Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2002, 10:37 AM   #1
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I was just reminiscing about the beautiful nights I've experienced in life. They're actually pretty rare. Less than ten altogether. They've all had some things in common. A big bright full moon that gives enough light to see the landscape. They were all cool late summer or fall nights. They were all out in natures splendor away from civilization. They were all quiet except for the crickets.

One was fishing at rug lake when I was younger. We also got to see the largest meteor I've seen in my entire life that night. It was so huge that at first we were sure it was a plane crashing! It illuminated the ground with flashing light and broke into six fragments seemingly right over our heads! I wish I had a telescope! To see a meteor of this size coming toward you is quite rare. To top it all off, we caught huge stringers of cat fish. A perfect night for a kid and still a very pleasant memory as an adult.

When I was 19 I was strolling with and kissing my love on a deserted lake beach. We had the whole thing to ourselves. We had perfect temperature and cold champagne. What a night!

Another one was a long (10 hour) drive home on military leave in the middle of the night. I was well rested and in a good mood for some contemplative thought. I was driving back country highways with few other cars around. The moon was so bright you could have turned off the headlights. A great talk show on AM radio was followed by a classic rock FM station that just by chance seemed to play favorite song after favorite song that I had forgotten from my high school years. I was simply elated to be alive that night. No drug could have compared to that high.

There was another one or two pulling military maneuvers and camping that were fun, but that's pretty much it. I seem to be lacking for nights like these recently. It's caused me to contemplate what makes for experiences like these. Is it just the perfect combination of little things? Maybe a carefree attitude that one unfortunately grows out of? Is it just your mood at the time? Maybe life just gets boring somewhere along the way? Maybe certain bad life experiences have left me a bit jaded? Is it just that I remember these nights through rose colored glasses? I seem to lean toward the fact that as you get older, "carefree" becomes less and less. Post your thoughts and similar experiences. It should be interesting.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:01 AM   #2
Epona
Zartan

I understand completely!

Spent a night or two roughing it around a campfire while on vacation with a group of mates a couple of years back. On the best night, the sky was clear and full of stars, the moon was red, the beer flowed, the company was good - and we all got fleas from some dogs that were hanging around. Oh well, maybe there's a moral there...
Old 05-10-2002, 12:20 PM   #3
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I understand completely!

Spent a night or two roughing it around a campfire while on vacation with a group of mates a couple of years back. On the best night, the sky was clear and full of stars, the moon was red, the beer flowed, the company was good - and we all got fleas from some dogs that were hanging around. Oh well, maybe there's a moral there...
LOL! Have you been properly sprayed since? Or are you still scatching behind the ears?
Old 05-10-2002, 12:26 PM   #4
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I totally know what you mean Sir K, and Epona, however good a night in some 'civilised' area, there's just something so special about being out like that, especially with your greatest friends etc.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Oh God... nostalgia...

I have only one perfect night.. or... she rather made it perfect for me...

It was the ever elusive I think Junior Prom... I was nervous, as many old IW know... I asked for advices and such... well it turned ou fantastic...

I was shaking like hell before i met her.. I was waiting for her... I was waiting for the wrong car LOL but anyway, my eyes going left and right, and I passed by her... there was this aura I knew she was my date... I looked at her... I knew it was special. As we proceed along clipping our corsage and rose (well we helped each other out duh) thee nervousness started to go away.. and I knew it was going to be great... the weather sucked because it was cloudy, but at least it didn't rain, it also had nice temperature.. considering we are living in a tropical country, and wearing suits and such sucks... it was dry not humid... and we just chatted along... nothing went wrong.. maybe I was too laid back.. but then it was all good... it is ever so clear I cannot forget or stash it in my memory.. it really just has to be active, around me, perhaps fueling me that good things can still happen no matter how bad things may look... I wish I could turn back time...
Old 05-10-2002, 12:40 PM   #6
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

You know, I miss those occasional 10 hour drives in the night. There's just some "Free Bird" feeling you get when you're out on the open road like that. I imagine it's probably the same feeling that keeps truckers in their line of work.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:46 PM   #7
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
I wish I could turn back time...
Just imagine how many times over the world through the history of human life people have wished that!
I know for certain I've wished it far too many times.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:59 PM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Yes.. but most people wish this to correct something... I just wish it because I just want to... not because I have to change anything [img]smile.gif[/img]

SK... yeah... miss those 10 hour drives... I know the feeling.. it is like me missing messaging her every morn... bah I will stop spamming your thread sorry
Old 05-10-2002, 01:53 PM   #9
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
LOL! Have you been properly sprayed since? Or are you still scatching behind the ears?
Nah, when we went back to town we took the fleas with us to the hostel we were staying at - once they saw the big juicy rats there, we were history!

[ 05-10-2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]