Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2001, 06:57 PM   #1
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

For all of you who play games that have been translated into another language, what did you think of the translation? Do you think it could have been done better? I ask because I haven't come across a good translation of a game yet (Baldurs Gate German was rated 'worst translation EVER' by a number of PC review magazines), so I ask: ARE there good translations? Is it even POSSIBLE to translate a game (or a book, too) so that none of its meaning will be lost, or are bad translations a thing that cannot be avoided?

------------------
------------------

-Only dead fish swim with the flow (i.e. not me)
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 05:46 PM   #2
AliCat
Drow Warrior

Well, this isn't really an answer to your question, but... most of the English language is misspelled or poorly written as it is in many RPGs. If these companies are not going to pay for someone to edit the writing in these games, they sure as heck aren't going to pay for decent translations into other languages, especially if they know people are going to buy them anyhow. I don't see much hope for the future here. Sorry!
AliCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 06:06 PM   #3
Bleys
Dungeon Master

I varies a lot depending o who did the translations, but most of them tend to have a lot of errors. I remeber one fantisy game calling the inn a motel. One thing I have noticed and that is the unoffical translations tend to be a lot better than the offical ones.
Bleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 06:24 PM   #4
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

Kaz, I know your problem quite well. BG1 was a joke. I really would like to try it in english, but the german version wins the sucks-award! In BG2, they did a bit better, but as I own both versions, I can say that much atmosphere and sense was lost with the german translation. The problem is that those translators don´t know the game or the storyline. They just translate what they read, and that is why some dialogues seem a bit moronic.

------------------
Calvin the bold the malt beer lord is in!
debiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 06:29 PM   #5
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

The only game I've played which was originally in another language was Imperuim Galactica (the first one). That was in German originally (I think) and I was quite impressed with it. They had overlayed English voice actors onto the German videos which meant there was weird looking lip sync, but other then that it was pulled off well.

I've never had cause to buy a game in french (the only other language I can even half-way understand) so I don't know about English to other languages. It wouldn't surprise me if they left a bit to be desired though, for the reasons AliCat has stated.

------------------
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Sharpedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 06:52 AM   #6
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by debiler:
Kaz, I know your problem quite well. BG1 was a joke. I really would like to try it in english, but the german version wins the sucks-award! In BG2, they did a bit better, but as I own both versions, I can say that much atmosphere and sense was lost with the german translation. The problem is that those translators don´t know the game or the storyline. They just translate what they read, and that is why some dialogues seem a bit moronic.
Oh yes... AliCat, I agree that most RPGs suck, but this takes the cake, I mean I could have translated that better.
Some non-language specific examples (there are thousands of language-specifics):
1) the text in the dialogue box and the text the person was saying (in the parts where it was read out load) often weren't the same
2) Different narrators in the intro - one of them pronounces Gorion the English way, one the German way.
the list is endless...
So endless that we (im not sure if all German BG players do this or just me) have begun calling Tales of the Sword Coast Tails of the Sword Coast (theres a larger difference in German) as a joke on the awful translation

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 08-24-2001).]
Kaz is offline   Reply With Quote