Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2003, 02:33 PM   #1
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Only in America can you abuse drugs, enter rehab, and proceed to return to MAKING charges rather that FACING charges. Hypocrit. Drug users deserve stiff penalties, Rush, or don't you remember your own twattle? Tell me some more about the lame pot-smoking hippies.

If Rush were a $30K a year factory worker conservative rather than one of the wealthy famous elite that own most of this country, justice might be blind. But, apparently, lady justice's blindfold doesn't block the color GREEN.

Rush Limbaugh Returns From Rehab
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: November 17, 2003
Filed at 2:12 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rush Limbaugh returned to radio Monday after what he called ``five intense weeks'' of rehab for an addiction to painkillers, promising listeners ``even more honesty to come.''

The conservative commentator thanked his listeners for their concern, and assured them that his ordeal would not affect his radio program.

``I've not been phony here, I've not been artificial on the program,'' he said. ``I was all of that elsewhere.'' He did not elaborate.

Limbaugh had not appeared on the air since Oct. 10, before going into a rehabilitation program in Arizona.

``I spent five intense weeks, probably the most educational and intense five weeks on myself that I have ever spent. I would have had no idea how to do this myself,'' Limbaugh said at the start of his syndicated radio program.

He also said ``there is a whole lot of stuff I can tell you that I can't tell you yet.'' He said it's not because he's afraid, adding, ``There's even more honesty to come.''

Limbaugh had said he started taking prescription painkillers ``some years ago'' when a doctor prescribed them following spinal surgery. Back pain stemming from the surgery persisted, Limbaugh said, so he kept taking pills and became hooked.

Admitting he was powerless over his addiction, Limbaugh said he learned more about himself during rehab than he ever had. He called it as important as the first grade.

``I am no longer trying to live my life by making other people happy,'' he said, broadcasting from a Manhattan studio. ``I can no longer turn the power of my feelings over to other people.''

He admitted he had to study up to see what has gone on while he was away, and quickly returned to familiar topics -- attacking Sen. Edward Kennedy, the Massachusetts Democrat.

Limbaugh's show reaches some 600 markets and about 20 million listeners a week, but WABC radio in New York said Monday it expected to attract a larger than usual audience on Limbaugh's first day back.

Since Limbaugh left the show, his spot has been filled by several guest hosts, including Tony Snow, Walter Williams and Matt Drudge.

His brother, David Limbaugh, had announced on the show last week that the commentator was returning, saying he was ``champing at the bit to get back to doing what he does best.''

Limbaugh gave up his job as an ESPN sports analyst Oct. 1, three days after saying on the sports network's ``Sunday NFL Countdown'' that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed. The drug allegations surfaced around the same time.

In the past, Limbaugh had decried drug use and abuse on his bluntly conservative show, arguing that drug crimes deserve punishment.

A law enforcement source in Palm Beach County, where Limbaugh owns a $24 million oceanfront mansion, said last week that Limbaugh's drug use is still under investigation by the state attorney's office.

Reports of possible drug abuse first appeared in the National Enquirer, which quoted his maid as saying she was his drug connection. She said Limbaugh had abused OxyContin and other drugs.

[ 11-17-2003, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 11-17-2003, 07:29 PM   #2
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Rush became addicted to painkillers when he had them prescribed for a back injury and subsequent surgery that didn't work. It's not like he was doing it for the high. Pain will make you do things you normally wouldn't, like break the law or commit suicide.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:06 AM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
Rush became addicted to painkillers when he had them prescribed for a back injury and subsequent surgery that didn't work. It's not like he was doing it for the high. Pain will make you do things you normally wouldn't, like break the law or commit suicide.
Oh, lookee, now we have conservatives adopting "spineless liberal" philosophy. I love it when the shoe is on the other foot.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:08 AM   #4
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Personally, I don't like Rush Limbaugh very much. I think he is extremely arrogant, accusatory, and condescending in his talk show. I tried to watch him once or twice when he also had a TV forum for his show, and I couldn't stand more than about 10 minutes of his vitriolic twattle. However, keeping all that in mind, I think there is a difference between becoming addicted to pain killers and being addicted to some of the more common illegal drugs (which have no "medicinal value" - {marijuana being the one arguable exception}). I've lived with chronic pain before, so I can see how it would be easy to become addicted to the pain medication.

Timber - you made the point that Rush got to return to his radio program because he is one of the "rich elite" rather than a $30K factory worker. There is certainly some truth to that, but it isn't unheard of for a factory worker addicted to pain medication to be allowed to return to work after completing a rehab program also. Again, that is because pain killers aren't viewed in the same light as illegal drugs.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:03 AM   #5
LordKathen

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
I would disagree. I think he is as guilty as what he has judged in the past. Painkillers of that magnitude are a narcitic. Just like Cocain. They are both controlled substances. He broke the law useing and acuiring them. Period. To compare illegaly aquired prescription narcotics to illegaly aquired street drugs does not negate the level of criminal activity he practiced. I have heard him completely bash and judge people doing both. Without knowing anything about the individual cercomstanses in each case. He does what I here fundy conservatives do all the time on talk radio, generlise the issues, place false judgment, and then thank God for his own guidance. He is a hipocrit, and the only way I see a ligitimate respectfull comeback (in more eyes than just the other fundy conserves) is to not only admit the addiction and seek help, but to apologise for the many comments and judgement has made in the past, publicly. I personaly dont care if he does make a comeback. I dont heed the advice from arrogant yet ignorant people like him. But, alot of influencial people do, like some senior citizens for example, and get the wrong impression that all who use drugs are slime.
What kind of impression do you think they have of him now?

