Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2001, 09:39 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Over the past week, I have seen Gen Con descend into fracas after fracas with a bunch of petty quibbling, back-biting, sniping, dirty laundry-airing, and out and out flaming behavior. I am embarrassed, disappointed, appalled, and disgusted.

Ironworks is what YOU make of it. Not Dan. Not Memnoch, nor Javi, nor I, nor Wyvern, nor Cocoa_Spud. YOU...the posters. The members of the Ironworks community. You have the ability to make this the best set of forums on the Internet, or to lower it to become the Great Cosmic Toilet. Right now, it's looking more and more like the Great Cosmic Toilet, and let me tell you something, it's smelling pretty bad, folks.

Just to clear up some potential misunderstandings, let me explain a few things:

1.) If Ziroc, Memnoch, Javi, or I close off a thread, it's because the discussion in that thread became so hurtful to someone or inflammatory in general that any further course along the thread would be futile. Quite often, I leave threads open to try to give people a chance to clear things with each other. After a certain point, it becomes hopeless. After a thread is closed, this does NOT give the participants, or anyone else, license to open a NEW topic to bash the same issue! Please refrain from doing so.

2.) I know we have some visitors here from other forums. We welcome all our guests, and hope that they will become regulars at Ironworks as well. I would strongly ask all of you, if there are "issues" between members at those forums, please keep them at those forums and do not air them at Ironworks. If it doesn't have to do with Ironworks, don't bring it up. Ok?

3.) Memnoch has said this so many times the poor fellow feels like he's spamming it, so I'll take over. Treat one another with respect. Just because you disagree with someone does not give you the right to treat them like dirt publicly. If you can't treat someone with respect...IGNORE them. Overlook them. No one will think the less of you for failing to respond to someone's post, especially if the other person is trying to pick a fight. It takes two to tango, you know.

4.) Please, please, PLEASE take whatever personal issues you have with other members to personal messengers (PMs) or to e-mail. That's what they're there for. It lowers the morale of the entire community to wade through threads that were once on great topics that degenerate into sniping and flame fests between two or more parties. It does not encourage others to start threads if they think that all that will happen is that their topic will result in a flamewar. I understand that in the heat of the moment, one generally doesn't think about such things, but if you feel your anger rising, rather than respond on board, e-mail the person or PM them instead. Be considerate of the other posters.

*sigh* I really wish I didn't have to say these things. They should be self-evident. Someone (I think it was Dio) brought up the issue of a "cooling-off" period, and I think that would be a great idea. I can only hope that everyone will cool down eventually and that Gen Con will return to being a fun and friendly place to be once more.

Thanks,

------------------
Old 09-17-2001, 09:45 PM   #2
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Excellent Sazerac...I think i can tell you are pretty distressed. It is disheartening...Fly the straight and narrow and all will be cool. Thank you for your optimum performance as a mod and same goes for all Ironworks moderators!

But i have just one question:

Why doesnt Cocoa Spud post in General Discussions?
Old 09-17-2001, 09:45 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Please don't take this as an attack on your freedom of speech, but as a request for consideration to your fellow members. I will still defend to the death your right to state your opinion, as long as you respect others while doing so. Fair enough?

I apologize for not being here all the time Saz - all the action seems to happen when I'm asleep. You're doing an exemplary job, mate, and I am proud to stand with you.

Sorry Saz - I used the wrong smiley earlier!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 09-17-2001).]
Old 09-17-2001, 09:48 PM   #4
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

As long as I am here, I shall try to atleast follow with a very good idea of the no spamming rule. If you see me spamming please tell me as I am now posting actual posts now, and I hate to see 20 of these beauts go to waste.

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!

Old 09-17-2001, 09:48 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Please don't take this as an attack on your freedom of speech, but as a request for consideration to your fellow members. I will still defend to the death your right to state your opinion, as long as you respect others while doing so. Fair enough?

I apologize for not being here all the time Saz - all the action seems to happen when I'm asleep. You're doing an exemplary job, mate, and I am proud to stand with you.

As I am with you, Memnoch. LOL, I guess it's luck of the draw, huh? No one can be here 24/7, which is why it's good that we're on opposite sides of the globe; you get one shift, Ertai gets one, and I get one.

And I second AND third Memnoch's first statement above. I may not like what you post, but if it's an honest opinion, I will defend your right to post it...AS LONG as it's not a flame at someone else.

------------------
Old 09-17-2001, 09:49 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil:
As long as I am here, I shall try to atleast follow with a very good idea of the no spamming rule. If you see me spamming please tell me as I am now posting actual posts now, and I hate to see 20 of these beauts go to waste.

You're doing great, Gwhanos. Best of luck with the Pit!

------------------
Old 09-17-2001, 09:59 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil:

You're doing fine, mate. Look, you're a Red Wizard already...no longer a drow with a big nose.

------------------
Old 09-17-2001, 10:12 PM   #8
Tananda
Elminster

Thanks, Saz, these unpleasant things had to be said.
And thanks to all the mods here for their excellent job, I imagine how hard it is for you now.
It is my strong belief, that GD forum will "regain consciousness" very soon, and I hope all of us, posters, will do ours best to become as friendly and tolerant as we have been.

Tanda

[This message has been edited by Tananda (edited 09-17-2001).]
Old 09-17-2001, 10:24 PM   #9
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I totally agree. I may be new to the IRONWORKS FORUM but you have made a
definite point Sazerac. This is a gaming forum not a pent up frustration forum
lets try to be friends and maybe try to help each other while the rest of
this pore world of ours may be close to total distruction it would nice to
have one place to go that is peaceful and that different people of different
countries can come to neutral ground and have some good clean fun. Hell we may
even make a few new friends, lets hope.

P.S. WAR IS NOT A GAME!!---WAR GAMES ARE

------------------
The Blade Makes The Man
The Man Made The Blade
Death To All That Stand
In Their Way! BEWARE ALL!
Old 09-17-2001, 10:40 PM   #10
Liliara
Red Wizard of Thay

I truly have been trying to tone it down a bit! I have learned much from this forum about tolerance. I do love IW. I understand where you are coming from and will try my best to do my part.

------------------

Captain of Bouncers, Boogre Bar

LH Member

And you never did think that it ever would happen again, in America did you? And you never did think that we'd ever get together again, but we damn sure fooled ya. We're walkin' real proud and we're talkin' real loud again, in America. And you never did think that it ever would happen again.... (Charlie Daniels)