Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2004, 06:32 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

I know this has been asked before and I did checked on the previous post but Im still not sure if I got this correctly. The previous posted were based on people starting with a new wireless connection.

Here is the thing, I have a lan connection already existing that is already wired into a DSL connection which is pretty good. I have a computer (far away from the network) that I want to connect via wireless to the wired network. What do I need? I know you need a wireless adapter for my computer and a access point (although I dont know what do you need it for). Now the problem is how do I integrate my wireless connection to the network. Do I install a wireless lan card on the server and channel the internet thru there or there is a gadget which you can install on the network router. Budget options please cuz Im a student [img]smile.gif[/img] and Im hoping to spend as little as possible.

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-18-2004, 06:46 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

oh yeah before I forget, my OS is win2000 and the networking uses only Win98 so just to let you guys know. And the current existing network uses netgear so Im hoping using different brands wont affect anything.

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-18-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
philip
Galvatron

Well we have a router and a wireless network card. Cable in router, wired to 1 computer and wireless to my computer.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

No Idea about your problem, just wanted to post here because Iđ, on my way home in a bus, and while waiting for the bus to take of I found out that the wireless signal from my university reaches the terminal area... cool,,, [img]smile.gif[/img] it's almost 3 km's away or so...
Old 03-18-2004, 05:10 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, the basics...

Your computer needs a NIC. That's a Network Interface Card, and that's how it communicates on the network. It can be wired or wireless.

In either case, the network has to receive it. A router, switch, or hub will do the trick. Or an access point, but more on that later.

If you're wired, a cable (cat-5) goes from the NIC to the router (or whatever). Your internet connection is wired into a router (or whatever), and everyone communicates happily.

When you're wireless, instead of using a cat-5 cable, you use radio waves. Or something like that. So you need something to receive them on the other side. That's also a router, hub, switch, or access point. That router (or whatever) is then connected via a wire to the rest of the network.

So what you need is an access point and a wireless NIC. Plug the access point into the network and configure it. Put the NIC in the computer and configure it. When both are done, you're ready to go.

Of course, that wireless router (or whatever) isn't too smart. It will let anyone connect to your network. So you'll probably want to go through the three levels of security to make sure no one else gets on there:

1. Don't broadcast your SSID (network ID) -- access point configuration

2. Use WEP -- a wireless encrypted password -- to secure the actual connection

3. Lock down access to only those MAC addresses (NICs) that you recognize. Every NIC has its own unique address (if it's from a reputable manufacturer), so you can decide which NICs are allowed on your network.

All three of these things are done when you administer the router (or whatever).

Give that a shot and see what happens.

*edit* Forgot to mention that you should pick up a copy of NetStumbler (it's a free download) so you can see what wireless networks are around (including yours). It can be... enlightening...

[ 03-18-2004, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:03 PM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmm.. thanks for the info Bungleau but im still puzzled.

so what i have to do since i already have an existing wired connection is I should connect a wireless router (or access point) to the existing router and just put a wireless lan card to my computer and thats it?

im not what you mean by NIC. arent those the cards for laptops?

here is a online store which im basing thier prices on. http://www.cheapcomputer.com.au/

when i go to thier network products for example: netgear, products.. i just need to focus on router and pci wireless lan card right? so that would cost 250 (or so) AUD? what is the access point for?

isnt NIC this one?

isnt that for laptop?

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-18-2004, 09:26 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Sorry to butt in, but can someone tell me is an ethernet card in effect a network card and does it do the same thing or are they somehow different?
Old 03-18-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

ethernet card is a lan card therefore can be used as a network card. i have no idea of those card networks they are talking about except for a fact i know that they use it for laptops only.

note: card networks is i mean the picture i posted above.

[ 03-18-2004, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-18-2004, 10:04 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

You only mentioned a DSL connection. Is this so far a single connection and you want to build from the DSL up?

If so you need a router, and some other gear.

Here is what you should be looking towards concerning wireless NIC:
http://www.usr.com/products/networki...sp?sku=USR2216

It goes well with one of these (sweet):
http://www.usr.com/products/networki...sp?sku=USR8022

I like it for all of it's functions. Wired/ wireless router, and hard cable printer hub.

Range is about 300'(LOS(Line of Sight)) if my memory is correct, and reduces greatly the more hard stuff it has to pass through. If you are on multi level platform, I believe the range is reduced to about 75' (Not LOS).

I have just the opposite of your configuartion;
Wireless high speed internet; wired in home USR router, and NIC cards to all nodes.

[ 03-18-2004, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 03-18-2004, 10:16 PM   #10
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Spirit Warrior -- ethernet card or network card, two names for the same thing.

Harkoliar -- you posted a picture of a wireless Network Interface Card (NIC) for a laptop. A NIC for a desktop machine is (usually) a circuit board you install inside your machine. Both laptops and desktops could have wireless NICs (with some kind of antenna) or NICs with a plug for a network cable.

You said "I should connect a wireless router (or access point) to the existing router and just put a wireless lan card to my computer and thats it?" YES! Your wireless access point might have a built-in router, so it could replace your existing router, but it wouldn't hurt to have both on your network. And don't forget Bungleau's security tips, so neighbors & strangers living nearby can't use your network (& maybe look at your hard drive!) without your permission.

Re: "what is the access point for?" It just takes the data moving through the (hard-wired) network and sends it out over the air (so your laptop can pick it up), and it takes the data coming over the air (from your laptop) and puts it onto the wired network.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!