Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2000, 11:13 AM   #1
Dr. Bob
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Please help! I'm still confused about something. What exactly can my character learn when he or she changes classes? Let me give an example: I have a Wizard who became a Warlock, and is now 14th level. He just reached 7th level in Stone Spells, and learned his first spell from that list. Suppose I change him to a Samauri. He will obviously be able to continue learning Sun spells, but will he be able to learn other Stone spells? Since he has already reached level 7, will all remaining Stone spells be available to him, or only those spells at half his level?

If it is the latter, then it would mean he'd neve be able to learn any more 7th level Stone spells, because you can only advance to level 12, right? So is it best to learn all 7th level spells before changing class? Reaching 7th level isn't good enough?

I hope my question is clear enough. Thanks!
Dr. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 11:20 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not the expert on this subject so the more knowledgeable will come and post shortly (I'm sure) but you have the right idea about what happens when you change classes prematurely. Your character will be limited as to what spells they will be able to learn in the previous spell class. Someone posted that they were able to learn spells of higher level via books, but I am not certain that you can always find or afford the books for spells you might want to learn.
You may wish to look over the spell list in the manual and see which of the higher Stone spells you want before you switch to learning Sun spells with a samurai. There is no pressing need to learn ALL the spells (it is nice though).
Hopefully you will not be waiting too long for more expert advice!
Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 03:48 PM   #3
Dr. Bob
Elite Waterdeep Guard

True, I guess I don't NEED all the 7th level spells. I would love to hear opinions on which are the best ones and why? Bascially, what should I make sure I get before changing classes (level 7 or other)? Thanks!
Dr. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 10:02 PM   #4
Lily the Ranger

I depend on fire a lot! Moon has create portal, teleport and call of home at the higher levels. I learned cure poison and then switched to samurai and regretted not going a bit further with that magic. If you have a manual, it tells you which magics and skills each role supports so you can sort of plan your ascensions (you can only go to certain roles in each guild EX if you are priest and go paladin, you can go to warriors guild and join and explore their roles). Obviously Spirit is very important. Not just for healing, resurrect, exorcism but for the the Artifact of Spirit used in Blessing items. I am trying to plan my next ascensions to have one who goes high in each of the magics but that backfires if you have one fellow Enchanting items (minimizing the amount of skills each character has to maximize use of your skill points). I believe each magic has an "Artifact of spell" to be used with Enchanting. I had a Magic User who went to Samurai and I really enjoyed his sword/2nd weapon but when I took him to warlock he can no longer use swords and I had to start developing another weapon skill. I think I should have gone Warlock then Samurai. Another thing . . . most people seem unimpressed by the shield skill (any thoughts on this?).
Old 12-25-2000, 12:56 AM   #5
tritone

Generally speaking, once you reach slvl (borrowing the D2 abbreviation) 7 in a spellcraft, always learn the 7th level spells at the soonest opportunity, assuming you want to know those spells. In the future, if you change class, you can still learn the lower level spells. I think most of the spell schools have good level 7 spells worth learning. For Suncraft, the obvious one is Firestorm. I have yet to try Circle of Fire. The exception to this may be Vinecraft - I'm not too convinced by the usefulness of Whirling Dervish and Vine of Life.

SHIELD - my personal experience is actually pretty good. Only one of my characters has upped shield skill, and then only to slvl 3. I do notice that she would block maybe about half of the melee attacks aimed at her. Perhaps others may have missed the "clang!" and the "... blocks it!" message in the heat of battle.
Old 12-25-2000, 03:06 AM   #6
gauleiter

SHIELDS SUCK! No AC bonus at all, only a chance to block even at the higher skill levels, not only no 2nd weapon but you waste all those points on Shield that could be much better spent on Magic or some better skill. Not a single member of my (current) party has a shield.

As for Magics? Sun & Moon are my favorites, their level 7 is incredible. Vine is great up through level 6, but I usually stop there. Fiend is fun, I keep it around for fire-resistant things, same for Stone. Spirit is a necessity on at least two members of your party (one can be weaker; my Paladin only knows thru level 5), both for all the healings and the MUST HAVE resurrect.

In general, start out heavy on Sun & Spirit, branching into Stone and Fiend when possible. My Ninja & Assasin are great in Moon. Be careful not to rush your class changes; wait until you've got all you want out of the current class in magic and abilities before changing.
Old 12-26-2000, 08:31 AM   #7
tritone

STONE! Make sure your wizards get all the Stone spells you need as soon as possible, and before you start switching classes, because nobody except wizards (at beginning of game) and Valkyries + Zenmasters (end of game) can learn Stonecraft!!!
Old 03-15-2001, 09:36 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

back to the top
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote