Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2004, 07:13 PM   #11
Sythe
Ra

I didn't wear green today.....thus I got pinched many many times.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:33 PM   #12
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

I have a question.. who is st. patrick?

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-17-2004, 08:00 PM   #13
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

The Irish version is primarily a religious and bank holiday, celebrated by relaxing at home with family and friends after Church Mass. In that spirit, let's concentrate on Patrick, the man behind the myth.

The facts of his life are relatively few. In actuality, there are more places named after him than provable deeds. He was one of the most celebrated missionaries of all time, and he is Ireland's patron saint, but no one seems to know where he was born or exactly where or when he died. Some say March 17, 461 AD, others believe 493 AD. His burial place is unknown. He set down many of his own views on his life and mission.

His original writings have long since disappeared, but copies were made by faithful monks who kept civilization alive by copying manuscripts, and were well-known literature in the Dark Ages. By his own telling, he was born in Britain of well-to-do parents who farmed. He probably lived near the west coast because he was captured by Irish raiders at the age of sixteen and sold into slavery. He worked as a shepherd for six years until he escaped and returned to his homeland. However, visions and the "voice of the Irish" called him back to Ireland sixteen years after his escape, and he spent more than thirty years traveling, preaching, and establishing churches.

St. Patrick is not the first to have brought Christianity to Ireland. Other sources show evidence of missionaries being sent to Ireland as early as 431 AD. Within two hundred years after St. Patrick's death, legends about his deeds had begun to proliferate until it is difficult to distinguish fact from fiction. We can be certain that the number of churches established was closer to 90 than the 365 some attribute to him. What is known is that he exerted a powerful influence on Ireland, transforming her from a pagan country with many ancient religious practices and beliefs into a Christian community.

http://www.thatsthespirit.com/en/ent...sh_History.asp
Old 03-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #14
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Let me see now. Donut, Whackmeister, Spade, dplax, Rataxes, Xen, Sythe, and Harkolier, you all did not post in any form of green and are hereby and thusforth to be considered cyber-pinched!! Hah!! Oh yeah, Happy St. Patty's Day!! *Does a little jig then disappears into the rainbow*

[ 03-17-2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Firestormalpha ]

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 03-17-2004, 08:45 PM   #15
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Old 03-17-2004, 08:51 PM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Happy Saint Patty's day, all. Corned beef and cabbage, green beer, good fellowship, and joy to all.

An Irish drinking toast...

Here's to the Frenchman who loves his wine,
the German who loves his beer.
The Englishman loves his half-and-half
because it brings good cheer.
The Scotsman loves his whisky straight
because it brings him dizziness.
But the Irishman has no choice at all,
So he drinks the whole damn business!

[img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]

Whoa! KFG putting on the green! Nice....

[ 03-17-2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:22 PM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

An Irish blessing for all of ya on this here Paddys Day 2004.

May the road rise to meet you,
And the wind be ever at your back,
And as you travel the road ahead,
May the lord hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Now with that over with I'm off out to get absolutely plastered. See you in like, a week or sommat.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:05 AM   #18
Epona
Zartan

I am drunk.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:43 AM   #19
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Let me see now. Donut, Whackmeister, Spade, dplax, Rataxes, Xen, Sythe, and Harkolier, you all did not post in any form of green and are hereby and thusforth to be considered cyber-pinched!! Hah!! Oh yeah, Happy St. Patty's Day!! *Does a little jig then disappears into the rainbow*
Perhaps they're comfortable enough in what Irishness they have (if any) to not have to flaunt it.
And now, some Irishisms.

May those who love us, love us.
Those who hate us, may God turn their hearts.
And if he doesn't, may he turn their ankles, so we will know them by their walk!

You only have two things to consider: Are you sick or are you healthy?
If you are healthy, you have nothing to worry about.
If you are sick, you have two things to consider: Are you going to live or are you going to die?
If you are going to live, you have nothing to worry about.
If you are going to die, you have two things to consider: Are you going to heaven or are you going to hell?
If you are going to heaven, you have nothing to worry about.
If you are going to hell, you'll be too damn busy shaking hands with friends that you won't have anything to worry about.

EDIT- I can't believe it. I'm free. I'm FREE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Red Dragon suits me better anyway. I'm certainly vain enough, if I do say so myself.
But I'm so happy! Finally free of that hideous thing.

[ 03-18-2004, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Illumina Drathiran'ar ]

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:15 AM   #20
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

thanks pritchke that info was very helpful.

Catch me if you can..