Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2002, 05:54 AM   #1
Jaegan
Dungeon Master

When I was playing the game, I noticed that there were several Japanese words(or names) in the game. First the sword "Yamato" which you can buy at watchers keep. Yamato being the clan that brought Japan together and the greatest battleship in history. Another is Tomoko, Sarevoks girlfriend, that is a fairly common name in Japan. Another would be Sendai, I dont remeber the meaning but I know its a Japanese word... maybe Ill find out soon. There was one more I think...In SoA there was a thief inside the shadow thieves guild right at the entrance.. I believe she had a Japanese name too... Maybe there is more though.. Also Yaga Shura is NOT a Japanese name.(you probably know that though)
Omega, drows of destruction,live power that brings doom. <br />Fo the blades that shed blood, Fo all the most powerful. <br />Tis the blade that waits, Raw it wants, Tis the blade that desires wake. <br />I try to find the drows that waits to kill.
Jaegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:17 AM   #2
Sorcerer Alex

Well Jaegan, in Faerun, they have a continent comparable to Japan/China called Kara-Tur, this is where Yoshimo comes from (SoA). This is why you find weapons such as Yakizashis and Ninja-Tos too. This Kara-Tura influence in the game is quite noticeable in the aforementioned weapons, but also in the names of people you mentioned yourself.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:56 AM   #3
Tanoch Thas'ala
Banned User

Also, there is a series of books called I think Legend of the Five Rings..about different Clans...one is Scorpion. Kachiko's (from Clan Scorpion) wakazashi is for sale I think from Jouluv(sp) in the Inn?tavern where you fight in the arena...Copper Coronet? Anyway Jolouv(sp) is one of the bonus merchants...not th eone in Adventure's Mart...
Tanoch Thas'ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 02:25 PM   #4
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I believe Yoshimo speaks Japanese in the game?

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

This may be a triggered voice.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:36 PM   #6
Jaegan
Dungeon Master

Oh yeah, now I remember what Sendai is, Sendai is a Japanese City or town way up north from tokyo and past another area called Urabandai. Also I was wondering how you know about Kara-tur? Cause Ive never heard of it before in the game...
Omega, drows of destruction,live power that brings doom. <br />Fo the blades that shed blood, Fo all the most powerful. <br />Tis the blade that waits, Raw it wants, Tis the blade that desires wake. <br />I try to find the drows that waits to kill.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:46 PM   #7
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Kara-Tur is the " oriental " land in the forgotten realms game setting for the pen and paper version of D&D. They also have an Arabian setting called " Al-Quadim " and if you go waaaaaaaaaaaay , waaaaay back they had a mexican/south american seting called "Maztica"
Old 05-09-2002, 02:09 AM   #8
hermit09
Dungeon Master

Hello. I have studied a little japanese, and while I think there is no such word as "Yaga", I´m pretty sure the word "Shura" means something like a battlefield, or a scene of great destruction, and it could also refer to the name of the god of war, "Ashura".

Also, it was the name of a character from the Saint Seiya anime, the Capricorn saint.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:47 AM   #9
Jaegan
Dungeon Master

Yeah thats what it means. I wonder what it would be like if there was a class like a samurai?... Actually it be really strange..
btw Any words from other languages?
Old 05-09-2002, 07:03 AM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

there is a lot in arabic....