Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2003, 05:44 PM   #1
Featherstone
Dungeon Master

Hi All
Your assistance is needed as I have a playing problem. Ill list all I know here and take up the advice if given

Problem: When I enter Brimloch Roon the town, oncve I enter I see the ships, water and 1 or 2 buildings. All of these I can interact with. I also have the Left Right arrows. Once I try and scroll to the right, the picture scrolls slightly and thats it. I cant see the other buildings
BUT the secondary problem associated with the first is, after the scrolling issue when I try to access a building the graphics stuffs up and I see "white" cutouts of other building superimposed over the main picture. As the mopuse tracks over the main picture I get more and more of these white areas

A bit of a doozy huh!!!!

Now then here is some background for you
1. I have had no probs in Valea or IshadNa
2. I have deleted my temp files log and cancelled all other programmes, rebooted and still the prob exists
3. 64M RAM and 60% free system resources
4. Virtual mamory is managed by Windows
5. Pentium 2 processor
6. Display Adaptor STB Systems Velcoity 128
7. Running "unpatched" game version
8. Have looked thru Tech Tips thread but nothing seems to match

Once again HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2003, 10:29 PM   #2
jsalsb
Elminster

From your description of the cutout-like buildings, it sounds like one of your brimloch roon town movie files is corrupted. Each town is run off of two video-clip files, one is the background, and the other is imagemap. You can actually play them in windows media player and see the town scroll by. One of them looks just like you described it. Browse through your town imagemap folder, open the brimloch roon files in media player to see which one is corrupted, then maybe someone can send you a good file (because I think you can't re-copy just one file from the disk without a complete re-install). Otherwise, copy your savegame files, and reinstall from scratch. Hope this is of some small help.

[ 03-19-2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: jsalsb ]
Old 03-20-2003, 01:35 AM   #3
Featherstone
Dungeon Master

Thanx Jon
I checked thru the install and CD itself and found you were pretty much spot on

A. Install was corrupted and only showed what I saw (ie the fault)
B Thye CD had 2 minor corruptions either of which could have led to the original fault

I twice transfered the original file over to my install and each time we failed

The files name is "townhub3"

If anyone has got a working file and would delight in sending it my e-mail address is thecasses@bigpond.com

Thanx - in advance
Old 03-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #4
jsalsb
Elminster

just occurred to me... are you using windows xp? If so, you have to run virtualdub to unpack your townavi files. If this is the case, follow this link http://www186.pair.com/vdub/ , and check out the tech tips thread for more info.

I'm also going to try to send you a copy of townhub3.avi (the original, non-vdub version).

Good Luck!!
Old 03-20-2003, 03:39 PM   #5
jsalsb
Elminster

I e-mailed the file to you. it's 12megs!! so I hope both our respective servers let it through!

Apparently virtualdub is needed for win2000 as well. Here are the instructions from the tech tips thread for running vdub:

6.1) Can´t enter buildings in town or exit through the gates
Problem: Your town*.avi files are compressed and won´t work in Windows 2000/XP
Solution: Download Virtualdub. Open a townmsk or townhub file with Virtualdub. Save the open file in Vdub with the "Save old-format AVI" option with a new file name (such as mask1.avi). You should see some strange graphics appear; you will get back a large 32MB file. Now exit Virtualdub and then in Windows Explorer rename the new file from mask1.avi to townmsk1.avi (over the old file - say Yes to the "Do you want to replace" dialog box). Do the same procedure to the other two town mask files (townmsk2.avi and townmsk3.avi) changing the initial save names as appropriate. Then repeat with the three townhub files. Note, this will require an extra 180Mb of diskspace.

Solution provided by: Ryanamur, Sazerac and Xignal

[ 03-20-2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: jsalsb ]
Old 03-20-2003, 10:44 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I love it when a new problem is quickly put to bed! Let us know when the problem is officially resolved and we'll get it documented in the Tech Tips thread.

Thanks, jsalb! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 12:13 AM   #7
jsalsb
Elminster

Hey Featherstone,

Just wondering if you received the file, and if it solved your problems. I hope your silence means that you've solved your Brimloch Roon problems and you've been deeply immersed (pun intended) in Collasium.

[ 03-23-2003, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: jsalsb ]
Old 03-23-2003, 10:00 PM   #8
Featherstone
Dungeon Master

Letter

Jon and others
Alas nope the file didnae come thru at all {gloom and doom}

I have worked thru the Vdub download but as the original error may actually be on the disk Im kinda up a certain creek without a paddle!!

Is there anyone that either has the file and can send it to me or , even better, is there a sire or link where I could download the file (maybe from the producers/owners / Activision?/)

The file I need, in beautiful working order, is townhub3

e-mail address is
thecasses@bigpond.com
Old 03-24-2003, 06:26 AM   #9
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Most of the file, is in your mail box....I was able to break it up into ....mailable pieces.....However....now....your mail box is, too full, to accept the last 2 pieces and the restore file.

Let me know....when to send it.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
jsalsb
Elminster

I'm going to zip it (makes it 7.5 megs - a bit better) and try to put it up on a server. If I'm successful, I'll post the url. -J