Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2002, 05:25 PM   #1
espeed
Dungeon Master

Has anybody here tried going to fury mode early on. I am currently finishing off chapter 1 and it seems that the fights are getting easier. Im thinking this would be a great chance to take advantage of extra experience and items. Is "Fury" mode going to be to much for my level 7 characters??? I have 3 tanks,rouge,cleric,sorcerer.
espeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:48 PM   #2
Rawel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes it will be far to much for your chars i think.
My level 15 fighter with a +4 axe and all the stuff you'd expect a
level 15 char to have had a lot of trouble taking on 2 Fury goblins at once. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Moreover you can't return from HOF once you enter meaning you have to finish
the game thus.
Rawel

[ 09-29-2002, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Rawel ]
Rawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:49 PM   #3
espeed
Dungeon Master

pheew! thanx for saving me from a potentially disastrous decision, 2 fury goblins matching it with a lvl 15 fighter makes me quiver at the thought of switching lvl 7 dudes over.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:56 PM   #4
Magness
Quintesson

I started a new game in HoF mode with the game completed first party.

Played it up into the caves under the hord fortress, near the end of chapter 1. I got bored with it. It was all about summoning monsters to do your fighting. My 16+ level tanks were getting hit nearly every time and my spell casters wouldn't inflict enough damage to turn the tide in any battle. Only summoned monsters had enough punch to win battles for me.

I didn't want to spend the entire game depending on summoned monsters to do all of my fighting. I don't mind summoning 1 or 2 monsters to be my cannon fodder, but HoF forced me to use them as my primary combatants. My party's tanks were often left to being the final line of defense against any enemy monsters that ignored my own monsters. Boring.

I've gone back to non-HoF and simply cranked up the difficulty a level. More entertaining.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 05:46 PM   #5
espeed
Dungeon Master

I never knew HOF would be that hard!!!! About raising the difficulty level as an alternative, do the XP gains also increase with the increase in difficulty????? and do you also get better items of fallen enemies????
Old 09-30-2002, 08:50 PM   #6
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

i believe they do.
twice the exp generally for insane difficulty level.

heart of fury does wierd stuff.
far as i can tell all monsters get +100 HP to whatever they had, +2000 exp points (or more) and extreemly high armour classes and insane thaco. Resistances also go though the roof.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:39 PM   #7
espeed
Dungeon Master

Holy shit! No way am I going to play HOF, id get my ass handed to me on a silver plater [img]smile.gif[/img] Ill play insane(but not that insane) difficulty instead.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:42 AM   #8
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Hey Mr Espeed, im considering making a "increased difficulty" mod for IWDII. ive allready done such mods for BG1, IDW/HOW/Trials and almost finished the one for BG2/Throne of bhaal.
basically all critters get 3x hp and 2x exp. harder than insane, but not as hard as HOF.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:48 PM   #9
Lynthar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am going through IWD2 in HofF mode. I started with 17th level characters. I have only rarely had to summon monsters to help, the fight at the fortress was one of them. I have used the spells chromatic orb, finger of death, earthquake, wail of the banshee and various power words and symbols with very good success (in addition to always going into battle with defensive harmony, recitation and haste). I do lose at least one or two tanks in most battles if I am not real careful about keeping everyone together so I can use mass heal. I was receiving about 600 hundred experiance points per goblin when I started. I think I am down to about 400 or 500 per goblin now. The magic items for sale are real nice, but expensive. The ones I found so far are just the standard for starting out a party. Its a blast being able to use the high level spells extensively. It did require that I use new tactics. No more rushing the enemy, ya gotta be real sneaky!
Old 10-02-2002, 08:29 PM   #10
espeed
Dungeon Master

WOW!! I cant wait till I finish the game so I can play through HOF!