Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2004, 01:45 PM   #1
Midget Gems

Cool Dude

Ok, my party of three Multi-Class Clerics has just completed the game, but we chickened out of attempting Werewolf Island on our own. I figured the weapon restrictions were going to be too hard to overcome, when it came to fighting Greater Werewolves. To avoid the problem I borrowed Ajantis as a sword-hand to help us win the 'boss' fights. Mission accomplished - game over, but now I'm wondering if I could have done it without him. So my question is this, can a party of Clerics beat the Greater Werewolves and if so what can they use to get the job done?

[ 04-12-2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Midget Gems ]
Old 04-12-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Well, you've got a Fighter/Cleric with Ashideena, a Cleric/Thief with the Staff Mace (allows Backstabs and the use of Kiel's Buckler), and a Cleric/Mage with the Staff of Striking.

F/C also has a Potion of Storm Giant Strength, and C/T has several Potions of Invisibility (as Backstabbing the sucker seems to be the only way to go). Since you're Multiclassed, you won't be able to cast the better spells like Greater Malison, Emotion, or Hold Monster, but at least you'll have the all-important ones of Slow and Haste. The BIG question is whether the lycanthropes, being half Human, will be susceptible to Hold Person. If they are, a trio of Clerics should find the place a cakewalk.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #3
Midget Gems

Good points there, Six. I really wish I'd gone for it now.
I tend to neglect backstabbing, but the staff-mace would be a good choice. I tried a wide range of spells on the Greater Werewolf and pretty much everything was blocked by 'magic resistance'. I didn't bother with wands but sometimes they get in a hit or two. Staying alive is never easy in the big fights; on the ship I hid everyone in the cabin and blocked off the doorway with a Cleric in 'Sanctuary', then I picked off all the ordinary Werewolves with ranged attack. Once isolated the Greater Werewolf can be finished off in hand-to-claw combat.
With this party (and I'm sure you guessed it was me with Tiax and Quayle) we must have thown just about every enchanted rock that could be found on the Sword Coast. We didn't have to bury the dead, they were already under piles of stones.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

How are you going to hit the Greater Werewolf without that silver dagger?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:55 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
How are you going to hit the Greater Werewolf without that silver dagger?
Actually, there are three other weapons that do him in, but they are all edged weapons as well (3 swords and one dagger). Thus, someone soloing BG1 with a cleric or druid (or, in this case, having all clerics), is going to have trouble once they hit that part. Ajantis solved this problem, since he could use the required weapon. But if he was never brought along then the party would have been hosed.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:07 AM   #6
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

i've just soloed a beastmaster thorugh BG courtesy of TuTu and think you'd have struggled to kill the big bad wolves without the effective weapons

i did try necklace of missile-ing him and he took a bit of temporary damage from it but nothing like enough - maybe if you 'slow'ed his regeneration and hit fast enough with spells then maybe . . .

PS: Its possible to do everything but the last guy and still get off the island though
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 05:24 PM   #7
Midget Gems

So have I got this correct - I would need a +3 weapon to hit the Greater Werewolf (and the Loup Garou) and Clerics have access to a few of these. That missile weapons aren't +3 so they are no good and their magic resistance is very high so most spells are useless. However, a few wand shots might do some damage, so my Clerics could just about make it.

Six, as far as I can remember the regular werewolves were caught by Hold Person, but the big guys had too much resistance and good saves.

Armen, it was partly from reading your posting that I got worried about being unable to complete the fight. But now I figure that his re-generation was your problem and I think that it doesn't happen with plain BG1/TOTSC.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:50 PM   #8
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Midget Gems:
. . . now I figure that his re-generation was your problem and I think that it doesn't happen with plain BG1/TOTSC.
dammit! [img]smile.gif[/img]

i hesitate to say much of anything now but in tutu at least the +3 quarterstaff didn't touch him (weapon ineffective)
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:27 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Armen:
quote:
Originally posted by Midget Gems:
. . . now I figure that his re-generation was your problem and I think that it doesn't happen with plain BG1/TOTSC.
dammit! [img]smile.gif[/img]

i hesitate to say much of anything now but in tutu at least the +3 quarterstaff didn't touch him (weapon ineffective)
[/QUOTE]It's not the plus of the weapon with the last guy. There are only 4 weapons PERIOD that do damage to him, as far as I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I remember whacking on him with everything I had (+3 two-handed sword, etc.) and only those 4 weapons worked. I also checked GameBanshee just for the heck of it, and in their walkthrough they also state that only those 4 weapons work. Like I said, could be wrong about that, but if I'm not that pretty much means you can't beat him with a solo cleric or druid.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 02:15 AM   #10
Midget Gems

The 3 Clerics (Part 2) - Return to Werewolf Island
Spoilers
Now that I understand the weapon restrictions properly, it was time to return and set the record straight. I had a saved game from earlier in the adventure (at lower levels) so the 3C's set off for a showdown with the Big Bad Wolf. The fight was short and very clinical - we used Sanctuary to get the perfect defensive position, then picked off the regular Werewolves one at a time. Finally the mighty Greater Werewolf was dispatched with a Wand of Heavens.

It is strange that the game designers gave my Clerics very liitle choice in terms of tactics for this fight. As far as I can tell there is nothing else to do here, since they can't use weapons against him. The label on the device says 'Magical Wand' , but it might as well have said 'Death Ray' from outer-space. It requires no skill or knowledge, so it makes for very poor roleplaying (unless you count shopping as an aquired skill). If I'd been soloing the result could have been much the same, it may just have been a little harder to manipulate the defensive position required.

Thanks for the advice guys, now what shall I try next?