P.S. Sorry for my spelling, it is late and I am tired.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:02 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric

That's a good point, Lord Kathan, so let's look at it from a criminal justice standpoint. If charges had been filed against Rush Limbaugh, what punishment could he have expected to recieve. Seeing as how he is a first-time offender, there is a good chance the judge would have given him a suspended sentence on the condition that he enter a Rehab Program.

Rush entered the Rehab Program on his own, so he already did what the courts would have been most likely to do also.

Don't get me wrong...I agree 100% that he would have faced a tougher go of it if he weren't a celebrity, but then that is true for ALL celebrities.

There is a country song called "When Your a Celebrity" and it addresses how differently they are treated in our society. The line that sums it up the best says.....

"You can break any law, and just get community service".

And that's true for any celebrity....not just "Bash" Limbaugh.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:47 PM   #7
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
I would disagree. I think he is as guilty as what he has judged in the past. Painkillers of that magnitude are a narcitic. Just like Cocain. They are both controlled substances. He broke the law useing and acuiring them. Period. To compare illegaly aquired prescription narcotics to illegaly aquired street drugs does not negate the level of criminal activity he practiced. I have heard him completely bash and judge people doing both. Without knowing anything about the individual cercomstanses in each case. He does what I here fundy conservatives do all the time on talk radio, generlise the issues, place false judgment, and then thank God for his own guidance. He is a hipocrit, and the only way I see a ligitimate respectfull comeback (in more eyes than just the other fundy conserves) is to not only admit the addiction and seek help, but to apologise for the many comments and judgement has made in the past, publicly. I personaly dont care if he does make a comeback. I dont heed the advice from arrogant yet ignorant people like him. But, alot of influencial people do, like some senior citizens for example, and get the wrong impression that all who use drugs are slime.
What kind of impression do you think they have of him now?

P.S. Sorry for my spelling, it is late and I am tired.
I would agree with you IF he had not had the medication prescribed to him by a doctor. Once prescribed, if addiction occurs is it really the fault of the patient, or should we be pointing the finger at the doctor who obviously made an errant decision.

Oxycontin is a very good example. Of all the painkillers, Oxycontin is one of the most addictive. Doctors know and understand this, yet they continue to prescribe it to people without a second thought. Most people trust their doctors enough to take the medications they prescribe. I don’t believe anyone knows of every side effect of every medication they have taken before. We have a level of trust we put into our health care professionals.

As for the acts committed while actually addicted, have you ever been addicted to a drug such as this? You cannot possibly understand what it is like to be addicted to something like Oxycontin unless you have actually gone through it. (For reference, I had an extremely bad addiction to an illegal drug. I have since stopped taking the drug and have been clean for over 5 years, however, I can honestly say I am still an addict and will be for the rest of my life. Every day is a personal struggle, so those who say they can understand without experiencing the actual addiction I call ignorant.) You are not in control of yourself. The drug completely takes over your life and controls every action you take. Most people understand that they need to get off the drugs, but they cannot do it. More often than not it isn’t even possible to recover with professional help.

The biggest attributing factor to continued addiction is the blame you place on yourself. You don’t want others to know so you try and hide your addiction. You are embarrassed of your actions, but it is hard to admit to others that you have allowed yourself to become so dependant upon a substance. You end up unable to face your addiction because you are unable to face other people.

Because of my past, I feel sorry for every person who faces an addiction because of the ineptitude of his or her doctors. Maybe this doesn’t apply to Rush and maybe it does. However, either way we don’t know and just because he may have stated things in the past he shouldn’t have, I don’t believe you should judge him now after his ordeal. In my mind, you would be worse than him if you did. He faced an addiction and is attempting to overcome that addiction.

If in the future he makes statements about those who are addicted to various drugs in a derogatory manner, by all means let him have it. If he makes statements about those of us who willingly made the decision to take illegal drugs, we deserve it. When you illegally acquire drugs and put them in your body you accept the addiction as a possibility. That is not always the case for prescribed medications. Judge those who begin their addiction criminally; don’t judge those committing criminal acts because of an addiction.
Maelakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:20 PM   #8
LordKathen

Quote:
Originally posted by Maelakin:

[/qb]
I would agree with you IF he had not had the medication prescribed to him by a doctor. Once prescribed, if addiction occurs is it really the fault of the patient, or should we be pointing the finger at the doctor who obviously made an errant decision.

