Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 05:11 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I just came across a wonderful site by the name of http://www.cleanflicks.com/ . A company that edits blockbusters and removes all violence, profanity, nudity and other sexual content. Now, I can understand that there are people who don't enjoy violent or graphic movies, but why rent an edited version of say.. Pulp Fiction or House of Wax (gore alore )while knowing that well over half the scenes has been cut out, because violence is the whole point of the flick. [img]graemlins/yawn.gif[/img]
Enfin.. it's a strange world we live in.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:49 AM   #2
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I am not to sure what the deal is with the edited version. I mean why bother with the movies that do not fit your life style. Stick with the movies with out the violece. There is loads of movies out there that will fit for them. I mean the 6 o'clock news has move violence in it then some movies. I guess the must not watch the news. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've seen a story on a similar company on TV a while ago. The point? It's got less to do with making your fave films unwatchable, and more to do with sleeping soundly while your kids watch all the films that their friends rave about. At least that's how they got started. After a while, a demand for 'diet' blockbusters was generated amongst people whose ethical and religious beliefs clashed with some of the content of films. And sex, drugs and violence are prominent tools in the film makers' toolbox so there's no shortage of material for them to work with.

Most films that are worth the time of day are usually still watchable when they've finished with 'em. Most, but not all. Their loss.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

In fact, I have heard that Hollywood is not very pleased to see people owning such companies that clean up movies. Clean Flicks is not the only one out there. Hollywood says that the practice is illegal. I suppose the argument has not held up in court yet, because these companies are still in business.

Seems like I heard about a DVD player (or maybe the technology was on the DVD itself) that could be set to edit itself in the works. Anybody heard that one?
Old 10-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
In fact, I have heard that Hollywood is not very pleased to see people owning such companies that clean up movies. Clean Flicks is not the only one out there. Hollywood says that the practice is illegal. I suppose the argument has not held up in court yet, because these companies are still in business.

Seems like I heard about a DVD player (or maybe the technology was on the DVD itself) that could be set to edit itself in the works. Anybody heard that one?
According to this article from April 2004 they're already on the shelves at Wally World and Kmart. But they only work on movies they've been pre-programmed for... I've never heard from anyone who actually used one. I'm guessing it's no worse than watching a movie that's been edited for network TV.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #6
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
I am not to sure what the deal is with the edited version. I mean why bother with the movies that do not fit your life style. Stick with the movies with out the violece. There is loads of movies out there that will fit for them. I mean the 6 o'clock news has move violence in it then some movies. I guess the must not watch the news. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I couldn't imagine watching a James Bond movie edited to their preference. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I agree it would not be any good. Since there tends to be loads of violence and scantle clad women.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
I agree it would not be any good. Since there tends to be loads of violence and scantle clad women.
I think runtime would be about 10 minutes. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:01 AM   #9
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

hmm.... whats a movie that all it has is blood and violence with a lot of sex scenes that we all love?

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 06:42 AM   #10
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

I happen to like disney films!
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote