Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2001, 07:20 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

WOW!

I have just finished the first book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone here who recommended it.

I actually found it in a charity bookshop in really good condition, there is no better way to try something out when you're not sure whether you will like it or not (my local library isn't very good).

I was hooked from the first page and read at every available opportunity. I absolutely loved the characters, and can't wait to read book 2. Anyone who hasn't read this should definitely try it!

One question for the WoT veterans (but please don't spoil me): are the original characters in the subsequent books, or are they about different people? The answer will not change whether I buy them or not, just curiosity. And as I said, please, please don't spoil! Just a quick answer, not too much detail...

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Epona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 12:44 PM   #2
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

yup, they are....

can you guess which is my favorite character?

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 09:17 AM   #3
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yup. The characters continue on in the other novels. However, more new characters are introduced in each successive novel. Jordan has so many characters in his storylines that I often can't keep them straight and have to back up to find out who he's talking about. I have no idea how he keeps all of the characters and their respective stories going and intertwined with the rest of the main storyline straight!?

The only thing that I'll caution you on is that some of the later novels get a bit boring for some period of time. Just be prepared for the storyline to slow down a bit in the future. It starts fast but slows just a bit...

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Throntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 09:23 AM   #4
Gray Mage
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
Yup. The characters continue on in the other novels. However, more new characters are introduced in each successive novel. Jordan has so many characters in his storylines that I often can't keep them straight and have to back up to find out who he's talking about. I have no idea how he keeps all of the characters and their respective stories going and intertwined with the rest of the main storyline straight!?

The only thing that I'll caution you on is that some of the later novels get a bit boring for some period of time. Just be prepared for the storyline to slow down a bit in the future. It starts fast but slows just a bit...

Yes, they'll be back, some more than others, which is a disapoinment if you ask me.

Good call about some later parts of the series, I almost stopped reading the books. I am kicking myself now, bacause when i gaot past that part it picked up again.

A great series IMHO

------------------

Feel My Power

Arcane Adept of the OHF, "So let it be written, So let it be done"
Gray Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 09:50 AM   #5
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Very good choice, Epona. I love this series. Read it twice last summer. **shivers down spine** Most of the Characters are in each book, some more than others, but they are all there ... unless of course RJ kills on or two ... or did he?

Rudedawg, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you are a Matt fan. I'm Perrin, personally.

Please, keep us informed, Epona. Fun fun stuff.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2001, 09:28 PM   #6
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:

Rudedawg, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you are a Matt fan. I'm Perrin, personally.
BK
Check my sig....
Now Matt is cool, in a rapscallion sort of way, and i like him, but Perrin all the way!
my old PnP character was named Morgan LightEyes, and it was too easy to make the conversion for my new character.

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Pfil
RudeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2001, 01:25 PM   #7
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

[quote]Originally posted by RudeDawg:
Quote:
Check my sig....
Now Matt is cool, in a rapscallion sort of way, and i like him, but Perrin all the way!
Hmmm, thought it was too obvious.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 02:59 PM   #8
Epona
Zartan

Well I've started book 2, and I see what you mean about lots of characters!

I am having trouble keeping up with the names of all the Aes Sedai! But a gripping read, I have no idea what is going on with this web of intrigue, and I can't wait to find out!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Epona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 12:54 PM   #9
Dramnek_Ulk

I ventured out to a bookstore of local repute, and there upon the shelves i did see books 1-6 of wheel of time series for £1.99 EACH. I've read book 1-5 and they are quite good, although the story does slow down. I think he was trying to prolong it so as to make as much cash out of it as posssible.

------------------

BOW before your Dread lord and ultimate tyrant lyachtu Xvim!

bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow
bow

BOW TO HIM!
Old 05-29-2001, 10:39 AM   #10
dominions
Elminster

Quote:
I think he was trying to prolong it so as to make as much cash out of it as posssible.
A somewhat cynical point of view, Dramnek_Ulk. It could be that he had a definite "plan" for the whole thing in the beginning, but he's run out of steam. That or the heart-attack(?) has affected his writing.

It might be that he's being held to his obligations for 12 books by his publisher. I got the feeling this happened to Salvatore with regard to the Drizzt Do'Urden books.

Still, you might be right.

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironwork Gaming Forum
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote