Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2004, 07:53 AM   #21
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:

- What's an optical drive?
A CD drive or DVD drive, or burner.

Quote:

- XP Home or XP Professional?
The differences between them are quite small, if you can get Pro for a good price get it otherwise stick to the Home version.

Quote:

- Microsoft Works 7.0 or Microsoft Office 2003 Basic?
Works is geared to home users, but Office is more universally used. Depends on how important file sharing is to you, I suppose.

Quote:

- Is it worth getting a wireless mouse and keyboard? I've heard they chew through batteries. Should I just get a normal keyboard with optical mouse?
In my experience, wireless mice and kb's aren't terribly necessary. However, some video cards (such as the FX5200) have the ability to output to TVs, so if you plan to sit on the easy chair playing games in front of the projection tv you might have a use for it.

Quote:
Pentium 4 3.2GHz with HT Tech.
HT is overrated, you might be able to save some $$$ by going with a lesser rated chip. HT actually slows down the system (slightly) when used with software, such as games, that don't support HT. This may change in the near future as the technology becomes more prevalent.

Quote:

I want to keep the price under $2000 - this means I've got around $110 to spend on one of the following:

17" Flat Screen CRT Monitor (+ $121) (I know this will make the system more than $2000, but meh!)
Sound Blaster Audigy TM 2 Sound Card (+ $79.20)
5.1 Surround Sound Speakers with Subwoofer (+ $100)

Would it be better to keep the Sound Blaster Live Card and get the Surround Sound speakers rather that get the Audigy card with normal speakers?
I would probably go for the good speakers, and save up for a larger flatscreen monitor (19") later.

[ 05-03-2004, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]