Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 02:54 AM   #1
huma
The Magister

OK here is the deal.My old pc would consistantly score around 5350 on 3dmark2000.It was a PIII 1000,284mb of ram and a 32mb geforce 2 card.
I upgraded to a PIV 1700,512mb ram.Ran 3dmark2000 and received a score of 3500+ -.Ran 3dmark2001=696+-.Upgraded video card to a 64mb nvidia card.I still can not get results anywhere near as good as my older much much slower system.Test settings I used were identical.Besides the upgrades listed there was nothing else changed on my system.OS is still win me.Motherboard is an asus p4 blah blah blah.So far my rather hefty investment in speed has backfired.Anyone know why?
Old 12-06-2001, 05:24 AM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

quote:
Originally posted by huma:
OK here is the deal.My old pc would consistantly score around 5350 on 3dmark2000.It was a PIII 1000,284mb of ram and a 32mb geforce 2 card.
I upgraded to a PIV 1700,512mb ram.Ran 3dmark2000 and received a score of 3500+ -.Ran 3dmark2001=696+-.Upgraded video card to a 64mb nvidia card.I still can not get results anywhere near as good as my older much much slower system.Test settings I used were identical.Besides the upgrades listed there was nothing else changed on my system.OS is still win me.Motherboard is an asus p4 blah blah blah.So far my rather hefty investment in speed has backfired.Anyone know why?

The first thing you should check is that you have the latest drivers installed for your motherboard and especially it's AGP-bus. These drivers make sure that all communication between the graphics adapter, CPU and memory are done using the most efficient way, for example by enabling full AGP-support. If your system is based on an AMD-Processor, updating the drivers is of utmost importance, since most Microsoft Windows - versions have very limited out-of-the-box support for motherboard chipsets commonly used with AMD-processors.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 12-06-2001, 03:44 PM   #3
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

3dmark 2001 has a different scoring system then 3dmark 2K does. They made it a little harder to get those crazy scores. I too had the same problem when I went to a P4. I had a ghz PIII and I upgraded to a P4 2ghz w/ 2 gb of PC800 rambus ram and I have a elsa GF3 video card. My score was just barely higher then it was with the PIII. I do know for a fact that the PIII has a higher IPC then the P4 does, but there are more instructions the P4 is optimized for. I don't know. I do know that in general the P4 runs better though. If I were you I'd think about upgrading your OS.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 12-06-2001, 08:46 PM   #4
huma
The Magister

Thanks for the tips,I knew eventually I would have to upgrade to WIN XP.I guess I will also go to the asus web page and see how out of date my current drivers are.I understand what you are saying about the different scoring used in 3dmark2000 and 2001.What I was dissapointed in was the fact that I scored 2000 to 2500 less, in 3dmark2000,after such a huge upgrade in performance.Anyway wish me luck with the drivers,the last time I updated my video display driver my desktop ended up looking like the one on my old 386.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:58 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
64mb nvidia card

Hey! I ordered that same card off of the net today from pricewatch.com! It will be in on Monday. It's whole specs. are...

nVIDIA GeForce2 Pro 3D 64MB DDR AGP 4X TV out ($105.00)

I currently have an ATI
It was bought two years ago, so it can't be as good as this new one that I am ordering, can it? Please tell me I made a good purchase!
Old 12-07-2001, 01:52 AM   #6
huma
The Magister

Larry,the video card is fantastic.I just purchased return to castle wolfenstein and the visuals are very nice.My PC has other demons I,m struggling with currently.The asus motherboard drivers I,m trying to download would be great, but I currently can,t connect with their web site.Looks at clock... mumble tomorrow mumble asus mumble
Old 12-10-2001, 08:59 PM   #7
huma
The Magister

Well I downloaded the latest drivers for my video card and my system is running smoother now.Finally got into the asus site and guess what,no drivers for my P4B-socket 478 motherboard.AGP ones anyway.I,ve tried 4 dif telephone numbers in manual,none of which are in service.I thought asus motherboards were top end?Performance and service wise.My system is still not running and scoring ANYWHERE near where it should be.If there are no new agp drivers available I must have the most current ones right?If I have all the latest drivers,lots of free mem and everything is talking nicely to each other,what else could be a problem.Thank you for any help or replies.
Old 12-11-2001, 10:05 PM   #8
huma
The Magister

Okay,last time...ANYONE ANYONE