Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2002, 09:28 AM   #1
Alson
Galvatron

Inspired by Dundee Slaytern, I decided to share my battle story about how I defeated Improved Irenicus.

I was one of the first BG2 players who fought (and won [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] ) this battle - so i had the honor of putting my battle story in the FAQ section of the Sola Mod.
Read on. [img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The first time i tried it, i opened the door, had the conversation with Jonnie, and he summoned all his Fragments. Needless to say, I was VERY surprised to see that i ought to fight them all at once! Well, i paused the game, targeted 'em, and unpaused. Hey, wait a minute, where are you going?!?!
Damn, they're splitting my party... Not good. Once each member of the party was isolated with a Fragment, it was a matter of seconds until i fell.
I reloaded.
This time i knew where each Fragment will teleport. I've set a trap on the entrance to each of the stairways, and a spike trap in the place where the Sarevok will teleport to. I don't pre-buff at all, except Stone/Ironskins, so i also set many defensive Triggers and Sequencers. I opened the door, chit-chatted with Jonnie again, and paused when the dialogue was done. I told Tashia to target the sword, my cavalier to target the Dragon, Sola to target the Beholder (because of his MR), my Ranger/Cleric to target Jonnie (Those lovely Insects... [img]smile.gif[/img] ), Mazzy to target Seravok (she had the lowest THACO), and the Swashbuckler helped the Cavalier.
I unpaused.
Each fragment was hurt by the traps, but none died. Mp party charged.
The sword died first from triple ADHWs (thanks to the ever-useful Chain Contingency).
Mazzy sniped SarEvok, and everytime he got too close, she ran away and sniped him again. After the sword died, Tashia was free to help my Cavalier, so
she kept breaching the dragon. Both my cavalier and the swashy Whirlwinded, and the Dragon fell, too. My Swashy is armed with the Throwing Imapler from the Item Upgrade Mod... OUCH!!! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Meanwhile, Sarevok died from a GWW Mazzy. Sola had alot of troubles with the Orb, but Tashia summoned a Planetar which helped alot, and the Orb died. Sola had about 2 CON left (The Orb has CON-draining beams)... Everybody tageted Irenicus. His "Shatter Magic" ability is mean... It really hurt me. Tashia kept trying to dispel his protections, but with no luck. He fell after a long time. i'm noy so sure, but i think it was the Planetar vorpal weapon which killed him eventually.
Then came the Slayer. pathetic. He did blew my equipment - TO MY FEET!
Well, i picked it all up, Whirlwinded, and killed him.
And then came the last Irenicus...
*shivers*...
He was TOUGH!! But i did all i could not to lose it, didn't wanted to do it all over again. Tashia's PI casted Wish, and i got nothing good. Everybody tageted Irenicus, and he was kicking their @$$ with his magic.
His double fireshields really hurt me, but meanwhile, the Image casted another Wish, and i got the Rest option. Yay! more Insects and Planetars! my Cavalier kept pounding him with his non-magical bastard sword, but never seemed to hurt. Irenicus' constant casting of PfMW almost killed me. Are his defences
un-dispellable, i pondered? I kept trying, with no luck. It seemed like he was immune to EVERYTHING i had - melee, ranged, even ADHWs and Dragon Breathes!!!! Tashia summoned all the Planetars she had, which really helped becuase they can see through his Invisibility. All the planetars and my Ranger/Cleric casted Insect plague on him, but it took them (the Insects) SEVERAL MINUTES (!) to get to him due to his constant Teleporting.
They were the key to the victory, however.
When they got to him eventually, he could do no more then teleport and heal. The Insects ate his Stoneskins really fast, and when i saw that my Cavalier can finally hit him, i drove everybody except him back.
Now, it's personal.
I GWW, and hit him like crazy. Everytime he teleported, i chased him, GWW again, and pounded him.
It was a matter of a minute or two before he kissed by Boots of Speed. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]

It's a truly fitting end to SoA. The original (BioWare's) Irenicus should have been something like this. Kodus to Weimer, then. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

No screenshots, unfortunately. Next time.

[ 11-09-2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 09:47 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Nice, and man... you got lucky with round 2. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I ended up in the south, while my equipment was in the north. Thank goodness I do not rely on weapons or it would have been bye-bye.

