Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 12:41 AM   #1
chaia100
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have bought TWO Identify spells and found ONE and tried to get my mage to write each one - I FAILED TO COPY the spell into my spell book!!!! I NEVER got that screen on BGII!! What on earth is wrong??
She is a mage/thief - level 2 - half-elf, neutral good. What on earth can I do?
chaia100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 12:47 AM   #2
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

What is her Intelligence? Even with 18 intelligence, you may want to boost it with potions before trying to copy spells.

DawnChaser
DawnChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 12:55 AM   #3
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Unlike BG2, your mages will always have a chance of failing to copy a spell, as according to D&D core rules. In HOW, you will have the option of changing it to normal rules (eg BG2 rules)

------------------
Why?
Lifetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 08:20 AM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I always save before trying to copy spells, then, if it fails, I can try again. One experience with failing to copy a very expensive spell taught me that, lol!

------------------

Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 04:23 AM   #5
Sir_Tainly

As has been said the ability to learn spells is based on int. However in BG2 you start at level 7 by which point the margin for error is so small that you aren't realistically going to fail.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger
Old 06-06-2001, 09:14 AM   #6
marco
The Magister

i had the same problem in BG and IWD, definitly check your INT. If you saved so what i did, rest a day( seems the luck stats reset) and try again.
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 02:04 PM   #7
vesselle
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by marco:
i had the same problem in BG and IWD, definitly check your INT. If you saved so what i did, rest a day( seems the luck stats reset) and try again.
i think you have something there about that luck bit. calindra doume had 4 spells fail on her in a row, and they weren't cheap ones, either.

i suggested we do what you said, and the next day, all 4 were remembered easily by her. now i am curious if casting luck would help also?

thanks for the help!

V***V
vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 04:06 PM   #8
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

As far as i can tell, Luck is a +1 to modify a stat. For instance, a lucky fighter gets a bonus to hit or to save. i'm still not certain whether it affects AC, but i suspect it affects every roll. in the case of spell memorization, it may count as 5% or 10% ?? ::shrug::
There is never really a 100% chance to learn a spell; thre's usually at least a 2% chance of failing. Memorizing lower level spells as a higher level caster seems to help though. (so do those potions of genius)
of course, i always quick save at the inn with a pocket full of potions and a case full of scrolls, before i start memorizing anything. just in case
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote