Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
Dancing Virginia
The Magister

I have two characters (Paladin and Cleric) that can turn undead. However, when I select this option during battle, nothing really seems to happen. What am I doing wrong? Are my characters simply not powerful enough to do any real damage when turning?

Can you turn "shadowed" undead?

In an unrelated matter, what is the hotkey that reveals treasure/searchable areas on the main view?

Thanks,
Cary
Old 12-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

It's possible that, in a 6 person party, you aren't powerful enough to turn the undead in your area (yes, shadowed undead can be turned). However, you may not be using the ability correctly.

1. You can't be doing anything but turning when Turn Undead is active, otherwise the effect is cancelled.
2. Turn Undead only activates every round (or so, I forget exactly how long it takes), so you may have to stand around to get it to work.
3. Clerics turn undead better than paladins.

Since you are agains shadowed undead, I'm assuming you are in the Severed Hand. Did the ability work while turning the undead of the Vale of Shadows?

In a completely unrelated answer, I believe its "alt".
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

It is the 'Alt' key...assuming you have Heart of Winter installed.

You will be able to tell if Turning Undead is successful by watching your opponents. If any of them start walking away after being engulfed for a moment in blue energy, they've been turned. If they just explode, they've been turned - only better. Though if you're using an evil cleric, you may gain control of them instead.

Note that you can walk around while turning undead.

Continuing on, if you've been thorough in your searching, you should have enough experience to turn regular undead. However, shadowed undead are very hard to turn, so you'd be better off throwing your cleric into combat than trying to use this ability in the Severed Hand.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
Roboghost
Manshoon

Also...

1. What difficulty mode are you playing? The higher you go the harder it is to turn the buggers [I'm guessing.]

2. In the character screen, you should see a "level" number that shows you what their turning power is. If a paladin and a cleric both have a 6 (for example) -- their turning power is exactly the same -- but, the paladin gains two levels slower than a cleric. So, a paladin can't start turning until level 3!

3. The spell Undead Ward can give this number a nice boost [{hint} there is an item in HoW that comes with this spell.]

4. Here is a link to a table that shows just what that number can do if playing in normal mode: http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/iwd...rnundead.shtml

[ 12-28-2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Roboghost ]
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quick note - I don't believe that Undead Ward adds anything to your turning skill. It creates an area in which undead are turned as if at the level of the casting cleric or paladin, enabling your character to "turn" and act at the same time.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Yes, Undead Ward is useful in a bottleneck and especially useful when exporing a certain area in TotLM.

I wish it were useful in HoF, though.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

I just completed a run-thru of IWD1-HOW-TOTL and found my cleric to be enormously useful and capable at turning undead. By the time I was nearing the end of IWD1, he was blowing up undead with his turnings.

Just leave the cleric immediately behind my pally and fighter (while they're holding the line) and within a few seconds, most undead monsters within ... oh, say 8-10' will go boom.

I didn't really bother with turning in the Vale of Shadows. I didn't usually want the undead monsters running away. I wanted them to come to papa!!!
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote