Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 05:37 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

This thread is in reference to TL's post seen here

E S S A Y
The Nanny in Chief

Bush thinks he knows what's good for you, and he'll spend money to prove it

By ANDREW SULLIVAN

Monday, Feb. 02, 2004
There's barely a speech by President Bush that doesn't cite the glories of human freedom. It's God's gift to mankind, he believes. And in some ways this President has clearly expanded it: the people of Afghanistan and Iraq enjoy liberties unimaginable only a few years ago. But there's a strange exception to this Bush doctrine. It ends when you reach America's shores. Within the U.S., the Bush Administration has shown an unusually hostile attitude toward the exercise of personal freedom. When your individual choices conflict with what the Bush people think is good for you, they have been only too happy to intervene. The government, Bush clearly believes, has a right to be involved in many personal decisions you make — punishing some, encouraging others, nudging and prodding the public to live the good life as the President understands it. The nanny state, much loved by Democrats, is thriving under Republicans.

The rest of the Essay

I looked it up myself and found it, so I thought I'd save you the trouble of typing it in TL.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

THANKS!!!! Been too busy. It makes a lot of hay out of little things but also points out some notable nannyism.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:09 PM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
THANKS!!!! Been too busy. It makes a lot of hay out of little things but also points out some notable nannyism.
Well Timber, I'm willing to bet that I have a lot more time than you have currently. I hope in the short term, the situation changes.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
A very well-written, superbly thought-out essay... even if it did remind me how much I dislike Bush this early in the morning (Note: It's morning if I haven't been up for three hours, showered, and had at least three cups of coffee)

Anyone who thinks Bush is an underachiever needs only to look at everything he's done to our country to be proven wrong. I will stand by that! SUPPORT OUR PRESIDENT! (...while twisting words to subvert him. I said "To" and not "for" for a reason.)

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote