Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2001, 01:54 PM   #11
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Me too! I'm gonna go have a bath then go out to rehearsal! See y'all later!

------------------

Old 08-28-2001, 02:01 PM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Me too! I'm gonna go have a bath then go out to rehearsal! See y'all later!

When you get back, tell us what you're rehearsing for! Cool!

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-28-2001, 05:30 PM   #13
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
When you get back, tell us what you're rehearsing for! Cool!
Pantomime. Jack and the Beanstalk this year. I'm playing the part of one of 'The Two Fat Ladies', (well known UK TV cooks) who are making a 'guest appearance'. I'm very pleased - I play the biker one, which is appropriate 'cos I used to be a motorcyclist...
I have never been one to cook 'posh nosh' though, lol!
Also, I don't have too many lines which is a relief after being in Abigail's Party!

------------------

Old 08-28-2001, 06:00 PM   #14
Rikard

Fjots you cannot force us to way GATS
-----------------------------
Men in White Cloths come in
The drag Rikard away
They look amazed at rik's new sig
They press reply button
-----------------------------
OR..
What i wanted to say
LOOK AT MY SIGNATURE

------------------

OMG I have no Arms
Wait I don't have a body either

Old 08-28-2001, 06:03 PM   #15
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Fljotsdale: By "pantomime" do you mean what we call in the states puppet theatre? That's fascinating! It sounds like it will be fun for you, especially with the role you have.

Over here, a pantomime is a play that's done without words; just people moving and acting like charades. Some people get annoyed by it, but I think that's by the "in your face" street mimes who "pick" on passersby at carnivals, LOL! I've been to an actual stage pantomime and it was pretty cool.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 08-28-2001, 06:13 PM   #16
Fljotsdale

No! British Panto is quite a different tradition. They are based on Nursery Tales, like Jack and the Beanstalk, Babes in the Wood, etc. We TALK, don't mime. Traditionally, the Dame is played by a man, and the Leading Man is played by a woman. There are ALWAYS custard pies thrown at some stage in the proceedings (this year I am one of the ones that get custard pied ). It is full of innuendo that is supposed to go over the heads of the children and amuse the adults, but it's often the other way round...!
It is all vey silly and lots of fun!
And it is hard work to make it work properly... Timing is everything!

------------------

Old 08-28-2001, 06:20 PM   #17
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
Fjots you cannot force us to way GATS
Lol! Hullo, Rikard!
You mean I can't twist your arm and FORCE you read educational stuff? Sigh. Can't say I blame you, lol!
But the GATS thread IS interesting!

I've looked at your sig. Very nice. Are you saying it is THE SIG?
I still don't understand it, if so! I'm not all that bright, you know - but don't tell anyone, 'cos some people in here think I'm clever!

------------------

Old 08-28-2001, 09:41 PM   #18
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
No! British Panto is quite a different tradition. They are based on Nursery Tales, like Jack and the Beanstalk, Babes in the Wood, etc. We TALK, don't mime. Traditionally, the Dame is played by a man, and the Leading Man is played by a woman. There are ALWAYS custard pies thrown at some stage in the proceedings (this year I am one of the ones that get custard pied ). It is full of innuendo that is supposed to go over the heads of the children and amuse the adults, but it's often the other way round...!
It is all vey silly and lots of fun!
And it is hard work to make it work properly... Timing is everything!

Thanks for explaining that, Fljotsdale. You are right, it is quite different...sounds more like a farce, and less "artsy-fartsy" than an American pantomime. American pantomime I think is a lot like the Old Italian Commedia Del'Arte of Harlequin, Columbine, Punchinello, etc...except no words.

Maybe one day I'll get to see a British panto. Sounds like it's a hoot!

------------------
Old 08-29-2001, 04:59 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

No need to delete it, let it serve as a warning to all.

------------------
Old 08-29-2001, 06:43 AM   #20
Epona
Zartan

And it's turned into an interesting discussion in its own right!

Saz, what you describe is interesting - we now use the word to mean what Fljotsdale described, but it has a long history going back to Roman times where (although I am no expert on Roman theatre) I believe its origins were more like you describe, silent, slapstick humour involving masks. I think it became more serious later as the Roman love of farce went out of fashion.
British Panto is more like the 'Carry On' films type of humour, and is really very British. I'm afraid to say that I hate it, but many people do enjoy it, especially if they take their kids to see it at Christmas - good, not-quite-clean family entertainment!

If anyone has a more intelligent and knowledgeable understanding of the history of early pantomime I would be interested to hear their views.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas