Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 02:03 PM   #1
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

I was trying to save a game after a fairly rough battle before going in to the fortress and the stupid game crashed right in the middle of the save. I started the game again and the whole save file is GONE!! I checked in the game's files to see if I could find it and its completely gone! What the heck happened to it? I just don't understand why I'm having all of these problems when no one else seems to. Its a tad frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
NewbietoRPGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

I can think of ways to retrieve part of that save, but theres no way to get an intact one. Some files will be the new save, so will be the old, and some will be a hidious combination of the two.

You'll have to play from an autosave or any convinient save. Sucks, but its not that tedious, youll get through faster now that you know how to do it.

As for why your having problems, what kind of crashes are you seeing and what hardware do you have?
Old 07-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Andrewas, here's what I have for H/W:

XP Pro Serv. Pack 1
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
1.53 GHz
256 MB RAM
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
20G harddrive

I just don't understand why the game keeps crashing for no reason. I can be just walking along and ZAP back to my desktop screen. I'm using the latest patch but that only helped VERY tiny bit. I tired turning off all unnecessary programs but to no avail. What do you think?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:29 PM   #4
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

May not helped but have you tweaked the game options. By that I mean running on minimum? No screen shaking, turning sounds down or off, that sort of thing. Have no idea if it will help or not. For what it is worth, I had to start IW2 over three times due to various problems.
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Reeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:32 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

The TNT2 is very slow for that processor, but I wouldn't expect that to cause any crashes. Are you getting problems in other games, or is it just IWD2? If its more general, I would suspect overheating or maybe bad drivers.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:24 PM   #6
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

TNT2 is slow huh? Shoot. I just bought the darn thing a couple of months ago! Ahh well, newbie mistake. I was having the same problem with NWN too. But, I haven't played that in a while...Not sure I like the game really. I did just update DirectX to the newest version. We'll see if that helps. I'm not entirely sure how to update the drivers for my video card. I went to the website and then got confused as to which driver to download and such. The version I have is 3.1.0.0. Any helpful hints to hand down? Or maybe you or someone could direct me to a better card that's not crazy expensive?
Old 07-23-2003, 04:28 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

That card is 5 generations out of date. The drivers you need are here:http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_44.03

Nvidia use a unified driver, the same program will install the right drivers for any TNT or Geforce series card, so although it claims to be for GeforceFX it is in fact the right file. If you wanted to cut down the download size you could hunt for an older version that would have the same TNT2 files but wouldn't have the Geforce files you dont need.

If you want to replace the card, your choices are the ATI radeon 5700 at the top end, or the geforce4 Ti series if you want to save some money. Be careful to check the AGP slot on your motherboard, the fact your system came with a TNT2 indicates someone might have cut corners.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:36 AM   #8
NewbietoRPGs
Drow Warrior

Thank you so much for the advice I'm going to update the driver first and then go from there. Again, thank you! With any luck this'll do the trick!