Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2001, 03:56 PM   #1
Drawde1
The Magister

The one thing about ToB that really annoys me is that you can't return to the original
BG2 areas once you've started it - really annoying if there are some quests you missed,
some items you stored in your stronghold, or some things you want to buy from an original
BG2/SoA merchant. This gave me an idea for a custom item (somewhat inspired by the Portal
Gem in the Modron Maze in Planescape:Torment) which would get around this problem - a Gem
of Teleportation (or a ring, or amulet, or whatever), which, when used (it'd have a Dialogue
option, like the Lilarcor sword) would bring up a dialogue allowing you to select any of the
"world map" locations in SoA. Your party would then be moved to the location you select.
This is perfectly possible to do (items can have dialogues, and dialogue entries can contain instructions
to move your party to an area) and would probably be easy for an experienced item designer, however I have
NO item-creation skills whatsoever.
Does anyone else agree that this would be a good custom item to create? Would anyone be interested
in creating it?
Drawde1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 05:11 PM   #2
www.cffl.com

Yeah that would be a great idea! I really liked that game (Torment) that modron maze was hard to figure out though wasnt it. Oh well back to bg that would be verry neat if they could make that.

------------------
BaRbArIaN mAn RuLz HaHaHaHaHaHa @:>)

Barbarians Will Defend you and will Destroy anything That looks like a monkey cow ostrich horse lizard snake rat fish cat dog bear dear rabbit bird Hippo Elephant Zebra Moose aligator worm Potato bug centipeid any other little bug goat ram anybody you say you dont like any other animal you dont like any other thing you dont like anything you think you dont like anything you thought you would like anything you thought you might like but decided not to like.

And if you can't already tell i had nothing to do taday im telling you now i dont have anything to do. ok. good.

If it was once mine and i want it its mine. if i want it its mine. if i like it its mine. if i thinki like it its mine. If i want it from you its mine.

Kid logic.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:59 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Your idea is a very good one, and I would download it in a second, if somebody would make it.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Faith beset in The Rocks
(they show the way, you know...)
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 10:01 PM   #4
homsuplee
Dungeon Master

But the bugs with this would be endless, because you can teleport to an area, but I don't think the game will know what chapter you're in. Imagine, going through the hell tests twice. With Sarevok !

------------------
Death comes for you, FEEL IT'S ICY TOUCH
homsuplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 02:44 PM   #5
Drawde1
The Magister

It shouldn't be unbalanced or bug-causing if you use it as intended, since it should only let you teleport to SoA WORLD MAP areas, i.e areas that have a bitmap on the world map, and you should only obtain and use the gem once you've started ToB.
Since you've already been to all these areas and triggered the various chapters, and the gem doesn't let you go to self-contained areas like Hell, it shouldn't cause problems of this kind.
It might even be possible to edit the script for the start of ToB (the same one that gives you the new Bag of Holding) so you get the gem automatically and don't have to CLUAConsole it in.
I'd really like this item but as I say my item creation skills are nonexistent, whilst I could probably create something like a new weapon or suit of armour with Infinity Editor, the Gem of Teleportation would require creating new dialogue, adding it to the .tlk file and then creating a IAP file so that other people can import it. None of which I know how to do at the minute, but I'll have a look at TeamBG's Infinity Editor and see what I can do. As I say I'd be very grateful if a more experienced item creator helped me out!
Old 09-01-2001, 04:45 PM   #6
Drawde1
The Magister

Bump
(in case someone with the skills to create this notices it..)
Old 09-02-2001, 03:29 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You will also need IDU for what you want to do, as it involves dialogue scripts, as well as TBG Mass Converter to export any .dlg files to .tbg format, which can then be used to modify the existing dialog.tlk file in the game. It's a bit complex, mate! TeamBG's forum will probably be the best place to advise how to do what you want to do. I'm not sure if you can ump back and forth between the games but Ken, Todd or Cat would be the best people to answer this.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote