Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2001, 12:56 PM   #1
Draug Fea
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey I would really appreciate a list or information on powerful staves and their whereabouts. Staffs with more than combat bonuses like Staff of Magi etc.
All help is appreciated, THANKS.

------------------
"I cannot be caged"
Old 06-16-2001, 01:44 PM   #2
Cavern Sniffer
Elminster

Here are a few, less there locations sadly. There are too many staves available in the game to list them all. Some of these can be found in Drow City I'm pretty sure. Hope it helps.

Rod of Smiting
This long, thin rod can be wielded as a staff. This rod has been designed to destroy golems. Any golem struck by the rod must make a saving throw or be destroyed. In the hands of any other than a cleric or mage the rod becomes unusable.

STATISTICS

Combat Abilities: If a golem is struck by the rod, the golem must make a saving throw vs. death or be destroyed.
Thac0: +3 bonus
Damage: 1D8 + 3, +10 vs. Golems
Damage type: crushing
Weight: 3
Speed Factor: 1
Proficiency Type: Quarterstaff
Type: 2-handed
Usable By:
Mage
Cleric
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rod of Terror
When activated this rod may be used as a staff +3. Any creature hit by the rod must make a saving throw vs. spells or flee in terror, fearing the wielder as if he or she were a flesh eating demon from the Abyss. There is a drawback to using this rod however. Each time the rod is used there is a 20% chance that the wielder loses one point of Charisma permanently.

STATISTICS

Combat Abilities: Target must make a saving throw vs. spells (+4 bonus) or flee in terror (lasts four rounds)
Thac0: +3 bonus
Damage: 1D6 + 3
Not Usable By:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff of Air
This staff seems to draw from eleven artistic traditions, though tied less to the forest than is usually customary. It was apparently designed to control air elementals, being able to summon one as a servant to the wielder, and potentially destroying creatures of the same type in a single blow. When necessary, it can also spawn a cloud of gas causing anyone within the area of effect to fall into a deep slumber. Some effects are limited by charges.

STATISTICS

Combat Abilities: If an air elemental is hit it must save vs. spells or be destroyed
Abilities: (cost 1 charge)
Summon an 8hd Air Elemental
Duration: 1 hour

Sleep Cloud
Range: 40 feet
Duration: 3 rounds

THAC0: +2 bonus
Damage: 1D6 +2
Requires: 5 Strength

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff of Arundel
This was a lesser version of the Staff of the Woodlands. It was created by Arundel, an arch druid that lived in the city of Kuldahar before he was killed by the demon Belhifet.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:
+10% Resistance to fire and cold
Wielder memorizes one extra fifth and one extra sixth level spell

THACO: +3 bonus
Damage: 1D6 + 3
Speed Factor: 0
Requires: 9 Dexterity
Usable By:
Druids
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quarter Staff +4, Staff of Rynn
There was a time when magic was distrusted even more so than now, and the burning of "heretics" was woefully common. Delmarey, a witch from the swamplands near Myth Rynn, faced just such a fate when she was blamed for an unseasonable drought. Taken by surprise and sentenced by a mob, she was put to the torch in the Village Square. With her dying breath she uttered a foul curse, fueling the fire to an unstoppable magnitude. By dawn, the entire village was reduced to black coal, save the burnt remnant of the pole Delmary had been bound to. This staff has been imbued with some remnants of Delmarey's power, making it a highly enchanted weapon.

STATISTICS:

THACO: +4 bonus
Damage: 1D6 + 4

Staff of Thunder and Lightning +2
There are stories that tell of these staves sprouting in the growth around druid groves when the forest is threatened. Fanciful tales, but truth or not, this staff is a powerful tool. It draws energy from storms, and there is a chance that any blow may trigger a thunderclap that knocks enemies down. It casts Lightning Bolt, and if circumstances warrant it, it can summon a lighting storm to blast enemies to dust. Some abilities are limited by charges.

STATISTICS

Abilities (one charge):
Lightning Bolt
Damage: 10d6
Range: 140 yards
Saving throw: Spells for half damage

Call Lightning
Lightning strike hits the target
Damage: 3d8 per strike

Melee :
Thunderclap (10% chance on a successful strike)
Range: Melee
Saving Throw: Save vs. spells or be stunned for two rounds

THACO: +2 bonus
Weight: 4
Speed Factor: 4
Proficiency Type: Staff
Usable By:
Clerics
Druids

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff of the Magi
This type of staff is thoroughly linked of the image of the spellcasting profession, rare though it is. It is among the most powerful tools that a wizard can possess, the culmination of complex enchantment and endless study. This particular example is good in melee, grants Invisibility, and offers protection from Charms and Evil. It can also cast a Spell Trap, launch a Fireball-Lighting Bolt combination, and Dispel Magic. The quintessential mage item.

