Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2003, 12:05 PM   #1
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Well, now that we have been talking a bit about making nerfed characters as well as playing with full parties instead of soloing I have got an idea.

Instead of having big meaty characters with semigodly to godly stats what about this:

The party would be made of six characters: Each would have 18 in one ability and 9 in the rest. (Even if they could racially have more they should have 18 as max).

The idea is that there should be one with 18 STR, one with 18 DEX, one with 18 CON, one with 18 INT, one with 18 WIS and one with 18 CHA.

I don't know what races/classes they should be. Any comments?
Old 01-24-2003, 12:27 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Well i say Maximum possibilty.

Party:

Dwarf-Fighter-Berseker
Elf,Half-Elf-Ranger/Cleric
Elf-Mage/Thief
Human-Assasain
Human-Bounty Hunter
Elf-Archer

Xen
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I don't think Xen read the first post. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2003, 12:36 PM   #4
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

To rephrase it the idea is that we have six characters with these stats:

Character 1 (prolly a fighter of sorts).

STR 18
DEX 9
CON 9
INT 9
WIS 9
CHA 9

Character 2 (most likely some kind of thief).

STR 9
DEX 18
CON 9
INT 9
WIS 9
CHA 9

Character 3 (probably also a fighter-thingie).

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 18
INT 9
WIS 9
CHA 9

Character 4 (a wizard, I assume).

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 9
INT 18
WIS 9
CHA 9

Character 5 (a cleric, I guess).

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 9
INT 9
WIS 18
CHA 9

Character 6 (I dunno, maybe a sorcerer, or a bard).

STR 9
DEX 9
CON 9
INT 9
WIS 9
CHA 18

The concept should be rather clear.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #5
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well if you did include say, a Ranger or a Paladin, you could push the vital stats down to minimum, and, leave the rest at 9. With the exception of course being that if your fighter type, you would leave Strength or Constitution at 18.

Speaking from experience, Zach, my average shmoe, does just fine with average numbers. If needs be, he "hulks" out with the Girdle of Fortitude. If the situation demands, Zach, even with only mediorce at best stats, can become a total rampaging terror. As a fighter, he has great THAC0, he has solid hit points, he can, if need be, take quite a beating before he goes down. Proving once again, you don't need to have maxed stat characters, it is merely a bit of gravy.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:06 PM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Nope, no rangers, druids and paladins then. (You don't need them anyway).

Regular (or kitted) fighters will have to do.

What are the minimum requirements for sorcerers, bards, monks and barbarians by the way?
Old 01-24-2003, 01:11 PM   #7
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, Sorcerers, Barbarians, and Monks would work. Bards have some rather decent minimums for the class kit.

You know, one of your characters should be a Monk for when you need hit power. But, I don't know if you would want 18 str or dex. Low dex, pissy AC. low str, bad THAC0 and poor damage. But I am sure it could be done.

But, who would be the Bhaalspawn?
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 01:19 PM   #8
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

The one with the Charisma bonus.

Charisma means "godly gift" you know.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Here is my idea:

The STR 18 guy: Half-orc fighter.

The DEX 18 guy: Halfling thief.

The CON 18 guy: Dwarwen barbarian.

The INT 18 guy: Elven wizard.

The WIS 18 guy: Human cleric.

The CHA 18 guy: Half-Elf bhaalspawn sorcerer.

Not a shabby party when you think of it.

[ 01-24-2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Indemaijinj ]
Old 01-24-2003, 01:24 PM   #10
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

STR - Most certainly a Fighter. Make him an Elven Berserker, the drawbacks of being an Elf is completely overshadowed by the restrictions you're giving your characters anyway, so he can make up for his poor CON by getting a good AC and still be a decent tank. Gloves of Dexterity will give him the -4 AC Bonus he so desperately will need.

DEX - I'd go with a Thief as well, this is a character that will keep a great distance from anything hostile at all times, thus, a Bounty Hunter would be nice. The Bounty Hunter can "throw" their special traps in position from a distance if I recall correctly (at least Yoshimo could) allowing him to remain useful during fights, even if he's not anywhere near the heat of battle.

CON - I'm positive that a Barbarian would be the ultimate choice for this set of stats, he will relay on huge amounts of life and great damage resistances, rather than AC, to be able to tank anything. His immunity to backstab only adds to his unsurpassed ability to be able to soak up any form of physical damage. Give him a Strength belt as soon as possible though, lest he be quite useless in battle, as well as the Defender of Easthaven to further improve his resistances. A Dwarf or Halfling would be ideal races since it would allow you to make even greater use of the high CON you will give this character (by giving him a massive boost to his Saving throws)

INT - A Mage, of course, not much else to add, any kind of Mage and any race will do nicely with this set of stats, and none of the restrictions will really hurt him much. Just make sure not to waste this slot on a Sorceress.
WIS - Obviously a Cleric, race or type of cleric wont matter much I think, but just make sure he stays just as far away from anything hostile as the Bounty Hunter, since he will be terribly fragile and weak.

CHA - A Sorceress is really the only choice here. A Bard isn't possible since he has to have at least 13 INT and 12 DEX. Besides, this party setup really could use more magic firepower, which makes a Sorceress pretty much ideal.

[ 01-24-2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Rataxes ]