Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2003, 12:04 AM   #1
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Does a full plot synopsis exist for IWD? If so, can someone link to it for me?

(I know there's the whole "play the game yourself" thing, but I've tried playing IWD, and it's not my cup of tea. I'm toying with the idea of a BG2 fanfic to take my mind off things, and thinking about introducing a disillusioned dwarf that was involved in IWD events, as if she'd been in an IWD party that played through the game and then went through BG2. I know the basic plot, but the history and background escapes me.)
Old 07-02-2003, 01:30 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow

Erm... okey-dokey... I will try to summarise the events in IWD. I shall, on purpose, leave out the plotlines of HoW and TotL, since those are totally different and separate stories from IWD.

!!!!MAJOR Plot Spoilers!!!!
~
~
~
~
!
~
~
~
~
You basically control a party of adventurers who have travelled to the Ten Towns for various reasons. If you read their background stories in the character screen, you will see that Clerics are there to try and spread their Faith, Bards are there to learn new tales, etc... ...

A Demon that goes by the moniker of Brother Poliquien(sp?) wishes to do what all Demons usually want to do, rule the world. [img]tongue.gif[/img] If you remember the introduction, you will recall the tale of the Barbarian who saved his men by sacrificing himself to seal a portal that was pouring out Demons. Brother Pol wishes to unseal that portal, and the portal happens to be in the basement of the temple in the town that you started out in.

There is another Demon, an arch-enemy of Brother Pol, who resides in Dragon's Eye. Yuxomei was building up an army to beat the crap out of Brother Pol, but unfortunately you came into the picture and destroyed her and her army. Ironically, things could have been different if Yuxomei was not so arrogant and just allied with you and lend you the damn Scrying Stone which you needed for Arundel to see what was causing all the troubles in the region.

Brother Pol had tried to get rid of you earlier on by instructing the Frost Giants to cause an avalanche onto your initial expedition party in the Kuldahar Pass. Fortunately, you survived.

Speaking of which, Brother Pol has 6 Generals. So after beating the crap out of these 6 Generals who each hold a key that unlocks the way to Brother Pol, you discover that the merchant that was in the initial town was a traitor and had been spying for Brother Pol. In the final showdown where Brother Pol succeeds in breaking the seal of the portal, the Priest of Tempus that had been bad-mouthing the Barbarian, finally sees that what the Barbarian did was noble and does the same thing that the Barbarian did so many generations ago, sacrificing himself to seal the portal once more.

Once Brother Pol is defeated... you find out a twist in the epilogue. I will not spoil you on what it is... but in my personal opinion, it is by far, one of the best end-game plot-twist ever. I enjoyed the ending of IWD more than the endings of the BG Trilogy.

What I have typed above is merely the skeleton, the backbone, the... bare foundation of the entire IWD storyline. Playing IWD is like reading an interactive storybook. The gameplay is linear, but the story is compelling if you are willing to take the time and listen to all the conversations, read all the books you come across, and think about the events.

It is true that IWD is mostly hack and slash, but it has a pretty solid background story too, and one that I enjoy very much. Just imagine that you are a playing a fantasy novel.

To tease you somemore... there is a very comprehensive substory behind the Severed Hand and Dorn's Deep. It can easily qualify as a story on its' own, considering the mind-boggling scope of the details behind it. Its' tentacles spread even to Kuldahar and if you are patient, you can even paint a few silver linings in the tragic, tragic, tragic tale of an old Elves-Dwarves Alliance.

Tip: READ the books and talk with EVERYBODY to find out the whole sordid tale. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Oh... and click and read everything that has a description.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

!!!!MAJOR Plot Spoilers!!!!

To tease you somemore... there is a very comprehensive substory behind the Severed Hand and Dorn's Deep. It can easily qualify as a story on its' own, considering the mind-boggling scope of the details behind it. Its' tentacles spread even to Kuldahar and if you are patient, you can even paint a few silver linings in the tragic, tragic, tragic tale of an old Elves-Dwarves Alliance.

[/i] [/QB]
Possible Spoiler
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Damn Nym...
Old 07-02-2003, 11:56 PM   #4
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I'm meeting my friends this weekend for a party, and one of them owns IWD (and never plays it). Going to see if I can bum the game off her and do some note-taking powergaming.