Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

First off, let me say that there's nothing wrong with asking for advice or giving it. In fact, I've seen lots of wonderful threads and heard some very helpful tips here!

BUT, please remember that this is an internet forum and people posting here can certainly be what they claim to be but just as often they can be something else.

Please keep in mind that even if you ask a legitimate doctor for advice, he or she is unable to make a diagnosis from just posts online. Without seeing a medical professional in person, the best they can do is give you an educated guess as to what your problem might be.

Similarly, not all legal professionals are up on the laws in every area the members of IW come from. So please, remember that if you seek advice of a medical or legal sort you must make your own decision whether to act or not act on it.

My own advice: Always see a doctor IN PERSON if you feel you have any illness or injury that needs attention.

[ 05-19-2003, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 05-19-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I agree cloudy [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 03:38 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Thanks for the reminder, Cloudy. It applies all around. Any sort of advice here is only in the hypothetical. As it is the professional's responsibility to ensure that a professional-client relationship is not misconstrued where it should not be, there is nothing wrong with helping us police ourselves. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I try to put the appropriate CYA language in when hypothersizing about folksez' problems. I certainly hope I don't ever give the wrong impression.

For those who seek advice, at least from my profession, it must ALWAYS be referred to a lawyer in your area. www.martindale.com is what I use to look for lawyers when I need them, and it will let you specify the geographical area and legal expertise you need.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:39 PM   #4
MagiK

You can thank our lawyer buddies for the need for disclaimers

Just kidding TL...you know I love you ***Big old smoochies***

Old 05-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
Lavindathar
Harper

Cloudy, how did you know Timber really works on a marketstall?

I followed his advice, and lost an arm and a leg.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

TL, no worries! In fact I have posted similar things on another (defunct)board.

I just saw a lot of people asking for professional help in the Cafe and many individual threads and felt we should remind everyone that although there are some caring people here who help when they can, it's important to remember this is a message board and not everyone IS a good person or what they claim to be online. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Besides, in the medical situations, I know my OWN doctor won't even diagnose things over the telephone - always wants to see me in person for anything not already ongoing. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
My own advice: Always see a doctor IN PERSON if you feel you have any illness or injury that needs attention.
And this is the point Attalus and I always try to point out. Since we, especially Attalus since he is a physician, can't diagnose by the net we are not able to help as much as a physician can in a real life visit. If you are feeling under the weather and you are worried, go see your physician.

Edit: I just wanted to add something. Some people feel embarrased by making an appointment to their physician. NEVER do that! It is your health you are worried about. There is absolutely no weakness in seeing a doctor no matter how small a problem. If you have a nasty cold and feel terrible, go see your physician! If you sprained your ankle and are in pain, go see your physician! You will always get help, and that is something that should never be spurned.

[ 05-19-2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 05-19-2003, 04:34 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
And this is the point Attalus and I always try to point out. Since we, especially Attalus since he is a physician, can't diagnose by the net we are not able to help as much as a physician can in a real life visit. If you are feeling under the weather and you are worried, go see your physician. [/QUOTE]Yes, you both do this and it's one reason I thought to post this now. I've seen you both give lots of great help and advice and I note that you always include the above in your posts! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 04:40 PM   #9
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Will do. Always go and see my GP anyway, and I think I've only posted one thing on here regarding my health. Good thread, Cloudstein. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2003, 04:45 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, Horatio! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Willow! You pegged me in your edit! I'm one of those people who hates to 'bother' my doctor with something 'simple' etc... and I usually don't go unless I'm really feeling horrible. Once I had a nurse chew me out for waiting so long every time I got sick. [img]smile.gif[/img]