Are you sure the doctor made an errant decision? Why not point the finger at the company who makes the drug?
He was prescribed the drug, granted, but the prescription ran out and he should have know to seek the advice of his doctor when he was experiancing addictive symptoms. I have had a Nuerologist in the past that was quick to over medicate, therefore I switched doctors.

Oxycontin is a very good example. Of all the painkillers, Oxycontin is one of the most addictive. Doctors know and understand this, yet they continue to prescribe it to people without a second thought. Most people trust their doctors enough to take the medications they prescribe. I don’t believe anyone knows of every side effect of every medication they have taken before. We have a level of trust we put into our health care professionals.

Sure there is a level of trust, but your doctor works for you, and you have the power to direct the doctor and tell how you feel. Putting your vody or mind in their hands completely is wrong from the get go. There are gullable people out there who do this, but I dont think the power hungry Rush is that stupid. Going by his stand on issues regarding these that is.

As for the acts committed while actually addicted, have you ever been addicted to a drug such as this? You cannot possibly understand what it is like to be addicted to something like Oxycontin unless you have actually gone through it. (For reference, I had an extremely bad addiction to an illegal drug. I have since stopped taking the drug and have been clean for over 5 years, however, I can honestly say I am still an addict and will be for the rest of my life. Every day is a personal struggle, so those who say they can understand without experiencing the actual addiction I call ignorant.) You are not in control of yourself. The drug completely takes over your life and controls every action you take. Most people understand that they need to get off the drugs, but they cannot do it. More often than not it isn’t even possible to recover with professional help.

Well yes actually I have experianced a severe addiction to Methaphetimine. Worse than Oxycontin. And obviously broke the law to be on the drug. I over came it on my own and have been clean for 8 years. I watched my best friend and his brother 6 months later both die from Heroin. So yes I know how hard it is. And I also know that it is very individual as to the addiction, the drug, the means, and the end. The only reason I say my opinion of Rush like I hold, is the proclomations he has made about the generalisation of all drugs and all people using them. All I am saying is that he learns from the mistakes he made and acknowledges those wrong proclomations, publicaly.

The biggest attributing factor to continued addiction is the blame you place on yourself. You don’t want others to know so you try and hide your addiction. You are embarrassed of your actions, but it is hard to admit to others that you have allowed yourself to become so dependant upon a substance. You end up unable to face your addiction because you are unable to face other people.

Well, this may be true for some people, like ones in the public eye. But, most the drug addicts I knew and know, tell others with near pride about how high they are or how good they feel. I dont quite agree that it is the biggest contributing factor. Maybe for some, but certainly not all. I think that is what the programs tell you to make you feel better about yourself. Well, I think personaly that is the first thing you need to do, is admit that it is your problem and you are the only one that can truly change the problem. Rush has done that. Good for him. All I said, once again, is he needs to opologise to his audience for the lies he has told in the past.

Because of my past, I feel sorry for every person who faces an addiction because of the ineptitude of his or her doctors. Maybe this doesn’t apply to Rush and maybe it does. However, either way we don’t know and just because he may have stated things in the past he shouldn’t have, I don’t believe you should judge him now after his ordeal. In my mind, you would be worse than him if you did. He faced an addiction and is attempting to overcome that addiction.

Well, I already stated my rebutle on the doctor issue. How many times have you heard the term "get a second opinion"? Enough said.
It will be interesting to see if he can come to terms, not only with the addiction to Oxycontin, bit to his radical false judgments about society as a whole. If he does, then kudos, if not, I wont be surprised.

If in the future he makes statements about those who are addicted to various drugs in a derogatory manner, by all means let him have it. If he makes statements about those of us who willingly made the decision to take illegal drugs, we deserve it. When you illegally acquire drugs and put them in your body you accept the addiction as a possibility. That is not always the case for prescribed medications. Judge those who begin their addiction criminally; don’t judge those committing criminal acts because of an addiction. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I dont think anyone should make the statements in the first place. He is an ignorant tyrant, and this all just to ironic, yet typical.
As far as your last statement, you should not judge anyone ever. I did not judge him, I made statements about what he he has said, and is admiting to. Lets just wait and see where it goes, aye?

[ 11-18-2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: LordKathen ]
Old 11-18-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
sultan

maelakin, thankyou for your frank and open discussion of your own past - it's always interesting to read of another person's experiences and how that's changed their perspective.

while i agree with LK that over the line is over line (ie that's what illegal means), the law has lots of precedents to show that some crimes are worse than others. you dont get life (or the DP) for stealing a storm trooper action figure from the grocery store when you're 11 yrs old (not that i'm admitting to anything!). so, yes, he's a criminal now and should wear the stigmata of that just like any other - but only in proportion to the severity of the crime.

regarding however hypocritical rush may or may not have been in the past, i'm more interested to see if he changes the tune he sings, given his own ordeal. i, for one, dont believe this leopard can change its spots. but only after he proves it will i jump [back] onto the bash limbaugh bandwagon.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:59 PM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

You guys just needed a good class on being a functional addict.

Seriously, LK and Maelakin, thanks for the frank info.