Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 01:23 AM   #51
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Well in my case, the "voices" in my head "explained" to me what was happening. Or in other words I recieved guidance from on the inside in the form of words, visions and dreams. I also actively seek spiritual growth and having episodic expiriences similiar to Schizophrenia on this path is a well documented phenomenon from across time and cultures. Oh, I also asked other people more knowledgable and expirienced than me in the realm of Mysticism/Shamanism. There is a structure and purpose underlying expiriences like mine that greatly differs from schiztophrenic delusions.
Who do you believe these voices were?
[/QUOTE]My Self.
Quote:

Do you find the Christian notion that they are demons offensive or are you open to that idea?
I would rather not discuss this angle in respect to the moratorium and due to other considerations. Suffice to say that the notion that mental instability accompanied by unusual inner voices are the work demons is not exclusively Christian nor neccessarily offensive either.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:35 AM   #52
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing:
A little more on the background of this school of thought. In reading this though, I wonder if Jung was so successful in his treatments why didn't it catch on. My theory is it was to late and behaviorism was to established. http://www.jungcircle.com/exile.html
Jungian school of thought is a great influence on my own. I think alot of his theories ranging from Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious, to Dream Alchemy, Synchroncity, and more in addition to his approach and style were both before and ahead of thier time! This is my theory why his theories didn't grow deep into the mainstream.

[cynicism]That- and now-a-days drug treatments are easier and more profitable than in-depth personal pyscotherapy/counseling. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img] [/cynicism]

That said- Jungian counselors are not *that* hard to find.

Oh yeah... thanks for the link!

[ 09-03-2004, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 09-03-2004, 02:12 AM   #53
chimaera
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing:
The theory is their brain still functions but its receptors are perceiving something completly different than what we see.
That is not that difficult
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:58 AM   #54
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Overly simplistic but in a way a good demonsration. The first illusion of the stepping feet gives some perspective I think. People in this spiritual state are one with the universe very connected aware of every little thing. Just like the bars moving in synchronicity they move as one with their universe. When you add a variable like the light and dark lines the bars don't change but to us they apear different. People who are in this spirit state don't change on the outside they become more connected. We however see them as changed and it affects our judgment and perception of them. They are responding to a different place and stimulous while we are perceiving from a different place and stimulous. IMHO Based on interviews and observation. And again not every case is Spiritual Psycosis but every case should be treated with the holistic approach.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:34 PM   #55
chimaera
Dungeon Master

If these illusions are simplistic, how do you explain them?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #56
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Some of the most simple things, to me are the hardest to explain. What I mean is when I look at the illusions I say hey that's cool and I enjoy them. But then to start applying the concept to a subject is where theory comes in.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:07 PM   #57
chimaera
Dungeon Master

If you find it difficult to explain illusions, how can you so easily explain hallucinations?
Old 09-03-2004, 03:59 PM   #58
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

I just see an illusion as something that can be explained and an hallucination as something to be experienced. Outsiders can try and explain these but the people who know this best are the patients followed by the family and doctors who are intimate with them. That is why it is so important to listen to the patient and explore this reality of theirs. I often feel the best therapists are the ones who have gone through the illness themselves. They provide background others can't.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:40 PM   #59
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Some more interesting points from an interview about Schizophrenia and spirituality.

More than two thirds of patients being treated for psychiatric problems indicate that spirituality is important to them, according to a number of survey studies worldwide. That’s compared to just ten percent of psychiatrists acknowledging the spiritual needs of their patients as important, and only three percent of this ten mustering up the courage to ask their clients about their spiritual beliefs. http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/mind/s569671.htm

[ 09-03-2004, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Nightwing ]
Old 09-04-2004, 02:22 AM   #60
chimaera
Dungeon Master

Including spirituality into the treatment does not equal the statement that hallucinations are visions.