Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 12:45 AM   #91
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Oh boy, I feel sooooooooo stupid. I just registered a new account here (LordPasswordLost) cuz I re-installed my computer, so the browser was no longer auto-matically recognizing my password (which I never bothered to memorize, I should do that one day ), so I've been waiting all day to get the confirmation e-mail just so that I could PM Ziroc to get my old password back...when I saw that there was a link for finding lost password [img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 09-17-2004, 03:34 AM   #92
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Dron_Cah:
Hmm, very curious, Bungleau. Oh, and I found the most annoying thing, now that i'm in college. People who think they are smart, but... uh, aren't. lol! I can't help it, it just gets on my nerves. Maybe I was just in a humble class, or something, but no one played the "teacher's pet," or the "know it all." Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but there's something about these people that grates on my sensibilities.
There's always a few of those. The type of idiot that sits at the front and asks long rambling "questions" that are only designed to show off the amount of "knowledge" they have already. The best you can do is to ignore them, or if it gets really bad, to speak to the prof about the disruptions in class. Sometimes you get a cool teacher who will shoot them down without prompting.

I had one class in first year where it got really bad (and I mean REALLY BAD). The prof was too nice to shoot the nimwit down, and let him ramble on. We (us at the back of the room, who sat there so as to get less of the effect from the guy's high whiny voice) took a tally and did some calculations. Seventeen interruptions, averaging about 90 seconds apiece, was the worst. In ONE one-hour class!!! It was probably the most annoying episode (to date) of my university experience - this was a prolonged episode, mind you. A year-long class, three classes a week, at least eight interruptions per class. Even after some appeals to the prof and quite a few loud sarcastic comments from the back row. It got better after about three months of this crap. Why? Not because the guy ran out of pointless and self-praising things to say, but because a fuming member of the class started leaving death threats in the whiny guy's backpack. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] About as subtle and nice as a bulldozer, but effective. I was happy to have the guy shut up, regardless of the method (ends justify the means...). My appreciation of the tactic wasn't my most shining moment, but the relief of not hearing that guy's voice was incredible. I'm usually a pretty patient guy, but I had to grit my teeth every class.

Re: the English experience - sometimes you just have to get through a class, but... Can you drop it or switch to another section? I find that it can be worth it. I don't learn well from teachers I don't respect and who don't respect me. You're paying big money for the class, so you have the right to learn on your own terms.

On a different but related topic (since it was in the thread), I can't stand much of the cellphone usage either. Many people are reasonably good about it, but some just have no idea about minimal common courtesy. It's not an especially big issue here in classes, but the bus is bad. It's worst when there's fifty people on the bus and the culprit "has" to shout into the phone. One reason why I never go on the bus without a discman.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:36 AM   #93
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

Im really excited at the moment guys, Im catching up with friends from school that I havent seen in a couple of months. Should be cool beans, bananas AND spaghetti.

- Overly Excited Dave.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:08 AM   #94
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Hi all. I am posting from school for the first time. [img]smile.gif[/img] We had English, Math and Physics for the last three hours. I still have to be here for four hours. And it's friday folks. Woppie. See you all when I get home.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:00 AM   #95
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I see johnny's name on the recent visitors list...where is he? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

After reaching lvl 26 on WC3 I decided to go sleepy byes. Having lunch with my mother and brother tomorrow and I plan on bringing up something about my dad, which I should update you guys on:

My dad has finally come to realize how stupid of him it was to consider leaving my mom and everything in his life to go out cruising on a yacht with this new woman, so they're trying to patch things up~my dad broke it off with the other chick and is trying to get settled back here...this is my dilemma, however:
After going through all of this I don't understand how my mom could ever trust him again (this woman wasn't his first girlfriend...). I certainly don't trust him, and I told her so tonight. Personally, I feel like he's using my mom to get his boat (which he is still doing, and my mom is helping), and as soon as he has it he's going to leave. This other woman is in Memphis, how do we know he broke it off with her? He's lied so much at this point, how can my mom take his word for it?
My brother and I haven't spoken about *any* of this between ourselves, but I'm breaking that ice tomorrow~I want to know what he thinks of dad coming back (my bro still refuses to talk to him on the phone, and I only do because I still live at the house...).
Anything could still happen of course...but this is the situation now.

