Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2001, 07:01 AM   #1
FallenPaladin
Dungeon Master

For all of you D&D experts out there, what do all the +'s (+1,+2,+3) mean? Are they just added to your damage points, so if you have a +3 weapon and you rolled a 5 you do 8 damage, (I don't thik that's it right?) or do they mean something else?
Old 07-12-2001, 07:08 AM   #2
kitson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Example - A sword +3 would mean it is +3 to hit , and +3 Damage.

your THAC0 (To Hit Armour Class 0) would be reduced by 3 when using the sword.

Old 07-12-2001, 08:11 AM   #3
Rikard

+3 to damage does just that, the roll you get and 3 added to that
also some monsters need +1,2,3 or higher to be hit

------------------

Old 07-12-2001, 08:20 AM   #4
FallenPaladin
Dungeon Master

Just that? So what's the big difference between a +3 and a +4 sword, 1 point of damage and one point of THACO?
Old 07-12-2001, 09:16 AM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

95% of all foes may be damaged by weapons of +3 enchantment, but some very highly magical foes require +4 enchantment. Also, if you're facing a mage and he casts Improved Mantle then you'll need +4 to damage that mage.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 07-12-2001, 09:27 AM   #6
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

This is why I always fail to get excited by the +5 swords and so on, I always looked to see what the speed factor is. I figure I can do more damage with a fast +2 or +3 sword than a fast +4 halberd. What I find confusing is the different types of damage, i.e. piercing, slashing, blunt etc. does it still deal the same damage or does piercing increase the likelyhoof of criticals or what?
Old 07-12-2001, 01:42 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Slashing, crushing, piercing, and missile are simply different forms of physical damage. Some types of armor are better against piercing. For example, your armor class is currently 3 and you are wearing splint mail; splint mail has a piercing modifier of -1, so your effective armor class against piercing weapons (daggers, short swords, spears, etc.) is 2. The only combination to concern yourself with is chain mail versus crushing weapons, because the modifier is +2.

No damage type increases the possibility of a critical hit, though. A weapon that deals out 1d8 + 3 damage does 4 - 11 damage; the damage type depends upon the type of weapon.

------------------
An intelligent mind is the key to the universe.

The most distressing thing about practicing magic is the fact that even the most learned sorcerers cannot accurately describe what magic *is*....
Old 07-12-2001, 02:07 PM   #8
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Also some creatures can only be hit be certain weapons. I believe clay golems fall in that category. Ie they have to be hit by blunt weapons to do full damage to them. Skeletons for example only take full damage from crushing weapons and will only take half from piercing.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
Old 07-12-2001, 02:17 PM   #9
Rikard

It might not seem a lot but you do get a 5% better change of hitting someone
Áctually if you are a fighter, with this +1 weapon is the difference between your current level and your next because it lowers you thaco
That +1 to hit can be very important as you yourself must have notests sometimes your character end a battle wioth only 2 or 3 hp left, If that monster had a +1 weapon you would have been dead
It doesn't seem a lot but it's always useful

------------------

Old 07-12-2001, 04:18 PM   #10
Tuor
Elminster

Going back slightly the +1,+2,+3 works in reverse for armour and saving throws in that it actually reduces your AC or saving throw which is beneficial.

+1 may not seem like a lot but Baldurs Gate two combat is calculated using a 20 sided dice simulator so the bonus is actually far more beneficial than it sounds.

minor spoiler

Clay golems can only be injured by +1 or better blunt weapons-clubs, hammers, maces and the like.