STATISTICS
Armor Class: +2 bonus
Saving Throws: +2 bonus
Equipped Abilities:
Invisibility
Immunity to Charm
Protection From Evil

Fireball-Lightning
Damage: combined lightning and fireball damage
Range: 150 feet
Use: Three times a day

Abilities: Trap Spell
Duration: 8 hours or until 30 spell levels have been trapped
Use: Once a day

Combat Ability (each hit): Dispel Magic
THAC0: +1 bonus (strikes as a +5 weapon)
Damage: 1D6 +1
Speed Factor: 4
Usable By
Mages

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Staff of Striking.
Staffs of Striking are made by the Gold Elves of Drelagara on Evermeet. The staffs have a life of their own and jump to attack in their bearer's hands. The elven craftsmen rarely sell them to other races but these powerful melee weapons do surface occasionally in Faerun. However, each attack made with the staff uses a charge, hence causing it to consume itself when no charges remain.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D6 + 9
Proficiency Type: Staff
Type: Two-handed

------------------
It's bleedin dark down here, slippery too.
Man, that's a pisser.
Old 06-16-2001, 02:29 PM   #3
dulouz
Manshoon

As of Ch.3, i've got the Staff of Thunder and Lightning, as described above. It was received after knocking off the Druid Leader causing animal trouble in trademeet.

I've also got a Clerics Staff +3 but don't recall where i got it. Staff of Curing which has AC +2 bonus and THACO +1 bonus. i don't remember where i got this either.
Old 06-16-2001, 05:40 PM   #4
Legolas the Elven Archer

I think I can help on the locations of some of the staves.

IIRC:
The Rod of smiting can be bought from a merchant in the underdark
The Staff of Rhynn can be bought at the adventure's mart
The Staff of thunder and lightning is on the druid leader
The Staf of the magi is part of the wizard quest and can be made by your apprentices (great item )

There are quite a few other staffs of which I know the location, but I don't remember which one is found where. Just play the game and you'll come across most

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-16-2001, 05:41 PM   #5
Draug Fea
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the help guys.

------------------
"I cannot be caged"
Old 06-16-2001, 07:11 PM   #6
Gorgasim
Dungeon Master

staff of the magi can also be looted off of a mage who is one of the twisted rune friends. Ya need the rogue stone to get in.
Old 06-16-2001, 08:03 PM   #7
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

From my game - that was the ONLY staff of the magi.

PS: You are doing some free advertising, you sig isn't showing up Draug Fea

------------------
Old 06-16-2001, 11:00 PM   #8
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

Your apprentices in the Mage stronghold make a Staff of Power not the Staff of the Magi:

Staff of Power
A mage's staff is far more than just a gilded walking stick, most being enchanted to an impressive degree. This one is no exception, and whoever the previous owner was, they were powerful indeed. It enables a mage to better escape hostile magic and avoid physical blows, and can erect a Globe of Invulnerability (one charge). Offensively it can be used in melee very well, and cast a Lightning Bolt (one charge).

STATISTICS

Saving Throws: +2 bonus
Armor Class: +2 bonus
Abilities (one charge):

Globe of Invulnerability
Duration: 1 round/level
Range: User
Area: 5-foot-radius sphere
Grants immunity to 1st to 4th level spells.

Lightning Bolt of Paralyzation
Damage: 10d6
Range: 140 yards
Saving throw: for half damage
Also stuns (no save) the target for 5 rounds

Usable By
Mages

The Staff of Earth can be purchased off a merchant in the Drow city:

Staff of Earth
Linked to the Plane of Earth, this staff may have been fashioned by an ancient druidic sect. It can summon an Earth Elemental, though it also has the potential to slay such creatures in a single blow, possibly hinting at how difficult it is to control them. It can also free a person from the earth by casting Stone to Flesh. Some abilities are limited by charges.

STATISTICS

Combat Abilities: If an earth elemental is hit it must save vs. spells or be destroyed
Abilities: (one charge)
Summon an 8 hit dice Earth Elemental
Stone to Flesh
Revert effects of a petrification attack

Damage: 1D6 + 2
Not Usable By:
Monk

The Staff of Fire can be found in the Planar Sphere:

Staff of Fire
This staff bears an ancient rune that may link it to the wizards of faraway Halruaa, but it is impossible to be certain. Drawing from the Plane of Fire it can erupt in a Fire Shield that damages attackers, it can summon a Fire Elemental under the control of the wielder, and it can potentially draw all the energy from any fire elemental that it hits, destroying them instantly. Some abilities are limited with charges however.

STATISTICS

Combat Abilities: If a fire elemental is hit it must save vs. spells or be destroyed
Abilities: (one charge)
Summon an 8 hit dice Fire Elemental
Fire Shield (Red)
A protective shield that surrounds the wielder of the staff as per the 4th level wizard spell Fire Shield (Red).

Damage: 1D6 + 2
Not Usable By:
Monk

------------------

"This place will be your tomb."
Old 06-16-2001, 11:02 PM   #9
sunder
Zhentarim Guard

The Staff of the Magi can only be found in the Twisted Rune house.

The staff that you can make as a quest for your apprentices is a Staff of POWER, not a staff of the Magi. The Stronghold staff is weaker than the staff of the magi, but is still a very nice mage staff.
But if im not mistaken, if you have your apprentices make the Staff of POWER, you can't get the Ring of Wizardry made, which I think is better.
But anyway I ramble, there is only 1 staff of the magi, and the Twisted Rune mage holds that.
Old 06-16-2001, 11:10 PM   #10
trux

possible spoiler...maybe...i guess...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
can the staff of power actually be made by your apprentices? the two different times i tried they all died in the process. do you have to build up their abilities by making them craft the hardest item each time before? i've always wondered about this.

------------------
--
trux