K, now it's seriously bed time. Night everyone...I will update you once again when I get back from lunch.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:46 AM   #96
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I went to sleep with my front door open!

I usually leave it open all day and night long when I'm up, but tonight I was in a hurry to get to sleep before work and forgot to close it. Good thing I also left the living room's lights open!
Old 09-17-2004, 09:29 AM   #97
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
I see johnny's name on the recent visitors list...where is he? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

After reaching lvl 26 on WC3 I decided to go sleepy byes. Having lunch with my mother and brother tomorrow and I plan on bringing up something about my dad, which I should update you guys on:

My dad has finally come to realize how stupid of him it was to consider leaving my mom and everything in his life to go out cruising on a yacht with this new woman, so they're trying to patch things up~my dad broke it off with the other chick and is trying to get settled back here...this is my dilemma, however:
After going through all of this I don't understand how my mom could ever trust him again (this woman wasn't his first girlfriend...). I certainly don't trust him, and I told her so tonight. Personally, I feel like he's using my mom to get his boat (which he is still doing, and my mom is helping), and as soon as he has it he's going to leave. This other woman is in Memphis, how do we know he broke it off with her? He's lied so much at this point, how can my mom take his word for it?
My brother and I haven't spoken about *any* of this between ourselves, but I'm breaking that ice tomorrow~I want to know what he thinks of dad coming back (my bro still refuses to talk to him on the phone, and I only do because I still live at the house...).
Anything could still happen of course...but this is the situation now.

K, now it's seriously bed time. Night everyone...I will update you once again when I get back from lunch.
I doubt that your mother does trust him, Jen. She wouldn't be the first woman (or man) to ask herself the question, "Am I better off with him or without him?" and answer the former. If they are comforable together, and your mom isn't overly possessive or jealous, and it sounds like she has been through it before, they might come to an arrangement. Shocking, I know, but the world is as it is. Galadria is nodding in agreement, while mentioning that I had never do anything similar!
Old 09-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #98
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I never have figured out who this "Galadria" is, Attalus/Bill...and I've never asked before...but today, it occured to me that it would be really funny if she didn't really exist, and she was just an alternate personality of yours. lol

I know she's not though

Jen/LB, you have my condolences still on this...I hope that if you and your brother don't agree to the point that you would like that you (plural) don't hold it against each other, though. I don't think that my life would be as meaningful without my sister...even if she is a [censored] some of the time

Oh, and I am in the best mood that I have been in in well over a month. Certain events transpired, and happiness finally just kinda clicked into place...:grin:

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:24 AM   #99
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Ah, I can field this one. Galadria is the wife of Attalus, both are members on the board, though I dont think Galadria is very active anymore.

Anyways, I agree with you, Cloudy, I dislike cell phones, truth be told. It wasn't that, that I was making an issue out of, but more her own rudeness and hypocrisy. Anyways, I think switching my class is too much of a hassle, now, so I'll just grit my teeth and bear it. If that doesn't work, I'll be staying after class to speak with her.

Next note: I HATE MORNING CLASSES! Didn't go to bed til late, couldn't sleep. 9:05 math lecture, on crap I've known for a very long time. I really should have retaken the ACT. Well, I think it's about lunch time, so bye, all! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2004, 12:36 PM   #100
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
I never have figured out who this "Galadria" is, Attalus/Bill...and I've never asked before...but today, it occured to me that it would be really funny if she didn't really exist, and she was just an alternate personality of yours. lol

I know she's not though

ROFL!

*Pictures Attalus putting on a wig and a dress, while logging into IW as Galadria*