Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2001, 07:26 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Well... I sure am conflicted. I do not know whether to laugh maniacally or to laugh despairingly. The one fight that I had been worrying over turned out to be one of the easiest fight I had. Maybe it was because I had prepared beforehand, maybe it was because I overestimated the enemy. Either way, the deed has been done and now it is time to move on to Yara-Shura. There will be no story for Odin Magnus, because well... it is kind of boring to write a story where the main character encounters no problems and basically squishes the opposition like bugs. It might be fun at first, but it will get old fast, so I will just give battle reports and share what were the tactics I used. Hope I do not bore you with the following long post. This was how I defeated Improved Demogorgan in seven rounds.

Equipment:
----------

Armour: Robe of Vecna
Gloves: Bracers of Defence 3
Helmet: Circlet of
Amulet: Amulet of Power
Rings: Ring of Acuity, Ring of Wizardry
Cloak: Cloak of Protection +2
Boots: Boots of Speed
Belt: Belt of Inertial Barrier

Weapons: Staff of Magi +5, Staff of the Ram +6

Other equipment in Bag of Holding: Pale Green Ioun Stone, Ring of Gaxx, Ring of the Ram, Cloak of Reflection, Cloak of Mirroring, Boots of Grounding, Boots of the North, Girdle of Fire Giant Strength, Sling of Everand +5, Dagger of the Star +5.

Pre-battle preparations:
------------------------

I stored Protection from Magical Weapons in a Contingency, set to trigger when an enemy is sighted. I also stored 3 Pierce Shields in a Chain Contingency, set to trigger when an enemy is sighted and set to cast on the nearest target. The following spells were casted as well, Resist Fear and Stoneskin. I used the Staff of Magi and casted Spell Trap from it as well.

After buffing up, I then casted Project Image and used the illusion to summon 7 Skeleton Warriors and casted Wish to rememorise all my spells. After this was all done, I made the illusion kill itself with 3 Flame Arrows.

I then selected one of the Skeleton Warriors and made it move to the spot where Demogorgan spawns; because I am at the area where the two portals are, this does not trigger the spawning of Demogorgan. I then selected the rest of the Skeletons Warriors and made them move to the base of one of the staircases. When all the Skeleton Warriors were in place, I made a Quicksave and finally went downstairs.

As Odin moved downstairs, Demogorgan finally appeared and as expected, casted his Time Stop instantaneously. Odin Magnus was stuck in the Time Stop, but his Contingencies triggered and the Pierce Shields targeted Demogorgan as planned, eventually lowering his Magic Resistances by 90%. I was also protected by the spell, Protection from Magical Weapons, so I was not afraid if Demogorgan decided to melee me. Now the reason why I sent 1 Skeleton Warrior to Demogorgan's spawning spot.

I knew that Demogorgan targets the nearest target during his Time Stop, and I was fearful that the Pierce Shields would target one of the Demons he summons, instead of him. So that was why I sent a Skeleton Warrior at that place. This would have placed Demogorgan between Odin and the Skeleton Warrior, so when Demogorgan summons his Demons, Demogorgan would still be the nearest target. This worked like a charm, but the poor Skeleton Warrior had to take all the crap because of this. I have no screenshots of the Skeleton Warrior as the fog of war blocks him from view.

Once Demogorgan's Time Stop ran out, it was my turn to Time Stop. Sure, Demogorgan is immuned to the effects of Time Stop, but I needed to stop his Demons, so that they would not eat through my Skeleton Warriors and get to me.

I then casted Improved Alacrity while Demogorgan meleed the Skeleton Warriors that were in front of Odin. With Improved Alacrity enabled, I re-casted Protection from Magical Weapons, I then proceeded to cast 6 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting before the Time Stop ran out, I dealt so much damage to Demogorgan so fast, that I had time to cast a 7th Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting before he realised that he was dead. The spell barrage also killed most of the Demons that Demogorgan summoned. The leftover Skeleton Warriors and a Clay Golem then finished off a surviving Marilith and a Demon.

So there you have it, 7 rounds of pure devastation wrought by my solo Sorcerer. I am miffed though, that Odin took care of Improved Demogorgan so easily on Insane Difficulty while Leonardo, my solo Cavalier, had a hellish time trying to kill Improved Demogorgan on Core Difficulty. On the other hand, this makes me really proud of Leonardo.

Random Trivia:
--------------

Odin did not lose a single Hp in the fight, Odin has not slept yet since he started ToB, Demogorgan did not even manage to take a swing at Odin.

Screenshots

Thanks for reading. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 07:30 AM   #2
Sir ReGiN
Gold Dragon

Brilliant, Dundee..
Piece of art!
[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Sir ReGiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 08:46 AM   #3
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Great, Dundee. Now I know why you like Sorceres. SIX Horrid Wiltings. LOL. By the way, why no sleep? Personal challenge. BTW also, have you installed Ascencion Mod, yet?
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 09:45 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Galadria:
Great, Dundee. Now I know why you like Sorceres. SIX Horrid Wiltings. LOL. By the way, why no sleep? Personal challenge. BTW also, have you installed Ascencion Mod, yet?

I am trying to complete ToB in record time, so I am using the Wish spell to skip sleeping; and I will install the Ascension Mod after I complete ToB with this Sorcerer.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:33 AM   #5
Jim
Quintesson

Nice work [img]smile.gif[/img]

(sorry only just found this post) I thought improved demogorgon was immune to lower resistance and pierce shield (i've read in other posts that they'vw had problems like "magic resistance lowered by xx%") or is it only lower resistance that he's immune to?

I have used that wish spell to avoid resting too, but even when my mage had a wisdom of 18, it still took a few loads until I got the magic rest wish. (I suppose it's easier with a sorceror because you can cast something like 6 instances of it)

What are the stats for your sorcerer?

Well done again.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 06:52 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Credit to another boardie for informing me that Demogorgan is affected by Pierce Shield. The battletext does not indicate that his magic resistance is lowered, but so long as you see the greyish sphere form on the target, it means that his magic resistance has been lowered. Demogorgan is supposed to be immuned to spells level 6 and below, so he is immuned to Lower Resistance. Breach still works on him though.

The stats I started with,

STR: 12
CON: 17
DEX: 18
INT: 18
WIS: 18
CHA: 12

Now,

STR: 12
CON: 16
DEX: 18
INT: 19
WIS: 20
CHA: 14

I know INT does nothing for a Sorcerer, but I do not really like the idea of having a 'dumb' Sorcerer. It bugs me.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:24 PM   #7
StormCast
Dungeon Master

Where do u get that second Wis??? I only can find one for my sorc???
Three Rings for the elven kings under the sky,<br />Seven for the dvarf lords in their halls of stone,<br />Nine for mortal men doomed to die,<br />And One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,<br />In the lands of Mordor where the shadows lie.<p>One Ring to rule them all,<br />One Ring to find them,<br />One ring to bring them all,<br />And in the darkness bind them.<br />In the lands of Mordor where the shadows lie.<p><br />StormCast
StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 05:33 PM   #8
Jim
Quintesson

quote:
Where do u get that second Wis??? I only can find one for my sorc???

Assuming he's good, one from hell and one from the machine of Lum the Mad.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:22 AM   #9
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Good job, Dundee. I take it, you were expecting more of a battle of out the whole deal. (I noticed them 10 healing potions. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Ahhh...I shall be there quite soon.
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote