Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

it was on Discovery Health channel, it is called The Critical hour, what scared me was this, there was a baby (18 monh old) little boy who had to be airlifted to the nearest Trauma center, which was over 100 miles away, his father had accidently run him over with a car, he apperently went to sleep on a pallet that was slightly underneath the car, and his father did not see him, the child had sever internal bleeding, and a sever skull fracture, the amazing thing is, by the time he got to the second hospital, his bleeding had stopped, 2 days later, he went home, with no brain damage. how would you have reacted if you were the father? when his parents got there, his dad was crying, and begging to be forgiven, that in it self made me cry, I am not sure how I could handle it if i had ran over my own child
Old 11-09-2003, 11:36 AM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

My own or someone else... I don't care, I couldn't ever forgive myself that...

[ 11-09-2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Old 11-09-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Though i dont have a child(which is actually a good thing, considering im only 16...), i dont think i could handle it at all...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 11-09-2003, 04:12 PM   #4
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

That's some amazing stuff, I've known several people who have run over their kids in a similar manner and weren't so lucky :/
Old 11-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Raistlin Majere
Ra

this topic just brought to mind our local "madman"(cant think of a less harsh word, hence the quotes). he goes around walking in womens clothes muttering to himself, holding walking sticks(the ones given to people with a broken leg) backwards. the story behind it however, is a sad one indeed. some 10 years ago he had been walking his 5 year old over a street. The child holding his hand was walking a few steps behind him, when some drunk drove over the child, killing him. the man lost it that day, and hasnt been the same since...it really angers me seeing people laugh at him as he walks past, though!

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 11-09-2003, 09:04 PM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I know I would've never forgiven myself even if my child made it, that is something that sticks with you as long as you live.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:59 PM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I nearly had that accident myself. I was reversing my 4WD back to the garage, I totally didn't see the garderner's child sleeping there on the floor. When I stop the car and got out of it. I notice something on the floor near the tire under the car. I go and look, To my horror the car tire was only few inches away from the child's face. luckily the child is alright. Why on earth did the gardener let the child sleep there is beyond me. shhesh!
Old 11-10-2003, 08:51 AM   #8
wellard
Dracolisk

Reading this thread just makes me want to hug my kids, they are fast asleep though. So sad. Our kids are banned from the driveway while I am moving the car. Just this afternoon I was moving the motorbike around the driveway and Martin got told of by my wife for not going inside as soon as the engine started.

Kakero, did you say anything to the gardener? just so as it does not happen again.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-10-2003, 10:42 AM   #9
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

yeah, Skyler has a bad habit of running out the door as soon as she sees her daddy pulling into the drive, we live in a blind curve area, so I panic about them being aroud the gravel all the time, to get to our place, you have to pull into a church parking lot, then pull back to the left fast, putting you on a gravel road, which the veiw of the trailers (there are 3 of them total) are completely blocked from veiw, until you get to the end of the churc drive, and turn the curve, which by this time, you are at the trailers, so if you are speeding, chances are, it will be to late when you get here. had someone do that once, he was drunk, and was coming to pick his ex wfe and kids up, to take them to their car ( they are our neighbors) and he decided to have fun, well, he stopped less than 3 feet from Destiny, the youngest, and I went off on him, called the cops, they said since they were not there, and did not see it, there was nothing they could do, even though his ex wife told them, he was drunk, and that he was speeding through the area. I called my husband, who talked to his boss, who happend to know the guy, and he had a nice little chat with him, he has not acted like that again, he had also cussed me, when I told him he could have hit one of the kids
Old 11-10-2003, 11:19 AM   #10
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

That is simply a terrible thing to happen to anybody. The anguish must be awful. Thank god the child recovered with no permanent injuries. It was an accident, but ANY accident involving your child will traumatize you. I've had a couple close calls with my son. Both were almost completely beyond my control, but they still scared me to death. If any of them would have resulted in his injury or death, I would no doubt blame myself regardless. At the same time, life is a risk. Just going out your front door can start the chain of events leading to something unfortunate. You can't completely shelter your kids. It's impossible and unhealthy.

I must say though. At 18 mo. old, you should know exactly where a child is at ALL times. I don't know the exact circumstances here, but it sounds like a little neglegence at the wrong time may have contributed to this particular accident.