Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

Hi all, I am new to Icewind Dale (I have been playing the Baldur's Gate series for about 10 months). My son wanted to try something new and we decided on IWD b/c it is more similar to BG (or so I have read). We have the original as well as the expansion and IWD2. I have installed IWD and HOW and then the Trials patch along with GW Tweaks and Auril's Bane. So far, everything had worked perfectly fine...until I got to the Vale of Shadow's. I have been to all of the little dungeons and collected 2 keys along with various items. I am guessing I am getting ready to come to the tail end of the quest...but every time I try and go through the entrance with the huge doors my game crashes.

As I am new to IWD I am not sure what bugs might exist. I read that the Trials patch needs to be installed right after HOW...I had installed the GWTweaks prior to the patch (as I was unaware of it), but uninstalled it b/f even starting a game and installed the patch. After the Trials patch I installed the tweaks mod and then the AB mod.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, we messed around a little bit with IWD2 and it looks like it will be significantly different than what we are used to playing. I could likely do some searches, but if anyone can point me in the right direction (either search terms or actual posts) to understand the new system that would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Peace, John.
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Welcome to the world of IWD!

Well, I don't know much about the subject, but since there isn't a known bug at the area (to my knowledge), you are patched, and there isn't a cutscene or some movie, I would think you have a corrupted file. Not sure how you could fix this, you may need to either get the file from someone else, or maybe you need to clean your disk.

For IWD2 help check... the IWD2 forum! Bum bum BUM! I or another IWD2 player can help you there.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

My IWD crashed at a number of points, but it turns out the cause was just a screwy display adapter driver I had been meaning to fix. Driver updated, problem solved! So maybe updating some drivers or your version of DirectX (newest is 9.0c) could stop the crashing. Best of luck, and yes, IWD2 is WEIRD.
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
Stonewarrior
Manshoon

I actually reinstalled the Trials patch and the two mods I am using and all is well. I finished the Vale and the Temple and am off to Dragon's Eye (?). Thanks!

On a side note, IWD is a lot different than the Baldur's Gate series. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Stonewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:17 AM   #5
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

Yeah, there is a lot less "heavy dialogue", more hack and slash, and no real reputation to keep track of. Personally I prefer BG since there is more free exploring, but IWD can be fun at times also (so many cool animations they left out!).
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote