. That was my moment of madness. I managed to bluff my way through two pages. Sure I dug a huge hole like you’ve just done! But there is no shame in saying sorry. I can’t speak for everyone but I KNOW what you mean. It’s just there isn’t much point in posting a thread on this. No worries as I for one agree with you but sometimes we mustn’t always type what we think! Ooops!

As with defining success, which dominates the responses, only clouds the issue making it more complicated than it needs to be. The point is we all know success shouldn’t be measured by anything except the individual concerned happiness. I think everyone will agree with this. There now that’s done!

In page 3/4 (?) Museline and 250 got very close to my point!!!!!! 250 said rather arrogantly through reflex “ the difference between you and me is I said it”. Damn True. Blunt as a hammer. But that is in the style of this thread, no? I think if we pause and ponder this issue like I did in the shower, then we will see 250 is right. HE IS! But HE SHOULD NOT POST THIS as a thread. There is nothing to be gained and everything to be exploited by posting it. But I give it up to 250 for his undying bravery. How long will you last 250? I hope I have convinced most to stop flaming 250 for speaking the truth so VERY bluntly and await his apology, as he has somewhat insulted everyone here including himself.

------------------