Round 3 is deceptively easy. At first glance, it seems that this guy is unbeatable what with his seemingly unlimited Time Stops, Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wiltings, Stoneskins, Mordenkainen's Swords, Improved Mantles, PfMagical Weapons, Spell Turnings, Fireshields Red/Blue and Improved Invisibilities.

But... ...

He can do jack nothing against an invisible character, as he does not have any anti-invisibility counters. A Thief/Stalker with Invisibility Potions and a trusty weapon can backstab him into obvilion, a Mage/Bard/Sorcerer can cast Mislead and pelt him to death with Melf's Minute Meteors( after his protections are gone of course).
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 09:51 AM   #3
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Meh, the slayer was pretty tough for me-he seemed to do elemental dmg which bypasses my stoneskin (DUH) and made me unable to cast any spells such as absolute immunity (a couple o' scrolls) and resist elements [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] he also seemed to be immune to pretty much everything I lobbed at him-dragon's breath's, ADHW, even (in desperation) poking him with the SOTM

[ 11-09-2002, 09:52 AM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 09:56 AM   #4
Dar'tanian
Red Wizard of Thay

I didnt have much trouble with the slayer it was the pit fiends and balors. I couldnt control all my power on irenicus i had to wrry about the stupid fiends. But just wondering, since i know dundee and alson are veterians in this game did u play with a party your first time u played, if so who were they?
Old 11-09-2002, 09:57 AM   #5
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Unless I'm mistaken you're talking about normal Irenicus not the improved one the Solaufein mod gives you?
Old 11-09-2002, 09:58 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Meh, the slayer was pretty tough for me-he seemed to do elemental dmg which bypasses my stoneskin (DUH) and made me unable to cast any spells such as absolute immunity (a couple o' scrolls) and resist elements [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] he also seemed to be immune to pretty much everything I lobbed at him-dragon's breath's, ADHW, even (in desperation) poking him with the SOTM
If you are unable to cast in time, cast a Contingency and store PfMagical Weapons in it. I used Feeblemind against him, a Spell Trigger worth of them. After casting Time Stop, then Improved Alacrity, then Lower Resistance, then Greater Malison, then finally the Spell Trigger.

He was deadmeat.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:01 AM   #7
Kaltia
Jack Burton

*jaw drops* *buggers off to kill Improved Slayer*
So simple...WHY do i overlook these things? Pity the fool girl and let her pretend she's not the only one making such mistakes [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2002, 10:02 AM   #8
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
If you are unable to cast in time, cast a Contingency and store PfMagical Weapons in it. I used Feeblemind against him, a Spell Trigger worth of them. After casting Time Stop, then Improved Alacrity, then Lower Resistance, then Greater Malison, then finally the Spell Trigger.

He was deadmeat.
But where's the fun? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

About the 3rd stage VS. Invisibility - if only i knew...
But then again, if i knew ALL the possible tactics for ALL the possible situations, i would have stopped playing BG2 a long time ago...

[ 11-09-2002, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 10:04 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dar'tanian:
I didnt have much trouble with the slayer it was the pit fiends and balors. I couldnt control all my power on irenicus i had to wrry about the stupid fiends. But just wondering, since i know dundee and alson are veterians in this game did u play with a party your first time u played, if so who were they?
We be talking about the Improved Irenicus Mod. [img]smile.gif[/img] The first round alone comprises of a Lich, 4 Beholders, a Dragon, a boosted Mordenkainen's Sword and Sarevock( who has a permanent PfMagic sphere). Oh, and JI as well of course. Plus several Shadows and Wraiths.

The second round strips you of all your equipment and you must fight JI the Slayer alone. Have fun trying to get your equipment back.

The third round, I have already described above in my first post.

My first party? Woah... that be more than a year ago... er... ...

Sorcerer
Minsc
Aerie
Jaheira
Imoen
?? Keldorn?
Old 11-09-2002, 10:11 AM   #10
Kaltia
Jack Burton

LOL, i can still remember my first BG party, from when I got the game the day after it's release ^ ^
Me: fighter
Minsc
Jaheira
Nalia
Aerie
Imoen