Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2003, 09:10 AM   #1
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'm currently soloing a fighter mage and was wondering if there was any point to increasing my intelligence score above 18?
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I depends on the number of levels you are going to put into each class, particularly in the mage class.

If you aren't planning on being to able cast 9th level spells, then anything above an 18 would potentially be wasted, as it is your BASE intelligence that determines the level of spells you can cast. If you going to have something with a LOT more mage levels than fighter (say something like 20mage / 10 fighter) then that last point in intelligence might be very useful. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Remember that you gain bonus mage spells for any intelligence score that is 12 or higher.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'm planning on doing it 50-50, so what would you recomend? Also, what level of spells will i be able to cast with 18 int, and how many bonus spells do i get with that?
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:01 AM   #4
Micah Foehammer

A fighter 15 / mage 15 will not be able to cast 9th level spells so don't bother with the extra point in intelligence (I think you cap out at 8th level spells). Remember that the cap is at 30 TOTAL levels, not 30 levels per class.

IIRC, (and this is strictly from memory so I could be wrong) you will get the following bonus spells with an 18 intelligence:

2 1st level
1 2nd level
1 3rd level
1 4th level

There is a chart in the manual that details bonus spells for high attribute spellcasters.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 06-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer

ALMOST got it right ... it's ONE bonus first level spell, not two. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2003, 12:32 AM   #6
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Thanks, for your help. I think what i'll do is 18 mage/12 fighter, i really want those high level(9) spells. I found my manual, so i can check those charts myself now, but thanks anyways. BTW, about what level will i be at the end of the game?
Old 06-11-2003, 01:07 AM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

AFAIK, with soloing you can reach level 30.... you dont have Hof btw i assume?
Old 06-11-2003, 09:14 AM   #8
Micah Foehammer

If you solo, you should be able to reach level 30 and I think you can do it WITHOUT resorting to Heart of Fury mode. Not sure though.

Since your going to have a fairly sizeable split between mage and fighter levels, make sure you pick a race that either has NO favored class OR pick one with wizards as favored class. That way you will avoid ECL penalties. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2003, 09:56 AM   #9
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

So far i have this:

Male Human Chaotic good Fighter(2)/Mage(2)
Str: 14
Dex: 14
Con: 12
Int: 19
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

Keep getting kicked around by goblins!! Only have 32 hitpoints.
Im at the point where EARLY GAME SPOILERS
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
talking to Shawford Crale will trigger the goblin attack on the walls
Old 06-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #10
J'aran
Mephistopheles

At that point in the game, it's wise to rely on spells for protection only, so use Mage Armor or Shield, Minor Mirror Image or Protection from Evil, and then melee your way through that battle, using missile weapons anytime you're not confronted at close range. Remember that you can go to the priest in Shawford's house for free full healing at any time during that fight. My own solo Ftr/Wiz had quite an easy time there, though I have to admit that he's a Svirfneblin, so he had a substantial AC bonus and could cast Mirror Image, Blur and Invisibility, spells that you don't have access to just yet.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote