Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2001, 06:38 AM   #1
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

I know, I know, it's different for everyone but what I like to do is create a "standard" party of 6, so I can get a taste of what the game is like outside the townwalls and reading in the manual.
Perhaps I'm too much of a perfectionist because I keep reading it trying to figure out what is THE best possible clan/role/gender combination
And then when I'm at the Inn generating chars I keep forgetting what class needs what and start doubting my plans... hehe, I guess I need a little break and chill out or something

But if anyone has a good tip on how to create a quick party to get a feel of the actual gameplay, I'm all ears. When I get a hang of the controls and other funtions (for some reason I find them not so easy...) I'll start anew and most likely make a totally new party with new characters.

Snoekie.
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 06:59 AM   #2
mortification
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I like the following for variety and fun right off the bat:

Guork fighter (male) - go for Barbarian immediately
Whiskas fighter (male) - go for Ranger immediately
Dwarf priest (female) - go for Paladin once you get the higher Spirit spells
Oophaz wizard (femlae) - go for Warlock after getting Sun spells
Ratling thief (female)
Elf wizard (female) - go for Warlock after getting Stone spells

in that order. This protects the low HP guys. You could also try a gnome thief, but I really like the extra gold from the ratling. Also a pixie wizard is fun but the low HP and carrying capacity make it tough. Finally you could swap out the Guork fighter for a human fighter. I'd keep the Whiskah though since when your first play ngiht-vision is pretty important.

You can also convert the spellcasters to Warlock immediately if you want. Personally I like to level about 5-6 times, and then switch, since getting 5-6 levels in the early going is really easy. Hence you can effectively get 12 levels for the price of about 8. This goes for the other characters too if you have the patience.

Make sure to think about the role change when rolling up, since you can get stuck for many, many levels if you don't plan the stats. Also I like to shoot for 70 stat points total when rolling (and nothing below 5).

------------------
(This space intentionally left blank)
mortification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 07:32 AM   #3
Snoekie
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the input, mortification. I'll go ahead and make that party you suggested.
I forgot to ask: How about the initial stats? They seems to be random and other than spending some points after the game has given my new char his stats I don't think I can change that, right?
Ofcourse clan/role/gender make a difference but what are the maximum and minimum stats of, say, a gourk warrior?
If I understand correctly rerolling doesn't help and could make matters even worse.

Snoekie.
Snoekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 08:21 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Snoekie -

Rerolling when you are CREATING your character is worthwhile - I think the thread you are remembering is on rerolling when "leveling up" - different altogether!

You will be able to increase stats during the game - with anhks and other items, but it is still a good idea to make a pretty good character from the start!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 08:30 AM   #5
Thamrys Greybeard
Dungeon Master

Hello Mortification & Snoekie,
I just started (I'm still futzing around Valeia) so take my words with a grain of salt ... This is what I did: I created a whatever party, and played around Valeia until I got the hang of the game (of course I did not read the manual!); I read a lot of the messages in the forum, and following some of the links given (this is the discovery part I really enjoy). Then I restarted (and not knowing how, see above, I ended up deleting the WW directory and re-installing ... twice)and created the following party, based on what I read. They all have stats between 70-80, and are able to change roles from the beginning: One lizzord barbarian; two Whiskhas paladins; one elf warlock and one oomphaz warlock. The final member is either another Lizzord barbarian or another elf warlock - I have both, and can't decide! The reason for the many warlocks is that in all RPG games I have played I go for bow/arrow, but in this game this is not a very good option - and wizzzards (sic) have lovely long distance spells...
What do you think? Mind you, I agree with others who say one should not spend too much time on the initial party, the objective is to have fun ... but for me this IS part of the fun!
Thamrys Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 09:23 AM   #6
Moni

I used all human males...

3 Warriors, one went Paladin the other two Samurai
1 Priest turned Zenmaster
1 Thief/Ninja/Assassin
1 Wizard/Warlock

Moni

anyone planning to make a comment on their NAMES...shush!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 05-16-2001).]
Old 05-16-2001, 09:39 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Moni - awwwwwwwwww

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 10:04 AM   #8
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

Roles and classes are very important in party definition. I must admit, I'm not very familiar with big parties in this game. I'm now playing my biggest party (3). All my other games were solo. My next game will be probably with 6 Wizards (moved to warlock) or 6 fighters (up to barbarian).

Anyway, I believe that the best Wizards that can be created are Elfs (Female). Thiefts would be rattlings. Fighters: Lizzords, Whiskahs and Gourks.

But remember, read the manual... it give you the best clan for the job.

Have fun.
Ryanamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 10:36 AM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Well, it's my opinion, for what it's worth, but I'll tell you right now, I've played several times through with several combinations, and in the long run, it doesn't make a hoot 'n holler about what you start with or what races you use. I've used all humans, I've used non-humans, and each has their strengths and drawbacks...it'll all come out in the wash.

Just roll up what feels good to you and run with it. If you use an appropriate strategy while playing, it won't matter what races you run. Just join as many guilds as possible, and train your skills as much as possible, keeping an eye out for future upgrades (role ascensions).

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2001, 12:16 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Just to let you know...I've started a new party myself (after taking a breather for a while.) Here's the makeup:

Daegen => Human Male Warrior (he's the one I rolled the 95 on!), ascended to Paladin.

Gruftyr => Dwarf Male Warrior, ascended to Barbarian

Tamerin => Elf Male Warrior, ascended to Ranger

Tzihra => Whiskah Female Priest, plan to ascend to Paladin eventually

Sanjay => Omphaaz Male Wizard, plan to ascend to Warlock eventually

Jeroboa => Rattkin Male Wizard, plan to ascend to Bard, then Assassin eventually.

I'm already having a blast with this setup...it's hilarious seeing a rat in robes and a big purple picture hat running around (hippie rat!). I've also never played an Omphaaz before, so I'm trying him out...so far so good, and I'm really liking the Elf! It's a new twist for me; playing an almost non-human party. I still wanted a human in there for the "Natural Leader" trait to give the rest that added "umph" on their attacks.

Like I said in my above post...play races for the fun of it, not stat-grubbing. With a little rolling, you should get easy-to-maintain characters, even at the beginning. Of course, I've been through it (a few times!) so I sort of know what to expect...that does make it a little easier.

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote